Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Steering Stabilizers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/steering-stabilizers-231441.html)

TJgunner 03-30-2013 12:42 PM

Steering Stabilizers
 
Who runs what on their rig?

I have an OME right now, but the entire suspension is 7yrs old so its getting close to replacement time.

Do i keep with the OME or does anyone suggest something else? Rubicon?

Greengoblin98 03-30-2013 01:13 PM

I'm running rubicon express stabilizer. Works like a dream!

Arch Stanton 03-30-2013 01:34 PM

At just under 74k, I've gone through three SS, and the last two have been Rancho. A mechanic recommended Monroe over Rancho, even though they're both made by the same company.

JeepandMud 03-30-2013 01:45 PM

I have a Pro Comp and so far with how much I've pounded it with rocks, mud, and water it's done wonders for me. I'll most likely end up buying a second just in case.

UnlimitedRubicon 03-30-2013 01:53 PM

I had a Quadratec gift certificate so I used it on an OMESD48 but haven't installed it yet.

TJgunner 03-30-2013 08:19 PM

The rubicon one is cheap, but then again . . . you get what you pay for sometimes too. Perhaps i'll just stick with the OME

Patrick H 03-30-2013 08:23 PM

I have a white one..:) Well, it was until I painted it yesterday because it has a few chips and was kinda grungy looking. It's aftermarket, was on the Jeep when I bought it. Works fine. Steering dampers aren't as critical as shock absorbers. Any decent unit will work, as long as it's the proper length.

Jerry Bransford 03-30-2013 08:30 PM

A steering stabilizer, more accurately known as a steering damper, is basically nothing more than a hydraulic shock valved 50:50 so it resists equally in both directions. About the only difference between them is their quality of paint & thickness of chrome on the strut. I'd run any of the major brands like Rancho, Monroe, OME, etc. without concern. A friend said his ProComp stabilizer started rusting prematurely, probably a good idea to add a coat of paint to a cheaper brand like that.

JeepandMud 03-30-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3573369)
A steering stabilizer, more accurately known as a steering damper, is basically nothing more than a hydraulic shock valved 50:50 so it resists equally in both directions. About the only difference between them is their quality of paint & thickness of chrome on the strut. I'd run any of the major brands like Rancho, Monroe, OME, etc. without concern. A friend said his ProComp stabilizer started rusting prematurely, probably a good idea to add a coat of paint to a cheaper brand like that.

Luckily mine hasn't started to rust in the 2.5 years, but it looks like its time spray it with a rust applicator. Would using rustoleum "sp?" work on it?

Ogre22 03-30-2013 09:07 PM

I just mounted the new fox 2.0 stabilizer.

Jerry Bransford 03-30-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepandMud (Post 3573555)
Luckily mine hasn't started to rust in the 2.5 years, but it looks like its time spray it with a rust applicator. Would using rustoleum "sp?" work on it?

Rustoleum or Krylon. But I believe that Rustoleum tends to run more easily than Krylon does so I've been using only Krylon the last couple years. In my experience, Krylon seems to go on better with fewer problems like runs.

JeepandMud 03-30-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3573592)
Rustoleum or Krylon. But I believe that Rustoleum tends to run more easily than Krylon does so I've been using only Krylon the last couple years. In my experience, Krylon seems to go on better with fewer problems like runs.

Looks like I'm heading for my other project in addition to the one I'll be starting Wednesday. Thanx Jerry.

Patrick H 03-30-2013 09:38 PM

In my experience, Krylon is far superior. I restore antique Coleman lanterns, and I've laid down some paint jobs that could pass for pro body shop work.:)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 AM.