Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Smittybily Wrangler tj questions (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/smittybily-wrangler-tj-questions-230443.html)

parker21 03-26-2013 10:31 AM

Smittybily Wrangler tj questions

I just ordered smittybilt xrc tube fenders and a smittybilt xrc stinger front bumper for my tj. Just wondering if anybody has any good/bad reviews of this. And maybe could give some tips on installing. Thanks

tkfx 03-26-2013 10:34 AM

I've had a good experirnce with them. Everything installed without a problem. Only thing sbout smittybuilt is that their products are heavvvyy

SinfulDragon 03-26-2013 10:35 AM

I have a smitty XRC front bumper, not the stinger, but what I have to say here doesn't much relate to style.
PB Blaster, lots of it, T55 Torx bit, and I stripped out 1 bolt. Had to use a pipe wrench to get it the rest of the way off. After the stock bumper removal, used supplied new hardware and the install was much smoother/easier that the uninstall of the factory items.

mrpotatohead 03-26-2013 10:39 AM

My stinger went on in about 15 min including stock bumper removal. I've used it to be pulled out, to pull out, and put the lower half into the side of a BMW. The crinkle coat holds up moderately well. About as well as you could expect from metal on metal and metal on tree. It looks about as aerodynamic as the rest of the Jeep but didn't notice a change in mpg.

blkrubi88 03-26-2013 11:43 AM

My stinger, rock sliders, and rear bumper with tire carrier all went on without issues and I'm happy. Tube fenders are still in the garage, have plans to modify them before installing.

audi 4A wrangler 03-26-2013 12:00 PM

i have the src series front and rear. as far as smittybilt finish and quality, i have no complaints.

parker21 03-26-2013 01:55 PM

Thanks guys for all the replies. I am looking forward to getting these on and will definately post some before and after pics!

LouieDelTorchio 03-26-2013 02:08 PM

I have the stinger front bumper and it took me 30 40 minutes to install due to having to take my winch and plate off and on. I like the look and it seems like it will protect my winch some. Havent tested it too much yet though.

xndrxw 03-26-2013 02:12 PM

I have Smittybilts roof rack which I had to man handle to get on properly and I also have their rear corner armor. I had to drive over one to bend it out to put it on. Really easy to do both though. My friend has their front and rear bumper and both went on with no problem.

parker21 04-01-2013 06:34 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I got all the stuf put on and love it! The bumper took about 20 min but the fenders took a little over 4 hours. They look great and hopefully hold up great while offroading

Attachment 230279

blkrubi88 04-01-2013 06:47 PM

Looks good.
Can you post a close pic of your lights for them? I have those tube fenders aswell and I've been debating on different ways to do the marker/singnal lights.

cbush1885 04-01-2013 07:11 PM

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/x...psd55de165.jpg

i got these little 1 wire led lights from autozone for about 4$ with a little modification they work great as marker/turn

btw parker my entire jeep is "almost" all smittybilt and i like it, i have been off road a bit and everything has held up well, everything lined up well when putting it on

the rear corner armor really tied the entire thing together, i got it with the 3" flare because of my front fenders

mrpotatohead 04-01-2013 07:27 PM

Parker what's going on with your rockers? Did you paint them or use a coating?

jp2611 04-01-2013 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parker21 (Post 3581034)
I got all the stuf put on and love it! The bumper took about 20 min but the fenders took a little over 4 hours. They look great and hopefully hold up great while offroading

Attachment 230279

Okay am Jealous....after the TT this fall and regear next year than I can get fenders like that!!

parker21 04-02-2013 03:05 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I just used spray on bed liner that I picked up from advanced auto for about $20.

And my parking lens and blinkers are just zip tied and slid throught the wholes

EnglishBulldog1 04-17-2013 04:25 PM

Just got myself a smitty bumper. Glad to hear it is easy to install and how well it holds up. Should I install the bumper with the winch already installed or install the bumper then winch.

jp2611 04-17-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglishBulldog1 (Post 3649099)
Just got myself a smitty bumper. Glad to hear it is easy to install and how well it holds up. Should I install the bumper with the winch already installed or install the bumper then winch.

IMO, having never actually installed a winch, I would do bumper than the winch. Seems it would be enough of a tough time holding the bumper while mounting than adding the winch weight to the process.

Rubicondon53 04-17-2013 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by parker21 (Post 3554483)
I just ordered smittybilt xrc tube fenders and a smittybilt xrc stinger front bumper for my tj. Just wondering if anybody has any good/bad reviews of this. And maybe could give some tips on installing. Thanks

I've removed my front bumper a couple of times for cleaning and a rust check,, ( no rust ). Use at least a propane torch to heat up the lower torx bolts, they'll come out really easy if you heat them up...

Ginsu 04-17-2013 05:32 PM

You know, I like flat flares, like the Bushwackers, a lot better than flat fenders totally. But that rig looks sharp, nice job.

