Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Steering Box (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/steering-box-23256.html)

debruins 11-18-2008 01:55 PM

Steering Box

If you don't know I have 35's and 6 in of lift

my steering has been a tad loose since I bought my Jeep just a tad bit of wiggle room

today i got in it and drove it one mile home and it made the worst high pitched grinding sound every-time i turned the wheel, i got home and immediately checked the power steering fluid, there was NONE. I then looked underneath to see where it had all gone. It seems like it was dripping off of the bottom of the steering gear box. I've never really paid attention but i noticed that on the back/bottom there was a rod with gears/teeth sticking out about 3/4 of an inch then a bolt. I just wanna make sure that is supposed to be like that and its not that that bolt backed off and the gearing slipped out or something.

if anyone has any idea what it could be besides replacing the whole steering box that'd be great! thanks

debruins 11-18-2008 05:25 PM

so i filled it back up and its still making a small squeal, my dad thinks that form the cold last night that it just kinda let go and i need a new one?

any ideas? or should i go ahead and get a 98 durango one from a 318 and put it in?

jtalar 11-18-2008 08:45 PM

Sounds to me like your steering box went bunk...... crapped out

4point 11-18-2008 09:21 PM

You could do the Durango steering box upgrade now.

debruins 11-19-2008 06:20 AM

yeah ok thats what i kinda figured just wanted to make sure i wasnt replacing it for a smaller problem that could be fixed without replacing it

kdukes4 11-20-2008 03:54 PM

Durango upgrade?

whitebuffalo 11-20-2008 04:10 PM

are you sure its not just the pump that went south? when mine died it puked fluid all over the place, including the box. and howled like a banshee

4point 11-20-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitebuffalo (Post 284964)
are you sure its not just the pump that went south? when mine died it puked fluid all over the place, including the box. and howled like a banshee

Quote:

Originally Posted by debruins (Post 283947)
I've never really paid attention but i noticed that on the back/bottom there was a rod with gears/teeth sticking out about 3/4 of an inch then a bolt.

This is the part that would really concern me. :D

whitebuffalo 11-20-2008 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4point (Post 284972)
This is the part that would really concern me. :D

hmmmmm...yes....that couldbe a problem. ;)

slap some jb weld on it and it should be good :flipoff:

(my fault for not reading thoroughly......) :bottom:

activelydying 11-20-2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by debruins (Post 283947)
If you don't know I have 35's and 6 in of lift

my steering has been a tad loose since I bought my Jeep just a tad bit of wiggle room

today i got in it and drove it one mile home and it made the worst high pitched grinding sound every-time i turned the wheel, i got home and immediately checked the power steering fluid, there was NONE. I then looked underneath to see where it had all gone. It seems like it was dripping off of the bottom of the steering gear box. I've never really paid attention but i noticed that on the back/bottom there was a rod with gears/teeth sticking out about 3/4 of an inch then a bolt. I just wanna make sure that is supposed to be like that and its not that that bolt backed off and the gearing slipped out or something.

if anyone has any idea what it could be besides replacing the whole steering box that'd be great! thanks

My box was leaking like crazy. I had to refill it constandly. Went to the junkyard and got a Durango box. It handles so much better now. Well worth the upgrade. :)

CaptZZ 12-10-2008 07:09 PM

Glad I found this thread.....

Man I've been hunting back threads on this very subject!! This my second winter in my 04 Wrangler X and every time it gets cold out the steering sounds like kaka, with some serious rubbing going on. Anyway I found same excact thing as DeBruin(?)...
I have to replace steering fluid and it the stuff that leaked is all over the bottom end. Wonder if that seal in box doesn't hold up well in the cold? Anyway what is the "Durango" upgrade and more importantly as a po boy how much$

debruins 12-10-2008 07:48 PM

i actually haven't done anything to it and i've found it only leaks when it gets cold after a warm day so its changing temperatures that does it so i just keep some fluid with me and i've been dealing with it

Unlimited 12-11-2008 09:10 AM

Here is a write-up on the Durango steering conversion:

Durango Steering Box Conversion