Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   painting the rims tomorrow, any suggestion for the work? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/painting-the-rims-tomorrow-any-suggestion-for-the-work-231038.html)

Nan 03-28-2013 07:05 PM

painting the rims tomorrow, any suggestion for the work?

i am gonna paint my 2012 sahara stock rims tomorrow.
i want to paint them in flat balck, and do the rings red as my body color.
i think i will sand them first. do the black parts, then do the rings.
anyone who had done any work like this before? cause i think i need some idea and suggestion.
i dont have that alcohol thing to clean my rims, is it ok?
thanks!!!

Sinclair 03-28-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nan (Post 3565186)
i am gonna paint my 2012 sahara stock rims tomorrow.
i want to paint them in flat balck, and do the rings red as my body color.
i think i will sand them first. do the black parts, then do the rings.
anyone who had done any work like this before? cause i think i need some idea and suggestion.
i dont have that alcohol thing to clean my rims, is it ok?
thanks!!!

I painted my stock rubi rims a couple years ago. I used a hand sander with fine grit to remove the clearcoat. Then I wiped all the dust and residue with a tack cloth (I think that's what it is called). This works great for prepping the surface before priming. A few good coats of self-etching primer, then 2-3 coats of flat black. Done.

I removed the tires from the jeep so that i could position them in the sun to dry faster. Also put masking tape on the tires up to where the rim started..... A few minutes of extra prep made the entire job go smoother. I love the way they turned out and they've held up to wear and tear just fine.

chipmonk66gt 03-28-2013 09:03 PM

If you use plastidip, you just need to clean them really well.

08 Ryan X 03-28-2013 09:06 PM

Use plastidip!! If you want to revert backing just peels off! If you want permanant, get them
Powder coated!

Nan 03-28-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinclair (Post 3565401)

I painted my stock rubi rims a couple years ago. I used a hand sander with fine grit to remove the clearcoat. Then I wiped all the dust and residue with a tack cloth (I think that's what it is called). This works great for prepping the surface before priming. A few good coats of self-etching primer, then 2-3 coats of flat black. Done.

I removed the tires from the jeep so that i could position them in the sun to dry faster. Also put masking tape on the tires up to where the rim started..... A few minutes of extra prep made the entire job go smoother. I love the way they turned out and they've held up to wear and tear just fine.

yep. thats what i want to do. thanks.

Nan 03-28-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipmonk66gt (Post 3565628)
If you use plastidip, you just need to clean them really well.

thanks, dud....but i did not get plastic dip and i want to paint them. haha

Nan 03-28-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 08 Ryan X (Post 3565640)
Use plastidip!! If you want to revert backing just peels off! If you want permanant, get them
Powder coated!

thx, buddy. but anyway i will paint my ring red. so...

Sinclair 03-29-2013 07:25 AM

Nan, I didn't know anything about plasti-dip when I did mine. I think I still would do it the same way if I did it over again, though. I knew I wanted it to be permanent. I never imagined that they would still be looking good this far down the line. I think taking the extra time to really sand it down good and prime them is what has kept the paint in such good shape.

One other small tip....I finished them off with a rattle can clear coat. They make a flat finish clear (krylon) that will not dry glossy. It also had a smoothing effect, if that makes sense....looks like it was powder coated without texture.

Post pics when you're done! Good luck!

Nan 03-29-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinclair (Post 3567085)
Nan, I didn't know anything about plasti-dip when I did mine. I think I still would do it the same way if I did it over again, though. I knew I wanted it to be permanent. I never imagined that they would still be looking good this far down the line. I think taking the extra time to really sand it down good and prime them is what has kept the paint in such good shape.

One other small tip....I finished them off with a rattle can clear coat. They make a flat finish clear (krylon) that will not dry glossy. It also had a smoothing effect, if that makes sense....looks like it was powder coated without texture.

Post pics when you're done! Good luck!

thanks so much for ur advice. i will post pics as soon as i finish

cavsvet74 03-29-2013 09:51 AM

You can use index cards to mask off the tire. Just stick them in the bead.

chipmonk66gt 03-29-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavsvet74

Not a bad idea, I used a ton of tape.

Nan 03-30-2013 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavsvet74 (Post 3567482)

i did like what u said the first time when i painted them, but i did the tape way this time. they were awesome. i will post the pics later today.

Jeeplover1 03-30-2013 06:25 AM

U can let some air out and put playing cards around the rim then air it back up

Sinclair 03-30-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nan (Post 3571021)
i did like what u said the first time when i painted them, but i did the tape way this time. they were awesome. i will post the pics later today.

Glad to hear it worked out for you! :thumb:
The index card idea is a good one with the factory rims if you can get them to stay put. I do remember giving up and going with tape when I did mine.