Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Slow build Progress (photos!) (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/slow-build-progress-photos-231598.html)

Jeep Matt 03-31-2013 05:52 AM

Slow build Progress (photos!)

Well guys, finally started slapping some parts on her. Quick review and some shop info for those local and interested! And of course photos! :thumb:

Before I even start, how amazing the community has already been. I have had 3 waves from fellow jeeps in a week's time! Just outstanding!

My initial thoughts are on the 2d sport JK, I can't see having one of these amazing vehicles without a manual transmission. You guys can argue all day about this, and I am sure the automatics are more capable errr (easier) to offroad. For me its all about the experience, and I have completely and utterly have fallen in love with this car, all 6 gears and all! :hide:

This was was purchased with the sole knowledge that most everything was going to be ripped off and replaced. So, here goes! :)

First line of business was the rear seat delete. Very nice to have the extra cargo space. As it only being a 2dr, its been nice to have that little bit of cargo space.

Next, picked up a nice bed liner by 4wheel parts. Doesn't fit as good as oem, but for the price its not a bad bargain liner. I am sure the other liners are of better quality, so if you want cheap, this is decent for what it is.

Next line of business was the mirror relocation kit. I didn't want to hastle with consistently moving the mirrors around when I take the doors on and off. Very content with the build of the kit, although you do lose some visibility on the passenger side. Mounting brackets are fantastic and with a small vice to remove the factory OEM mirror bracket its a piece of cake. :thumb:
http://imageshack.us/a/img585/6997/photolrrc.jpg

Ask for Chris at 4wheel parts in Azusa. He is a nice guy, and usually works something out on labor if you need it. (But who here really has someone else do their work for them?) haha :facepalm:

Next line of business was to be able to conceal a bit of what is inside the rear. With no seats, this was really needed. I went ahead and ordered a bestop tinted window kit. Its sub $300 and definitely gives the car a completely different looks. Fits decently well, although this does have a bit of sag in the rear window.

Now it was time to match the front windows for some additional security by trying to conceal anything left inside (although this is unlikely). For those looking for THE BEST window tinting in socal (they just got an award for the best window tinter) look at sun tammers.

28142 Camino Capistrano Laguna Niguel, CA 92677
(949) 582-8200

http://imageshack.us/a/img827/6415/imagetkuw.jpg

Ask for Frank and tell him Matt with the Jeep, sent you. He is a class act guy, has tinted all of my vehicles, and extremely professional. Not to mention, they usually have some pretty amazing vehicles to look at. Lifted TJ, JK's, Viper, 997 turbo etc. etc. :dance:

So, this leads to getting more serious... No tires, no lift? Not exactly... Had to wait for them to be delivered, so figured I would kill some time getting it tinted etc. ;) Spoke to AJ at Discount Tire Direct. What a professional company and AJ is top notch. Sadly, I did have to cancel my order, as a local tire shop, matched the price! If you guys are local, give Chris at American Tires (discount's sister) a call. Super professional and had them within 48hrs! If you are not local, skip the search and call AJ at Discount Tires Direct!

2050 E 28th St
Signal Hill
(562) 981-5389

I decided on keeping things simple and went with the, "Combo" with tracker 8's instead of the MB72's. The offset I think looks amazing! :thumb: I knew the 33's would be a tad' small, and do think 35's are a better overall fit, but as running 35, and 37's in the past, I felt the 33's were a nice, "reasonable" tire. Very happy.

http://imageshack.us/a/img837/3737/image1lf.jpg

Wait for it... wait for it... :flowers:

The combo. :wavey:

http://imageshack.us/a/img28/5857/image2kb.jpg

Keep posted, Smitty rock rails, Rancho rs9k, and lift next week, then its play time! :D

530ktm 03-31-2013 10:05 AM

:popcorn:

I H8RDS 03-31-2013 10:36 AM

It's amazing what wheels and tires do to the look of a Jeep. The lift will make it look badass. And nice choice on the manual :thumb: Agreed; probably easier to drive and wheel, but IMHO, takes some of the challenge and fun out of wheeling :whistling:

How much fun are you having modding out your Jeep! I'm excited for you!!

Hope to see you on one of my many ongoing runs!

:wavey:

Lorie

Ogre22 03-31-2013 11:01 AM

Not to mention they make you go faster! Nice jeep.

Smokinjoe 03-31-2013 01:07 PM

Hey!!! I love my auto, especially while crawling a large waterfall running 4 to 1 eating a sandwich !!
Yah baby

Jeep Matt 03-31-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokinjoe (Post 3575598)
Hey!!! I love my auto, especially while crawling a large waterfall running 4 to 1 eating a sandwich !!
Yah baby

:dance: Haha, love it! I always wondered why all the auto guys never seemed to want to stop eat. :thumb:

Jeep Matt 03-31-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I H8RDS (Post 3575115)
It's amazing what wheels and tires do to the look of a Jeep. The lift will make it look badass. And nice choice on the manual :thumb: Agreed; probably easier to drive and wheel, but IMHO, takes some of the challenge and fun out of wheeling :whistling:

How much fun are you having modding out your Jeep! I'm excited for you!!

