Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Bad Vibration When Braking (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/bad-vibration-when-braking-230744.html)

TrailHaunter 03-27-2013 12:21 PM

Bad Vibration When Braking

I've started noticing a rather hard vibration when I try to come to a complete stop. My jeep will stop but the vibration keeps getting worse. I'm usually pretty good a figuring these things out but I'm at a loss. Thanks!

JackItUp 03-27-2013 12:37 PM

Could be warped rotors.

Dare 03-27-2013 12:54 PM

sounds like rotors to me also...been down that road before.

TrailHaunter 03-27-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dare (Post 3559726)
sounds like rotors to me also...been down that road before.

I've also never had drum brakes before so forgive my terminology when I try to explain this: the "cover" of the passenger side rear brakes almost wouldn't come off just now when I took my tire off. Now again I've never had drum brakes but I'm assuming it shouldn't be that tight.

bajajohn 03-27-2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrailHaunter (Post 3559782)
I've also never had drum brakes before so forgive my terminology when I try to explain this: the "cover" of the passenger side rear brakes almost wouldn't come off just now when I took my tire off. Now again I've never had drum brakes but I'm assuming it shouldn't be that tight.

You will have to release some of the adjustment. when you get it off you will notice a small ridge on the outside of the inner side of the drum. that is normal wear but will usually prevent the drum from coming off . If the shoe is compleately shot you should hear a grinding noise along with the viberation

TrailHaunter 03-27-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajajohn (Post 3559907)

You will have to release some of the adjustment. when you get it off you will notice a small ridge on the outside of the inner side of the drum. that is normal wear but will usually prevent the drum from coming off . If the shoe is compleately shot you should hear a grinding noise along with the viberation

I was able to wiggle the drum off but it won't go back on now. Should I just be able to adjust the shoe so it goes back on or would I be better off replacing it?

bajajohn 03-27-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrailHaunter (Post 3559920)
I was able to wiggle the drum off but it won't go back on now. Should I just be able to adjust the shoe so it goes back on or would I be better off replacing it?

If the shoe looks ok back off some of the adjustment then re adjust when you get the drum on. Look for crack in drum this can cause viberation when applying the brakes.

kik 03-27-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackItUp (Post 3559669)
Could be warped rotors.

X2. Usually warped rotors.

TrailHaunter 03-27-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajajohn (Post 3559975)

If the shoe looks ok back off some of the adjustment then re adjust when you get the drum on. Look for crack in drum this can cause viberation when applying the brakes.

I pulled the drums off and they aren't cracked. The vibration is still there and I'm not sure where else to turn at this point.

Surfinglbi23 03-27-2013 08:04 PM

How about up front? Disk I assume? Check those

90DesertTanYJ 03-29-2013 06:39 AM

As mentioned, warped discs are the most common reason for braking vibration. One reason they warp is when you hit water when the discs are hot. My 93 GMC truck was the worst for this. About every 10K miles I had to chuck the pads and do a light turn on the discs. Problem solved.

TrailHaunter 03-30-2013 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Surfinglbi23 (Post 3561249)
How about up front? Disk I assume? Check those

Yea it turned out my front rotors were warped so I just replaced both along with new pads.