Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   PLease give opinion on DIY BB/BL kit (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/please-give-opinion-on-diy-bb-bl-kit-230947.html)

mikemounlio 03-28-2013 09:35 AM

PLease give opinion on DIY BB/BL kit

I am a drafter by trade. I work in a cnc machine shop. I have all the tools i need to actually make a coil spacer or body lift kit. I have been looking at all the different kits. It looks as if i could make the kit myself (only because i have a small budget right now {many reasons but the biggest is the wife is switching jobs so funds have to be watched closely})

I do have a few questions tho.

1. how would the ride be if the coil spacers (2") were made from delrin?
2. How would the ride be if i used the stock spacer on top of a 1.75" delrin spacer?

3. If i made spacers for the body could i reuse the stock body mounts ontop of aluminum mounts?

I know that the BB/BL are very cheap. I know most of you will say just save the trouble and buy a kit. My only reason for even thinking about a DIY is because i work in a cnc shop with fully trained machinist and material is all over. All i would have to do is buy new hardware for the BL.

The many thing is just the ride.

Dextreme 03-28-2013 10:49 AM

The ride will be close to what you have now since you are using the stock spring and current shocks.

You can reuse the stock spacers for the springs and BL. Many kits on the market expect you to anyways.

CarolinaBound 03-28-2013 10:54 AM

Delrin should be fine, may or may not be kits out there with it already. Should be better though since I remember back in my paintball days all markers were switching to delrin bolts because they didn't corrode. Correct me if I'm wrong thats way back in the memory banks. The ride won't be any different from stock though. Think about it, you're keeping all the components, just forcing it up a bit higher.
Also there shouldn't be a stock spacer, its more of a partially rotted rubber isolater at this point, doesn't add lift. Threw mine out I think.

And with the body lift you're stacking the pucks, whether they be aluminum/delrin/polyurethane, on top of the stock mounts.

One last thought, if you're making these yourself, I would make the front spacers a bit larger to take out the factory rake and help compensate for any bumper or winch down the road.

mikemounlio 03-28-2013 01:44 PM

Your "partially bound rotted rubber isolater" comment has me thinking just throw out the stock crap and replace with either delrin or aluminum.

So if i fully make coil spacers at 2" and body spacers at 1.25" lets just say out of delrin will the ride feel any different?

UnlimitedLJ04 03-28-2013 02:06 PM

the stock rubber "spacer" is not a "spacer" at all. it's the spring isolator. it keeps the spring from transmitting noise down the frame, and into your cab. imagine your frame as a tuning fork.

you keep those in when you install a lift, even spacers. if yours are rotten, then replace them for about $8 each....or less if you actually search around.

mikemounlio 03-28-2013 02:18 PM

Thanks for the info guys. I just got a PM from a member that is going to give me a great deal on the 2" BB spacers. I will have to buy rear bumpstops to match. In the end i will save about 1/2 price on the BB lift but wont have to make anything. The body lift is still going to be hand made.

mikemounlio 03-29-2013 10:30 AM

It seems that most kits come with bumpstop spacers not actually new bumpstops. The coil spacers i am gett are

1.75" in the front (going to reuse factory isolators with spacers)
2.25" in the rear (NOT using factory isolators)

They will not come with bumpstop spacers. So rather then buy a spacer i can make that with my eyes closed. I just dont know how tall to make them.

Can someone tell me how tall to make the bumpstop spacers for the front and rear? I have 31" tires if that matters. Also i will be disconnecting the sway bars in the front.

UnlimitedLJ04 03-29-2013 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemounlio (Post 3567854)
It seems that most kits come with bumpstop spacers not actually new bumpstops. The coil spacers i am gett are

1.75" in the front (going to reuse factory isolators with spacers)
2.25" in the rear (NOT using factory isolators)

They will not come with bumpstop spacers. So rather then buy a spacer i can make that with my eyes closed. I just dont know how tall to make them.