Hope to see you on one of my many ongoing runs!

:wavey:

Lorie

Thanks lorie! Having a blast. Really looking forward to the gaurds and small lift this week! She should be ready for this weekend and some wheelin'! :)

I H8RDS 03-31-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep Matt (Post 3576070)
Thanks lorie! Having a blast. Really looking forward to the gaurds and small lift this week! She should be ready for this weekend and some wheelin'! :)

Well shoot! If that's the case, you should test her out in Calico :D

DaK 03-31-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I H8RDS (Post 3576076)

Well shoot! If that's the case, you should test her out in Calico :D

I agree.

Jeep Matt 04-01-2013 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaK (Post 3576226)
I agree.

Agreed with everyone here. Details on the run? Excited to try it out! :)

I H8RDS 04-01-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep Matt (Post 3578352)
Agreed with everyone here. Details on the run? Excited to try it out! :)

Here's my thread..

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/oll...th-227796.html

Lorie :)

suicideking 04-01-2013 11:23 AM

Great progress so far Matt! Does look great with the new wheels.

Keep throwing money at it! :rofl:

:popcorn:

Jeep Matt 04-01-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I H8RDS (Post 3578410)

I may make an appearance! :wavey:

I H8RDS 04-01-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep Matt (Post 3580248)
I may make an appearance! :wavey:

If you decide you want to come, post up on that thread so I know to look for you! :cool:

Gunner 04-01-2013 05:01 PM

Good looking rig your putting together. You'll have fun on Lories run. Lots for fun people and silliness mixed in which some good rocks and I hope you like "Precious Box" cause it's all she plays and she plays it loud.:thumb:
Oh yeah. It takes someone very secure in his masculinity to drive an auto in this group.:hide::rofl:

I H8RDS 04-01-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 3580474)
Good looking rig your putting together. You'll have fun on Lories run. Lots for fun people and silliness mixed in which some good rocks and I hope you like "Precious Box" cause it's all she plays and she plays it loud.:thumb:
Oh yeah. It takes someone very secure in his masculinity to drive an auto in this group.:hide::rofl:

:rofl: It's NOT all I play Bob!! Have som Floyd, Linkin Park, Metallica playing too...you just didn't hear any of it. :whistling: and then when the mood strikes, a little Luke Bryan, Josh Turner, Billy Currington...even some Ronnie Milsap! You've only been on one run with me. Can't judge by that :rofl:

Gunner 04-01-2013 06:12 PM

Sorry It is what I heard bouncing off the walls of the Canyon like a concert hall. It was a fun time and I am looking forward to my next one with you leading the pack.

I H8RDS 04-01-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 3580726)
Sorry It is what I heard bouncing off the walls of the Canyon like a concert hall. It was a fun time and I am looking forward to my next one with you leading the pack.

:rofl: :punk: Me too! HV will be fun!

Jeep Matt 04-01-2013 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I H8RDS (Post 3580301)
If you decide you want to come, post up on that thread so I know to look for you! :cool:

It's not looking promising for the lift or the rock rails being installed by the weekend. If I can at least get the rails on i'll make an appearance, if not I will more then likely rain check until the next run. :)

I H8RDS 04-02-2013 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep Matt (Post 3582363)

It's not looking promising for the lift or the rock rails being installed by the weekend. If I can at least get the rails on i'll make an appearance, if not I will more then likely rain check until the next run. :)

Seems how you're so new, you could always come on out and ride with me. Invites there ;-)

Jeep Matt 04-02-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I H8RDS (Post 3582730)
Seems how you're so new, you could always come on out and ride with me. Invites there ;-)

Thanks for the invite! :thumb: I've done some wheelin' in my past, but it was with an auto and 37's. Definitely want to get some rock gaurds on before it gets smacked around, haha. :)

I H8RDS 04-02-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep Matt (Post 3586498)
Thanks for the invite! :thumb: I've done some wheelin' in my past, but it was with an auto and 37's. Definitely want to get some rock gaurds on before it gets smacked around, haha. :)

Ohh Ok then..gotcha!

RadarRob2012 04-02-2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeep Matt (Post 3586498)

Brother, that's one ride you don't want to pass up. Not only is she a blast to ride with, but you don't have to worry about busting your junk up on the rocks. Take the ride, enjoy the scenery, and have a good time. Just my two cents worth. Lol

I H8RDS 04-02-2013 09:54 PM

No, it's cool. I get it. I wouldn't want to ride shotgun either if I wasn't a newb. I don't like riding passenger myself either.

