Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Thoughts on Smittybilt products? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/thoughts-on-smittybilt-products-231876.html)

woansleftpeg 03-31-2013 09:56 PM

Thoughts on Smittybilt products?

Reading around these forums, I get the impression that views on Smittybilt products are not universally positive. My Jeep is a DD and a mall crawler, it's possible that at some point in the future I might get brave and point it at something that isn't covered in asphalt but if I'm honest, my mods are going to be primarily cosmetic. I like the look of the Smittybilt tubular bumpers and side steps, does anyone have any views on the company and in particular those products?

socal-jk 03-31-2013 10:09 PM

I just did SRC sliders install on mine. Search for the thread i made. I would link it but I can't seem to from the mobile app.

Jared66 03-31-2013 10:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I run smitty front and sliders. Fell asleep goin to work doin Abouy 60-70km/h and drove through a telephone pole with the bumper by shatters and almost fell on the jeep. Held up by the 1 remaining high voltage power line on the top, little bit of powder coat rubbed off the front. Didn't bend or nothin. Perfectly square still. And the sliders. I wheel pritty hard. And iv dropped/dragged my jeep on and over boulders bigger then my tires and they've not even a sent. Just less powder coat lol. So these two products I would say are awesome. Dunno how other stuff is.

woansleftpeg 03-31-2013 10:26 PM

Cool, thanks. Is that the SRC Side Armor you have? It looks awesome.

Socal, I guess the fit issues that you highlight are the common complaint about Smittybilt stuff. I'm not scared of a bit of customisation if need be.

NFRs2000NYC 03-31-2013 10:26 PM

I have the same rockrails as pictured above, and other than a minor fitment issue (20 seconds of grinding with the dremel) they have been excellent. The ones that hug the body seem to have strength issues.

socal-jk 03-31-2013 10:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Us with some tools and skill no big deal. They are built pretty well and solid aside from the initial fitment massaging.

Jared66 04-01-2013 02:34 AM

I had no firmer issue. Fit perfect.

somis 04-01-2013 04:00 AM

I would personally support another company. Shittybilt is low quality. Yeah, it may work for some people, but with my personal experience the stuff is junk. Also there is a reason they have a bad reputation. I would recommend you look elsewhere and stimulate the american economy

mcgee10 04-01-2013 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3577394)
Reading around these forums, I get the impression that views on Smittybilt products are not universally positive. My Jeep is a DD and a mall crawler, it's possible that at some point in the future I might get brave and point it at something that isn't covered in asphalt but if I'm honest, my mods are going to be primarily cosmetic. I like the look of the Smittybilt tubular bumpers and side steps, does anyone have any views on the company and in particular those products?

Just the fact that your asking about there quality should tell you alot.
For mall crawling that cheap Chinese shittybuilt will work just fine for real off roading forget it. For looks maybe BUT remember any real jeeper that see will know just what you have and know.:bottom:

americonium 04-01-2013 06:29 AM

I have had Smittybilt SRC classic front bumper for a year now. No fitment issues, no rust, solidly built, no complaints. I will be taking it off at the end of April to configure it for wincing, and that is where I'm going to find out if there are any problems. Oh, and as for what other "Jeepers" think of it, that isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

ramhunter9 04-01-2013 07:07 AM

Everything on my jeep is Smitty .. bumpers, sliders , fenders even doors ... not in the pic. It all went on fantastic no issues and the finish is awesome .. I recommend them

http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/a...psce2ff593.jpg

kappaknight 04-01-2013 07:47 AM

Get em, you won't regret it. I got mine for looks, but it is solid just like any other bumper and I would have no issues crawling with it. Some people like to shout 'Murica and the American economy but it's hard to tell if they've ever bought something from Smittybilt or if they're just screaming along with the hive mind. Besides, people who work for shipping companies and at the docks need jobs too.

