Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Getting Rubi Take Offs Mounted (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/getting-rubi-take-offs-mounted-230704.html)

njskater59 03-27-2013 09:12 AM

Getting Rubi Take Offs Mounted

My uncle drove his rubi straight to the shop to get new tires, lift, etc. He saved his rubi tires with less then 500 miles and gave them to me so when we go wheeling this summer I'll have a bit more traction. I am planning on getting them mounted and balanced tomorrow and here are my options when I called around.

1. STS tire said they would do it for ~$160 and if they couldn't get the TPMS from my tire they would have to order a new one at $80 per. How necessary is this sensor. I check my tires anyway, and don't need a sensor to tell me when I need air.

2. The local non-chrystler dealer said they do it for $20 per tire and a $99 alignment. They never mentioned the TPMS so I am assuming they would swap them or just not bother putting them in, which I don't care about because I can check my own air.

I'm not sure if option 1 includes an alignment, but what would everyone else do? How necessary is the TPMS?

i82much 03-27-2013 09:40 AM

If it were me I'd have the regular shop do it and either skip the alignment or just have them check the alignment and make them show you that it is out. You don't necessarily need an alignment just because you are installing new tires, you need an alignment if your alignment is out whether you are installing new tires or not.

MarcelOrtiz 03-27-2013 10:20 AM

ive done this several times, you dont need any sensors. go to a local shop and the may do it for 80-100$

Ex Umbris Currus 03-27-2013 10:54 AM

$150 AEV Procal, set TPMS to 0. Put in cheap rubber valve stems. Done. I hate the TPMS idiot light. You're going to or should air down off road and the light would be on anyway so I'd get rid of it.

njskater59 03-27-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarcelOrtiz (Post 3559120)
ive done this several times, you dont need any sensors. go to a local shop and the may do it for 80-100$

Sts said they can't put the tires on without sensors because if I crash due to low pressure they are liable.

jkjeeper06 03-27-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njskater59 (Post 3560173)

Sts said they can't put the tires on without sensors because if I crash due to low pressure they are liable.

Go to a mom and pop tire shop. They will do it for you. Probably cheaper faster and better too

tabber02 03-27-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 (Post 3560182)
Go to a mom and pop tire shop. They will do it for you. Probably cheaper faster and better too

best advice you're going to find right there ^^ :thumb: do you have any of those tire shops around that patch and plug tires? i'd bet they'll happily mount all five for under $100... :whistling:

chcg12 03-27-2013 03:44 PM

tires

Best advice is a mom and pop or i went to just tires, they were able to transfer the tpms without a problem although they said sometimes one will break while changing them over. Mine did not break and as like $80.00 Probably dont need any alignment either.

mike1158 03-27-2013 03:54 PM

TPMS is up to you.. but i will tell you this..i just bought a set of 5 for a 2013 off of Ebay for $50... so $80/ wheel ? ?

and i have NO LOVE for STS...they scrathed one of my wife's wheels on her 2011 Grand Cherokee...and after she said no way to them "having it refinished" they replace the wheel...and i caught them putting on a knock off... a JAP reproduction... BUSTED !

I said i want a REAL wheel...and i'm gonna come up there and watch you put it on..and that won't happen until you show me the box...with a MOPAR logo on it.