Is why JP won't be making it out. His rig is down and doesn't much care to be a passenger.

Once you go wheeler, it's like you can never go back to anything but driver.

RadarRob2012 04-02-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I H8RDS (Post 3586868)
No, it's cool. I get it. I wouldn't want to ride shotgun either if I wasn't a newb. I don't like riding passenger myself either.

Is why JP won't be making it out. His rig is down and doesn't much care to be a passenger.

Once you go wheeler, it's like you can never go back to anything but driver.

Quack!!! Your ass hurts. I've seen you riding shotgun up the Gatekeeper. And laughing all the way up. Lol

Sometimes the view alone is worth the ride.

I H8RDS 04-02-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarRob2012 (Post 3586942)
Quack!!! Your ass hurts. I've seen you riding shotgun up the Gatekeeper. And laughing all the way up. Lol

Sometimes the view alone is worth the ride.

You must have missed the run where I was driving up the Gatekeeper.

And FWIW, the gatekeeper is entirely different than wheeling Calico's trails all day.

RadarRob2012 04-02-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I H8RDS (Post 3586976)

You must have missed the run where I was driving up the Gatekeeper.

And FWIW, the gatekeeper is entirely different than wheeling Calico's trails all day.

Yeah, I missed that one. :( And yeah, the Gatekeeper is a Beast unto itself.

Jeep Matt 04-02-2013 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I H8RDS (Post 3586603)
Ohh Ok then..gotcha!

Maybe I will just make an appearance and run the sections I can. Would be fun to get on the trail for a bit. :dance:

Jeep Matt 04-05-2013 11:34 PM

Continued build, update! :wavey:

Well, this week it saw a few more minor updates. She received the smitty rock rails, daystar rear bumpers, and the rancho 2" sport lift with the 9000xl's. Full review and pictures below!

First up, the daystar bumpers. If you run an aftermarket rim that has a great then 4.5 offset, these fill in nicely for the factory one's, as they increase the length. Build quality is what you would expect for $15. Pretty standard here.

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img819/4623/photo4zr.jpg[/IMG]

Next up were the Smitty rock rails. These definitely appear sturdy in build quality. Sadly, these do not bolt directly on without a little removal of the frame. With a little sanding, they bolted right on. They definitely give the jeep a more rugged look, although I am not 100% sold the design completely matches the body. Overall, for the price of sub $300, you can't go that wrong with them.

http://imageshack.us/a/img515/2505/photo3ng.jpg

http://imageshack.us/a/img713/3639/photo5og.jpg

Now, the big upgrade. Went ahead and spoke to matt with Rancho, and ordered up the Sport lift 2" from Rancho, with the 9000XL's. First, these shocks are fantastic. Sadly, I did get a substantial opposite rake in the front. We toyed around with it a bit, adjusted the shock settings on the 9k's and let it set for the day, but it is still about 1/2" high in the front (from the pinch seem). We double checked everything, and it does appear the rear coil spacers are the 3/4" and not the 1 3/4" for the 2dr model. This seems to make sense as to why the front is a bit high. You guys can see for yourself and judge it for what it is.

Overall driving impressions. Under braking you have very little front dive. Cornering is drastically improved as well as comfort on the highway. These absorb the road in a much more linear and consistent manor in comparison to the factory sport springs/shocks. Really no comparison. :thumb:

After playing around with the different settings, I found, "5" FR and "3" R to be the best balance of comfort and still gaining nice road handling characteristics. Overall, very happy, excluding the front rake.

Wait for it....

http://imageshack.us/a/img507/867/photo2vxn.jpg

:punk:

Fuel door and stereo coming up next! :D

Jeep Matt 04-17-2013 10:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Slow progress the past 2 weeks.

Got the correct rear spacers 1.75" from Rancho for the 2" sport lift. The Rancho 9k's are amazing shocks. Better on road characteristics, as well as even more comfortable on rough terrain. Sits nice and level now.

Attachment 237512

Was bored waiting on the lift, so ended up trying my hand at the VHT brand night shades for the turn signals. For a few dollars, it definitely is worth getting rid of the orange, or cost of purchasing new covers (clear) if you don't enjoy the orange colored signal. A few coats, 3-4 and they look completely black. Night time visibility is not affected either. Overall, very happy for a few bucks. Definitely a tad, "ricer" but prefer the aesthetics of this more.

Attachment 237513

Picked up the rr fuel locking cap. Very nice build quality. Took about 10min with the required power drill and screws. Nice added security for someone wanted to mess with the jeep. For under $100, I think it's well worth it.

Attachment 237514

Up next, stealthbox and stereo! :)