I did have some fitment issues with mine, but it was fixed within 20 minutes - no big deal. Get what you want; it's your Jeep.

jeepers29 04-01-2013 07:57 AM

I don't know about their bumpers, ect but their seat covers are crap! They have faded within a year and the seams are all pulling apart.

dadrunamok 04-01-2013 07:59 AM

I have the same setup as Jared has up there (SRC front bumper and SRC side armor). I think they look great and they seem very, very solid. On my first wheeling trip, I hit the underside of the bumper really hard without any noticeable effects. Same as some of the other folks above, I had to get out my Dremel and work on one of the rock sliders to get it to fit over the frame bolts, but that wasn't a big deal.
I think they look good and I get lots of comments about them. Next spring I will probably get the SRC rear bumper/tire carrier.

socal-jk 04-01-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somis (Post 3578223)
I would personally support another company. Shittybilt is low quality. Yeah, it may work for some people, but with my personal experience the stuff is junk. Also there is a reason they have a bad reputation. I would recommend you look elsewhere and stimulate the american economy

So you own NOTHING that isn't made in america? I assume all your clothes, electronics, household wares are ALL made in the USA...... Right...........

For what I paid for these, how they are I tended to be used, they are perfect. They are going to get hit by trees and rocks. They are thick ass steel. Whats the difference? They will hold up the same. If I drop my jeep hard enough to bend these into the body I'm probably headed down the mountain on a trailer. If the price was close to something made in america, great. All day long. But some of us are on budgets.

woansleftpeg 04-01-2013 12:50 PM

Well, now I'm torn. On the one hand there are enough people decrying the quality of the Smittybilt stuff to give me cause for concern, on the other hand I haven't seen anything else that looks anything like as good as the SRC Side Armor. Can anyone recommend an alternative product that looks like it? I've looked at the Ace stuff and while it's nice enough, I really like the three dimensional design of the Smittybilt product.

NFRs2000NYC 04-01-2013 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3579519)
Well, now I'm torn. On the one hand there are enough people decrying the quality of the Smittybilt stuff to give me cause for concern, on the other hand I haven't seen anything else that looks anything like as good as the SRC Side Armor. Can anyone recommend an alternative product that looks like it? I've looked at the Ace stuff and while it's nice enough, I really like the three dimensional design of the Smittybilt product.

Like I said, the issues I have heard about have been those rails on the red JK above, the ones that hug the body. Let me put it to you this way, if you wheel and MIGHT smack a rock or a log like I do, the smittys that I have are fine. They look great, have a good finish, and are strong enough that they will take the occasional slam on a rock. Now, if you live near a place like Utah, California, or Colorado were you can enjoy canyon crawling ALL DAY and are going to slam rocks non stop, I would get something like the LOD, EVO, etc weld on rails. If you have a hardcore rock crawler rig, get the big boy rails. If you have a 99% daily driver with the occasional trail run that OCCASIONALLY will smack a rock, the smittys will serve you well. Just be honest with yourself, something that many Jeepers here refuse to do.

socal-jk 04-01-2013 01:06 PM

I searched and searched but picked the SRC's due to the design for protecting the bottom and up the side. Anything else similar is a lot more money, and I wasnt too worried as i knew i could work with them to get them to fit.

minivpr 04-01-2013 01:15 PM

my brother has tons of smittybuilt stuff on his JKU and no issues at all...fit and finish is great, did not have to drill, bend or modify anything, to get bumpers, winch, and others on...compared to a jeep jk-8 we built up at work, with warn bumpers, and winch, what a pain in the ass, lots of modding, drilling, to get that thing on, even the warn winch didnt fit right on the warn bumper, holes didnt align had to drill them out! i would say go for it!

socal-jk 04-01-2013 01:17 PM

The two door ones are fine. If you are going to wheel the shit out of it and have a fourdoor I would look elsewhere. Two door ones won't bend that I can find but the length and mounting of a fourdoor rail is the issue. It needs a gusset to the frame midway. That's what I found in my research atleast.

socal-jk 04-01-2013 01:19 PM

However of all you are after is looks and light trail work even the fourdoor ones are fine.

