Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   installing lights on stock bumper (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/installing-lights-on-stock-bumper-23243.html)

XNeoJesterX 11-18-2008 05:56 AM

installing lights on stock bumper

i want to put hella or similar lights on my stock front bumper. I was wondering do I use existing holes on the bumper to mount them? Also I was wondering the best way to run the wires so I can put the swith on the switch panel above the dc outlets. Is there any factory stuff, at least wiring or switches I can use or get from a 'stealership'? Any pictures would be appreciated. What are good lights for a reasonable price? I've heard of KC daylighters and Hella.

richp 11-18-2008 07:46 AM

The holes should be the correct size. The hella kit will come with a relay, wire and switch. When I added my Hella 500's I just drilled a hole in one of the empty switch blanks and mounted it there. Once I ran the wires I used some split wire loom to encase the wires. I did built a small L shaped bracket out of some sheet metal from a pc case, the metal thats used to cover the full drive bays on a tower case, that is mounted next to the PDC on the passenger fender to mount the relay.

Atthehop 11-18-2008 08:01 AM

I installed the Hella Black Magic kit with a wireless remote to turn them on and off. Plus I wired then to come on as I need and not go off with the high beams as required in NJ. It's simple to make them legal to get through state inspection.

TJDave 11-18-2008 09:10 AM

Not sure about Hella's, but for my KC's I had to bore out the holes on the bumper to fit the lights on. I mounted the switch on the flat panel that sits next to the rear wiper/defrost/OD switches. I think that is where an ashtray would go If I had one.

XNeoJesterX 11-18-2008 09:15 AM

ohio luckily doesn't have state vehical inspections. Can you link me the wireless remote and do you have it on the switch panel? If I run wires for a switch were is the best place to get thru the fire wall? Thanks for the input so far guys.

Atthehop 11-18-2008 10:30 AM

I don't remember where I got mine 4 years ago but these look very close to what I have. Switches - Pilot 4 Channel Wireless Remote

They work great.

XNeoJesterX 11-18-2008 11:20 AM

eh I don't think I'll go the wireless route, even tho that remote setup is pretty sweet. I'm just gonna use a switch on that panel above the dc outlets. I still need to figure out how I'm gonna run the wires and what lights I'm gonna get. You run the positive from the battery to the switch with an in-line fuse. Then from the switch to the lights and the negative from the battery to the lights right?

Atthehop 11-18-2008 12:12 PM

All the kits I have seen have very detailed wiring diagrams. Make sure you use a relay to turn them on and off. With a relay you run power from the battery to the relay and from the relay to the lamps then ground. Now you wire the switch to the relay. This way when you turn them on you do not send all that juice through the switch which unless it can handle it will burn out.

XNeoJesterX 11-18-2008 01:50 PM

Thanks I forgot about the relay. It's been about since I wired lighting, but its coming back to me. :D

Any recommended brands/models that are high quality BRIGHT lights that are reasonably priced cause I am trying to keep the cost to a minimum?

distortedtj 11-18-2008 02:26 PM

Whats your budget?

Also you do not have to run the negative light wire to the battery. It can be grounded anywhere to the frame or body. No need to run more wire than needed.

jp'rs_peep'rs 11-18-2008 11:09 PM

Actually,
the most recent lites I just put on (about 2-3wks. ago) came with 30amp sw.
Even tho this was the case I still chose to have relays.

C.