Can someone tell me how tall to make the bumpstop spacers for the front and rear? I have 31" tires if that matters. Also i will be disconnecting the sway bars in the front.

bumpstop extensions need to be the same height as the spacers. you can easily make them from aluminum, steel, or a hard high density plastic like UHMWPE, HDPE, etc. 2" OD works good for the rear, 3" OD works for the front spring pad base. you want to use bumpstop extensions, which decrease the distance between the bumpstop cup and the pad. that's because the jounce bumper will completely compress into the cup. here's more info on the differences

Patrick H 03-29-2013 10:49 AM

FWIW, the 2"BB spacers I used to run were Delrin. My opinion is that Delrin is more durable and less susceptible to degradation over time than polyurethane.

mikemounlio 03-29-2013 01:07 PM

so my bumpstop spacers should be the same height as the coil spacer itself. The fron BS spacer should be 3" OD by (coil spacer height) With a bore to fit the mounting bolt. Then just replace the mounting bolt with the same type but longer by the spacer amount. Same thing for the rear but 2" OD

UnlimitedLJ04 03-29-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemounlio (Post 3568309)
so my bumpstop spacers should be the same height as the coil spacer itself. The fron BS spacer should be 3" OD by (coil spacer height) With a bore to fit the mounting bolt. Then just replace the mounting bolt with the same type but longer by the spacer amount. Same thing for the rear but 2" OD

don't go over a 2" spacer height due to coil bind, among other reasons.

with a 2" spacer, in front you should be able to get away with 1" bumpstop extension, provided you run 31s, the stock track bar and the stock diff cover.

in the rear, yes you'll need 2" bumpstop extension for 2" BB spacer.

if you want to go higher than that, do it with springs.

mikemounlio 03-29-2013 01:14 PM

Yes track bar and diff cover will be stock. AT 1" BS extension up front will i have problems when i disconnect?

mikemounlio 04-02-2013 02:23 PM

Just to be clear.

Front bump stop spacer should be 3" x 1" (with a clearence hole for stock size bolt)
Rear bump stop spacer should be 2" x 2" (with a clearence hole for stock size bolt)

Do you know what the stock bolt size is?

mikemounlio 04-02-2013 02:50 PM

Does anyone know the bolt size for the front and back that hold the bumpstop cup into place? i would love to have them in hand before the install.

UnlimitedLJ04 04-02-2013 02:56 PM

in front you will drill and tap for 1/2"-13.
the rear is a metric M10, and the frame end is already threaded. you'll need something thats 2" longer than the stock bolt.

mikemounlio 04-02-2013 02:59 PM

Why does the front need tapped?

UnlimitedLJ04 04-02-2013 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemounlio (Post 3585341)
Why does the front need tapped?

you can't thread a bolt in a solid piece of metal.....unless there is a tapped hole in it.

mikemounlio 04-02-2013 03:09 PM

Im not sure what you are talking about.

I was asking if i had the BS extension spacer sizes right, and what size the stock bolts are that hold the BS cup into place.

What is the drill and tap for?

mikemounlio 04-02-2013 03:12 PM

If you look at the bottom of this page they seem to think that the front will not need BS spacers. Would someone please care to give their opinion.
Rubicon Express 2" Budget Boost Installation Write-Up for Jeep TJ

Patrick H 04-02-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemounlio (Post 3585385)
Im not sure what you are talking about.

I was asking if i had the BS extension spacer sizes right, and what size the stock bolts are that hold the BS cup into place.

What is the drill and tap for?

Because the front extensions need to go on the bottom, on the plate under the spring. If you extend the stock upper bump stop cup down, it'll hit the spring when at full droop.

mikemounlio 04-02-2013 04:57 PM

I see now. I just went and looked at how its set up for the 1st time. The kit i bought has longer front bumpstops with it. I just made rear spacers. I have to wait on the install till friday. My current jack was bought to be used with the motorcycle. It is not up for the task.

I will install the kit and flex it out slowly and see how it does. If need be i can make an axle spacer if the BS hist the spring.

Thanks for all the info guys. I understand it now.

Patrick H 04-02-2013 07:29 PM

FWIW, my factory front bump stop cups touch the springs @ full droop. Yours may not, depending on extended shock absorber length.

UnlimitedLJ04 04-03-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemounlio (Post 3585749)
I see now. I just went and looked at how its set up for the 1st time. The kit i bought has longer front bumpstops with it.

there are important difference between longer jounce bumpers, and actual bumpstop extensions. the jounce bumper will fully compress into the cup, so you need to factor that in.

read this:
4 Inch Lift? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com