Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Steering stabilizer/damper (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/steering-stabilizer-damper-231242.html)

coolbrain 03-29-2013 03:06 PM

Steering stabilizer/damper

Hey guys I have a question about my steering stabilizer. So I was running 30" bf Goodrich ats and switched to set of used rims and 31" Goodyear wrangler rts. I have a 2" lift (spring/suspension) Since this upgrade I started to feel some wobble at speeds more than 50-55. It's not death wobble just some vibration in front. Like the one you feel at the beginning of death wobble. I had death wobble but i fixed it by putting a bigger bolt in track bar mount. Tires are balanced and i do not see any loose steering components. The guy at the balancing shop told me that one rim needed a lot of weight so i put that in rear. Front tires are balanced well. So yesterday I unbolted the steering stabilizer to see if it was bad, but it seems fine too. although when I compress it, it was much tighter than if I uncompress it. Is that ok? I feel at least it is damping vibrations one way so it may be working a little. I know the only reason of vibration should be is something is loose. What is the best way to check it? I only have 64k miles on it and it has been offroad only a few times.
Any thoughts? Or what should I check next?

Neil F. 03-29-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolbrain (Post 3568677)
Hey guys I have a question about my steering stabilizer. So I was running 30" bf Goodrich ats and switched to set of used rims and 31" Goodyear wrangler rts. I have a 2" lift (spring/suspension) Since this upgrade I started to feel some wobble at speeds more than 50-55. It's not death wobble just some vibration in front. Like the one you feel at the beginning of death wobble. I had death wobble but i fixed it by putting a bigger bolt in track bar mount. Tires are balanced and i do not see any loose steering components. The guy at the balancing shop told me that one rim needed a lot of weight so i put that in rear. Front tires are balanced well. So yesterday I unbolted the steering stabilizer to see if it was bad, but it seems fine too. although when I compress it, it was much tighter than if I uncompress it. Is that ok? I feel at least it is damping vibrations one way so it may be working a little. I know the only reason of vibration should be is something is loose. What is the best way to check it? I only have 64k miles on it and it has been offroad only a few times.
Any thoughts? Or what should I check next?

Speed related wobble usually points to wheel balance. (been there). TJs are very much subject to wobble between 45-55 if the wheels are not dead on for balance. Look into Road Force balancing. (Google it. The Hunter site will have a search for shops in your area that can do it)

The stabilizer is a 50/50. Moving it by hand will not really test that is is ok. Ifg you want a new one, a basic Monroe that costs around 30.00 from the parts store will do just as well as the more expensive big name ones.

Patrick H 03-29-2013 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F. (Post 3569074)
Speed related wobble usually points to wheel balance. (been there). TJs are very much subject to wobble between 45-55 if the wheels are not dead on for balance. Look into Road Force balancing. (Google it. The Hunter site will have a search for shops in your area that can do it)

The stabilizer is a 50/50. Moving it by hand will not really test that is is ok. Ifg you want a new one, a basic Monroe that costs around 30.00 from the parts store will do just as well as the more expensive big name ones.

This. The fact that your wobble started when you had the different wheels and tires installed answers that. If you aren't sure about your steering damper, just replace it and end any doubt.

Jerry Bransford 03-29-2013 07:26 PM

Yep, speed sensitive vibrations/wobbles are nearly always nothing more than an imperfectly balanced tire. The job of a steering stabilizer/damper is not to cure or prevent that type of problem anyway.

Patrick H 03-29-2013 07:32 PM

TJ's seem to be very sensitive to front tire balance. I peeled the weights off of my RF wheel in some rocks, and I didn't even notice any "normal" tire balance vibrations, but @40-50MPH, I got a slight wobble in the steering wheel. I could feel it, and if i let go of the wheel, It would actually shake back and forth slightly. I re-balanced the tires, and the slight shake went away.

larjeep 03-29-2013 07:47 PM

It is the balance. U did not have a problem until u switched. And u will need to have high speed balance done. Road force.

coolbrain 03-31-2013 09:46 AM

Thanks guys will look for that. Till then go slower and save gas :-D