Nothing but a jeep thing 04-17-2013 05:39 PM

Easy install, rust quickly, heavy. Simple

AirSeaMedic 04-17-2013 09:50 PM

SRC Tube fenders

I also have the Smittybilt tube fenders, and roof rack, seat/tailgate cover and winch they are great.

EnglishBulldog1 04-17-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nothing but a jeep thing (Post 3649371)
Easy install, rust quickly, heavy. Simple

The bumpers rust quickly?

Rubicondon53 04-18-2013 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnglishBulldog1 (Post 3650726)

The bumpers rust quickly?

Yes, unfortunately .... There are many grades of steel. Smity uses the very lowest grade..

O_M_Jeep 04-18-2013 06:26 AM

I have had the XRC stinger and tube fenders for about 2 years now, not a single sign of rust, it's all in how you take care of them, you can beat them to hell and back and not have rust as long as you realize the harder you are the more maintenance you have to do, you want to bolt it on and forget it, yes, its going to rust.

The Stinger is a super-simple install, nothing to it. The Tube fenders are not as I'm sure you found out, I had to trim the battery tray on both sides to get them just right.

As far as durability, the tube fenders are amazing, I weigh 255, in Moab when people look at them and ask about them, I stand on the fender and jump up and down, not so much as a tiny bit of give, they are tough, I have pushed with them, slid on rock and trees on them, even had a buggy park on one side (tire wasnt high enough to flex lol), they are great. I keep a can of semi-gloss bumper black on hand, anytime I chip or scrape the powder coating within a cpl hours I hit it with the can, I do that on all my bumpers, sliders and all 4 fenders, it keeps them nice, clean and rust free.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Avatar003.jpghttp://i854.photobucket.com/albums/a...-01-39_229.jpghttp://i854.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps85929de2.jpg

Rubicondon53 04-18-2013 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O_M_Jeep (Post 3651440)
I have had the XRC stinger and tube fenders for about 2 years now, not a single sign of rust, it's all in how you take care of them, you can beat them to hell and back and not have rust as long as you realize the harder you are the more maintenance you have to do, you want to bolt it on and forget it, yes, its going to rust.

The Stinger is a super-simple install, nothing to it. The Tube fenders are not as I'm sure you found out, I had to trim the battery tray on both sides to get them just right.

As far as durability, the tube fenders are amazing, I weigh 255, in Moab when people look at them and ask about them, I stand on the fender and jump up and down, not so much as a tiny bit of give, they are tough, I have pushed with them, slid on rock and trees on them, even had a buggy park on one side (tire wasnt high enough to flex lol), they are great. I keep a can of semi-gloss bumper black on hand, anytime I chip or scrape the powder coating within a cpl hours I hit it with the can, I do that on all my bumpers, sliders and all 4 fenders, it keeps them nice, clean and rust free.

That all may be true, but you do live in a rust free zone, that stuff would be lucky to make it thru 3 winters anywhere in the northeast, from the Mississippi River to Maine..

Nothing but a jeep thing 04-18-2013 03:46 PM

It's a good brand, don't get me wrong but if your taking it on trails it's gonna get scratched up and expose bare steel. If that's the case just sand prime and touch it up. I have found that if its a smooth finish wax the hell out of it and that seems to help some.

parker21 04-18-2013 06:08 PM

Well either way everyone has there own opinion and to me you can't beat it for $250 for the bumper and $350 for the fenders. Totally changed the look and performance of my jeep for $600 bucks. So even if it does rust or get scratched and beat up, I think it's well worth it. And after all that's what a jeep is for haha

parker21 04-18-2013 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O_M_Jeep (Post 3651440)

The next thing I'm looking to get is a winch. What winch and winch plate did you get? And what was your cost?

EnglishBulldog1 04-18-2013 10:45 PM

Well I will make sure to take extra special care on my number to prevent rust.

O_M_Jeep 04-18-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubicondon53 (Post 3653086)
That all may be true, but you do live in a rust free zone, that stuff would be lucky to make it thru 3 winters anywhere in the northeast, from the Mississippi River to Maine..

I live in Wyoming, 9 months of winter here, and it spends most of it's time covered in snow, ice and permafrost.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/a...psd5d38969.jpg
This pic was taken last Wednesday

Quote:

Originally Posted by parker21 (Post 3653625)
The next thing I'm looking to get is a winch. What winch and winch plate did you get? And what was your cost?

I run the RR 8500 for 3 years now, I use it regularly and on trucks larger than I should, it has yet to ever fail to do what I ask of it, with the XRC stinger you need a raised winch plate (though I dont recall precisely why).

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/a...-53-17_962.jpg

Smittybilt raised winch plate $110

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Imag.../122441-lg.jpg

Smittybilt XRC winch $300

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Imag.../110999-lg.jpg