Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Highway aerodynamics + added weight mods/towing (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/highway-aerodynamics-added-weight-mods-towing-232118.html)

goose39 04-01-2013 08:40 PM

Highway aerodynamics + added weight mods/towing

So I was on 87 today for probably about 3 hours and it was definitely a little windier than usual, but it was the first time I'd ever felt the jku get whipped so hard from the side... It was so bad a few times a had to catch the steering wheel. I was having the best dream, too... Obviously the jku is not designed for speed and I knew what to expect so im not complaining or anything, but I was wondering how it performs when towing an enclosed trailer or something in similar conditions. Ill be doing the same route with a uhaul in June, so any tips or advice are appreciated.

On a side note, has anyone noticed a difference with a lot of added weight like tires and bumpers? It's probably not enough of a weight difference and I guess the part of the body that gets swept by the wind is above the frame itself, but I was curious because I could see it going either way.

john john 04-01-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goose39 (Post 3581692)
So I was on 87 today for probably about 3 hours and it was definitely a little windier than usual, but it was the first time I'd ever felt the jku get whipped so hard from the side... It was so bad a few times a had to catch the steering wheel. I was having the best dream, too... Obviously the jku is not designed for speed and I knew what to expect so im not complaining or anything, but I was wondering how it performs when towing an enclosed trailer or something in similar conditions. Ill be doing the same route with a uhaul in June, so any tips or advice are appreciated.

On a side note, has anyone noticed a difference with a lot of added weight like tires and bumpers? It's probably not enough of a weight difference and I guess the part of the body that gets swept by the wind is above the frame itself, but I was curious because I could see it going either way.

I just moved to Amarillo tx. And the wind is horrible all the time. The first thing you may want to add to the jeep is hood latches. I went with the day star and have had zero movement from the hood at all. Hope this helps with something . Lol

goose39 04-02-2013 07:51 AM

good call; thanks!

Wingsnut72 04-02-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goose39 (Post 3583523)
good call; thanks!

I live in Nebraska where the wind blow at 20-30 mph all the time, it seems. I lowered my tire pressure to 32 from 37 and it seems it has helped with the wind. I have 285/70/17 tires though. The steering is less quick now, more predictable.

ltsrapcon 04-02-2013 08:09 AM

I have a 2012 JKU and we pulled the big uhaul trailer FULLY loaded across the country with no problems as long as we kept it under 65.

goose39 04-02-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wingsnut72 (Post 3583545)
I lowered my tire pressure to 32 from 37 and it seems it has helped with the wind. I have 285/70/17 tires though.

by june i should have 285/315 on there, so ill be sure to do that, thanks!

itsrapcon, what kind of hitch you got?

goose39 04-02-2013 08:10 AM

double post.