Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/)
-   -   Stock Rubicon- need Moab trail advice (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/stock-rubicon-need-moab-trail-advice-230540.html)

HK_Runner 03-26-2013 05:11 PM

Stock Rubicon- need Moab trail advice

Work has finally driven me insane so to get my sanity back, we are heading to Moab (April 18-21). Last time, I took my stock 2005 4Runner so stuck to the easier trails. Based on decent driving skills, I want to do some interesting trails that are still okay for my stock Rubi. What are your top 2-3 recommendations?

It will just be my girlfriend and me (unless any of you are planning on Moab that weekend) and I certainly don't want to try anything really tough. I was thinking about Fins 'N Things and maybe Kane Creek. I have not done those. Any thoughts? I have done the easy stuff like Gemini Bridges, and 3-4 of other the easier ones but I forget the names. Good scenery and interesting geographical structures interests us more than the biggest obstacle we can climb over, so I would like to avoid trails where I definitely risk body damage or we risk disappearing forever into a crack in the earth. Thanks!

YJ325i 03-26-2013 09:11 PM

I bought this Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails: Charles A. Wells, Shelley Mayer: 9781934838068: Amazon.com: Books My Wife and I are going in late May. I like the blue trails, but she will only like the green trails. So, we are going on the green trails...:doh:

HK_Runner 03-26-2013 09:18 PM

Yup, I now have the exact same book. :) I was hoping for local knowledge in a sense. I think I will try Fins n Things and maybe Top of the World. Kane Creeks too- just need to make sure a stock Rubi can generally make it through without body damage. I am a careful and slow driver, and I scout lines but lack the experience of most offroaders.

slsbl77 03-27-2013 06:08 AM

Smart...

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ325i (Post 3556661)
I bought this Guide to Moab, UT Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails: Charles A. Wells, Shelley Mayer: 9781934838068: Amazon.com: Books My Wife and I are going in late May. I like the blue trails, but she will only like the green trails. So, we are going on the green trails...:doh:

Going on green trails will insure your happiness in Moab.....

jeepndon 04-01-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_Runner (Post 3555727)
Work has finally driven me insane so to get my sanity back, we are heading to Moab (April 18-21). Last time, I took my stock 2005 4Runner so stuck to the easier trails. Based on decent driving skills, I want to do some interesting trails that are still okay for my stock Rubi. What are your top 2-3 recommendations?

It will just be my girlfriend and me (unless any of you are planning on Moab that weekend) and I certainly don't want to try anything really tough. I was thinking about Fins 'N Things and maybe Kane Creek. I have not done those. Any thoughts? I have done the easy stuff like Gemini Bridges, and 3-4 of other the easier ones but I forget the names. Good scenery and interesting geographical structures interests us more than the biggest obstacle we can climb over, so I would like to avoid trails where I definitely risk body damage or we risk disappearing forever into a crack in the earth. Thanks!

I just took my stock Rubi up to moab EJS has a blast I had no problems with Fins and things it scraped the tow hitch many times but nothing damaging. I also went down 7 mile rim got hung up twice but just changed approch angle and went right through. you should be able to do anything thats rated a 4 or below a 5 will be much more challanging. On Seven mile rim we had a stock Liberty with us and they made it without any damage got stuck pretty good once.

Now I am working on taking my stock stuff off and putting the lift from my 99 TJ on it. :dance:

HK_Runner 04-01-2013 04:19 PM

Oh, VERY good thing you said this. I better take off my longer-than-stock DrawTite hitch. :) I have no winch yet either, so will take a shovel and recovery straps. I hope we don't get stuck but being closer to the weekend means there will be others around.

HK_Runner 04-01-2013 04:23 PM

Oh, I have my eyes on Fin 'n Things, Seven Mile Rim, and Top of the World. Researching the tough obstacle through my guide book and traildamage.com. I am undecided on Kane Creek (may be too tough). May do Bull Canyon (easy) to see Gemini Bridges from underneath.

jeepndon 04-01-2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HK_Runner (Post 3580340)
Oh, I have my eyes on Fin 'n Things, Seven Mile Rim, and Top of the World. Researching the tough obstacle through my guide book and traildamage.com. I am undecided on Kane Creek (may be too tough). May do Bull Canyon (easy) to see Gemini Bridges from underneath.

One thing to do is when you come up to a obsticale your uncertain if you can make it up before you start up it lock front and rear diffs then you won't have to back down and do it. of course what fun is that! I see you have the 2012 Rubicon I think you have 32" tires on that I only had 245/75 on mine that is like 31" I also was not disconnected upfront and still made it without much issue.

HK_Runner 04-01-2013 06:13 PM

Oh, it's fun...more fun than my GF screaming that we are going to flip and die. That tends to distract me.

When things get rough, I usually disco the swaybar. Yes, I have stock 32s. I will make sure to take that hitch off though. I'll take it slow and not hit things too hard.

HK_Runner 04-08-2013 10:35 PM

So much for keeping the Rubi stock (I did last a year stock though). Will post back after my Moab trip...should have it all done before that.