Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Savvy controll arm and popping (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/savvy-controll-arm-and-popping-231704.html)

kpla51 03-31-2013 02:57 PM

Savvy controll arm and popping

2 Attachment(s)
So a week or so ago my upper controll arm bolt fell out. Ya my own fault for not tightening it again. And since I put it back in there's a slight pop when I turn my wheel left and right now the lower bushing on the driver side looks like it's not flush like te passenger side could this cause the pop?

kpla51 03-31-2013 09:03 PM

and how could i fix this

Patrick H 03-31-2013 09:05 PM

The bushings are still in there correctly. The driver side only presses in on the small diameter portion of the bushing's outer sleeve. Is there any play or slop in the bushings?

kpla51 03-31-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3577437)
The bushings are still in there correctly. The driver side only presses in on the small diameter portion of the bushing's outer sleeve. Is there any play or slop in the bushings?

the bushing on the driver side looks to be out further than the passenger side its hard to tell in the picture but the passenger side is almost flush and the driver side isn't

Patrick H 03-31-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpla51 (Post 3577479)
the bushing on the driver side looks to be out further than the passenger side its hard to tell in the picture but the passenger side is almost flush and the driver side isn't

That's what I'm saying. The driver side only presses in on the smaller diameter of the outer sleeve. The passenger side axle bracket has two different diameters, and the larger of the two, on the inside, accepts the larger part of the bushing sleeve so it goes all the way in flush.

Patrick H 03-31-2013 09:24 PM

Your bushings are installed correctly.

kpla51 03-31-2013 09:31 PM

ok well thats solved that but the popping started after i re installed the upper part of the passenger control arm i had to make it a few turns longer to get it back in could this cause it to pop? or am i looking in the wrong place.

Patrick H 03-31-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpla51 (Post 3577552)
ok well thats solved that but the popping started after i re installed the upper part of the passenger control arm i had to make it a few turns longer to get it back in could this cause it to pop? or am i looking in the wrong place.

Are the bushings in good shape? Are your lower control arm bolts tight?

Patrick H 03-31-2013 09:37 PM

Popping while turning the wheels back and forth sounds like a track bar issue, potentially.

kpla51 03-31-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3577586)
Popping while turning the wheels back and forth sounds like a track bar issue, potentially.

what are some signs theres no play in it and the bushings are good the lift is only about 8 months old. would adjusting the control arm affect the track bar?

Patrick H 03-31-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

would adjusting the control arm affect the track bar?
No. If there's absolutely no play in the track bar, it should be OK.

Patrick H 03-31-2013 09:47 PM

How's your steering gearbox? I'm just wondering if your popping noise is just coincidental to your upper control arm bolt coming out.

kpla51 03-31-2013 09:51 PM

what other parts should i check? i had my buddy turn the wheel back and fourth but can't find the source of the pop but when i turn the wheel you can see the tire kind of pop at the same time as the sound when it turns hard to describe.

Gunner 03-31-2013 09:58 PM

You say you turned it 2 full turns longer in order to reinstall it? You might want to PM Blaine for some info. Something could be in a bind if you did not lengthen both the same amount. I am assuming it was aligned after the install.

kpla51 03-31-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 3577673)
You say you turned it 2 full turns longer in order to reinstall it? You might want to PM Blaine for some info. Something could be in a bind if you did not lengthen both the same amount. I am assuming it was aligned after the install.

it was aligned after install I'm guessing i could just turn it back but how would you get it to line up to put the bolt through is there a trick?

Patrick H 03-31-2013 10:25 PM

Have you measured the upper control arm lengths?

kpla51 03-31-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H
Have you measured the upper control arm lengths?

Yes the one I made longer is about 1/4 of an inch longer I just measured from bolt to bolt is there a specific place to measure?

Patrick H 03-31-2013 10:35 PM

Bolt to bolt is fine. 1/4" isn't huge considering how much give the Clevite bushings have. Do you have adjustable lowers? If so, are they the same length? Was the front axle measured for square under the Jeep?

kpla51 04-01-2013 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H
Bolt to bolt is fine. 1/4" isn't huge considering how much give the Clevite bushings have. Do you have adjustable lowers? If so, are they the same length? Was the front axle measured for square under the Jeep?

Ill have to check the lowers before the controll arm fell out it would only pop when turning the wheel fully to one side or the other but since it fell out and I put it back In it happens even when the wheel is turned half way

Patrick H 04-01-2013 06:51 AM

So, the problem actually did exist before the control arm bolt fell out...

kpla51 04-01-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick H (Post 3578480)
So, the problem actually did exist before the control arm bolt fell out...

it would only pop once in a great while but since the control arm issue its gotten worse and happens every time i turn the wheel slightly. for example theres a windy road to my place but the curves are not extreme but whenever the body leans it makes the pop feel too and then when stationary if i turn the wheel the pop happens.

kpla51 04-01-2013 08:10 AM

sorry this is hard to describe forgive me haha. could one of the joints cause a pop? they have only been greased once on install i believe jerry bransford said you don't need to grease them very often. could this be a possibility

Imped 04-01-2013 08:17 AM

If the grease doesn't flow through and out the joint between the bushing halves and center ball, then don't grease it. All you're doing is adding to the pressure the C clip has to retain.

Black Magic Brakes 04-01-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 3577673)

I do not measure ANY upper control arm lengths to install them. I use one side to set everything, release the tension on the bolts until you can spin them with your fingers and then float the remaining upper to the length it needs to get the last bolt in.

This is done with the rig at ride height and level side to side. That is the only way to ensure they are not in a bind and both arms are seeing identical loads.

Black Magic Brakes 04-01-2013 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kpla51 (Post 3578641)
it would only pop once in a great while but since the control arm issue its gotten worse and happens every time i turn the wheel slightly. for example theres a windy road to my place but the curves are not extreme but whenever the body leans it makes the pop feel too and then when stationary if i turn the wheel the pop happens.

If it is popping when you turn the wheels, have your buddy do the steering for you again and this time, touch each joint to see if you can feel the pop. TRE's on the steering, each end of the trackbar, each bolt on the uppers.

I suspect you will find a TRE that is popping up and down on the tapered pin or the lower trackbar bolt is loose and popping back and forth in the mount.

Patrick H 04-01-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 3578698)
I do not measure ANY upper control arm lengths to install them. I use one side to set everything, release the tension on the bolts until you can spin them with your fingers and then float the remaining upper to the length it needs to get the last bolt in.

This is done with the rig at ride height and level side to side. That is the only way to ensure they are not in a bind and both arms are seeing identical loads.

That's where I was headed when I asked the OP if the axle had been measured and adjusted to be square under the Jeep. Square the axle with the lowers, set pinion angle/ caster, then adjust the uppers to fit. I assume you mean to release the tension on the first upper control arm bolt by placing a jack under the diff.?

Iwanna 04-01-2013 08:54 AM

Check your sway bar disconnects. When I put on my upper and lower CAs I got a pop and found that is was my disconnects. Hope this helps

Imped 04-01-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iwanna (Post 3578786)
Check your sway bar disconnects. When I put on my upper and lower CAs I got a pop and found that is was my disconnects. Hope this helps

You mean the sway bar links?

kpla51 04-01-2013 11:02 AM

What about a new steering stabalizer? Mine is the stock one

kpla51 04-01-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes

If it is popping when you turn the wheels, have your buddy do the steering for you again and this time, touch each joint to see if you can feel the pop. TRE's on the steering, each end of the trackbar, each bolt on the uppers.

I suspect you will find a TRE that is popping up and down on the tapered pin or the lower trackbar bolt is loose and popping back and forth in the mount.

I will check this after work