JGreer 04-01-2013 01:22 PM

I just got the SRC Side Armor. I had no fitment issues what-so-ever. They fit great and only took about 20 minutes to install. I live about 10 minutes from the 4wheelparts.com warehouse where they also have a shop. When I went in to purchase and pick-up the rails I asked about the fitment issues. He said it all depends on which factory they come from, either, China, Mexico, or... Canada I believe. Apparently one of the two has a bad mold for one of the mounting brackets. FWIW mine were from the factory in China. Again this is what he said so he could have been blowing smoke, but I don't know why he would because I asked him if I could return them if I had fitment issues. He said yes no problem so I didn't worry about it.

woansleftpeg 04-01-2013 01:34 PM

OK thanks. It's a JKU which may, possibly, one day do a little bit of light wheeling, but primarily for looks. You've convinced me; at the price, it really isn't the end of the world if the fit requires a little bit of persuasion.

I'll let you know how I get on!

fireguy 04-16-2013 11:40 PM

I installed a Smittybuilt XRC front bumper and a Warn zeon 10k on the jku. I had to cut a small amount of metal from the top of the the bumper mount flange and a 1/8" off the flange at the inside top bolt so the winch would clear and the bumper would clear where everything meets at the frame bumper flange. I also trimmed about 1/8" with a grinder off the inside of the bumper top at each side where the winch set too close. I touched up all the cuts and grind areas with satin black paint and the front bumper and winch look great. I am very happy with the whole look and process. It took me about 7 hours to remove the stock and install the front bumper and winch. I also used a Smitty XRC with a tire carrier on the rear bumper and it went without any install, fit and finish issues and took me 3 1/2 hours to do. Been out on the trail and all works great tried the winch the front is solid and no issues with the tire carrier or rear bumper. I would have liked to use better quality accessories like Warn, Rockhard and others ect. but I had a budget to hold to as well.

jrussblues 04-16-2013 11:47 PM

I like the american made stuff that they put on as factory options in the early 70's. The stuff now is outsourced so body parts dont always fit nicely but I ran an xrc8 winch for a while that performed quite well.

BB1857 04-17-2013 12:46 PM

I have the Smittybilt SRC rockrails/steps on my 2 door and they fit perfect. 15 minutes of install time with no mods required. I am all about supporting the American economy when feasible but i too am on a budget with my Jeep and these were a great deal...bought them on Amazon with next day shipping $3.99...cant beat that! if i ever get the "hey you have Smittybilt stuff on your Jeep and its junk and Chinese" i will simply ask that person if they push their Jeep everywhere because it is most certainly running on foreign gas and oil not to mention the hundreds of parts that are sourced by Chrysler from foreign lands to build said Jeep!!

rics1997 04-17-2013 01:33 PM

Seems like those that don't have them think they are poor quality. I have several of their products on my Jeep and all are great quality and had no fitment issues on my side rails. Very happy with mine. Smittybilt may get their products over seas but they are a US company. If you take apart a WARN winch, you will find a lot of their parts made in China and Mexico. Just assembled in US anymore.

2five22 04-17-2013 01:45 PM

They used to be good stuff in the CJ era. The last time I looked at their stuff I noticed sloppy welds and poor finish issues. Include the complaints here of fitment and I won't be using their hardware.

scottmacmoyle 05-20-2013 10:40 AM

Just installed the XRC front bumper with mid width extensions and a winch. Trimming required for the winch. The holes almost lined up. Took longer than I thought it would. Had to take it on and off a few times to get it lined up. Looks great. Just expected a little more for the money.

woansleftpeg 05-20-2013 10:47 AM

Forgot about this thread. I bought the Smittybilt SRC Side Armor; I did have to dremel one of the holes a little bit, but the price and look was well worth the five minutes of work required to make them fit.