Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Off Road and External Lighting (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/)
-   -   Stock fog light 27 watts? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f132/stock-fog-light-27-watts-231106.html)

OhSixTJ 03-28-2013 09:58 PM

Stock fog light 27 watts?

I upgraded the wiring to these and in the process found out that the bulbs are 27 watt. Kinda low don't you think? Is this normal stock wattage or did the PO skimp out?

justin-branam 03-29-2013 09:16 AM

I honestly can't remember because I replaced mine with LED lights, so don't quote me, but it would seem to me that the fogs would at least be 35 watts if not 55 watts. If you upgraded the wiring, you might as well upgrade the lights too, haha! There seem to be plenty of options out there, from not a lot to break the bank prices. I found out that pushing a tree out of the road and ripping one stock light off is a good reason to "have" to buy a new set :). May work for you if you have a significant other that needs convincing too. Granted, my "other" was my dog, who I had to explain why she was lacking in the treat department that week, haha!

OhSixTJ 03-29-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin-branam (Post 3567562)
I honestly can't remember because I replaced mine with LED lights, so don't quote me, but it would seem to me that the fogs would at least be 35 watts if not 55 watts. If you upgraded the wiring, you might as well upgrade the lights too, haha! There seem to be plenty of options out there, from not a lot to break the bank prices. I found out that pushing a tree out of the road and ripping one stock light off is a good reason to "have" to buy a new set :). May work for you if you have a significant other that needs convincing too. Granted, my "other" was my dog, who I had to explain why she was lacking in the treat department that week, haha!

Yeah I'm pretty sure it said 27w... I'm gonna throw some higher wattage bulbs in there tonight. Might go "wild" and use 100s :O

okkoauto 03-30-2013 08:32 AM

27w LED Light

3 Attachment(s)
Like those one ?

OhSixTJ 03-30-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okkoauto (Post 3571331)
Like those one ?

Well those look cool

OhSixTJ 03-30-2013 06:04 PM

So I upgraded to 100w bulbs and noticed no change in brightness. The only thing that did change was voltage at idle, it's lower now.

okkoauto 04-01-2013 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhSixTJ (Post 3571741)
Well those look cool

yeah ,they can be used on working light and driving light .

justin-branam 04-02-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by okkoauto (Post 3582435)
yeah ,they can be used on working light and driving light .

I have a set of the square diffused LED's like that. They are extremely bright up close and are great for slow "in the woods" driving (don't throw the light incredibly far). I would NOT use these for driving on the roads, as you will blind the crap out of any incoming traffic!!! I tried positioning them a whole bunch of different ways, but they were still blinding. I ended up moving them to the back bumper and they are great for outdoor adventures, and lighting up gates I have to close when driving around the property at night. Stick with some actual "fog lights" if you want to drive on public roads with them on at night, since they cutoff the beam at the right height.