Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Your Advice: safari top or trail cover? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/your-advice-safari-top-or-trail-cover-232731.html)

pennjeeptj05 04-04-2013 09:15 AM

Your Advice: safari top or trail cover?

Looking for your best advice:

I have a set amount to spend and am wondering what you would recommend based on your experience. Safari top, trail cover... bikini?

In particular...

- daily ride w/soft top
- tend to ride top down more often than not
- hate scrambling to put top/windows up when it rains
- occasionally have 2 y/o child in the back
- longer commutes -- top up / no windows / highway speed flapping?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

--

Duckquackers 04-04-2013 10:23 AM

I ordered the Safari Bikini for my JKU on Monday from Amazon had it delivered yesterday(thank you prime) set up last night and loving it today.

Wattapunk 04-04-2013 10:31 AM

I think the safari top will suit your needs the best. Protect you and little one from the sun, keep most of the Jeep dry during rain, and still have the open feeling of driving topless. Bikini top is not functional for rear passengers and a trail top is a PITA to have to lug around worrying about the weather. I ditched my trailcover and carpet since Monstalining the interior and run a safari/Cres setup.

pennjeeptj05 04-04-2013 10:37 AM

Thanks for the quick responses... dumb question, but what holds up better to highway speeds soft top w/out windows or safari top?

Thanks...

lee indy 04-04-2013 10:42 AM

softtopper.com best of all worlds

Submariner 04-04-2013 10:43 AM

Can somebody put up a picture? I am in the same boat, Got a hard top and will be looking to pull it soon, stick on some tube doors and some kind of top to keep the sun off.

I saw one of those "hammocks" that you can put up to keep the sun off but at the same time being able to climb up topside and soak up some sun when out in the bush.

homebrwd 04-04-2013 10:47 AM

Why not checkout the Trektop NX? Replaces your whole setup, softop, safari top and sunrider all in one. Sell what you currently have to offset the costs.

lee indy 04-04-2013 10:55 AM

softopper is the same. but american made. i have the NX but softtopper doesnt make one for a jk

Wattapunk 04-04-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pennjeeptj05 (Post 3593580)
Thanks for the quick responses... dumb question, but what holds up better to highway speeds soft top w/out windows or safari top?

Thanks...

There are some minor flapping of the safari but not bad. Just keep it strapped well in the 2 rear rollbar straps. I would think the 2 rear pillars of a soft top would be an issue parachuting out. You can find safari tops w/the windshield header bar on CL fairly cheap.( mine was $60). I wouldn't buy another all-in-one softtop if yours is still in good shape. Although the Rampage Soft top would be one I would consider.

homebrwd 04-04-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lee indy (Post 3593656)
softopper is the same. but american made. i have the NX but softtopper doesnt make one for a jk

I got my TrekTop for the same as their cheaper option (TJ02) except the TrekTop comes with new door surrounds, new tailgate bar and retainers so I can sell off my old stuff and recoup some costs.

Its nice that the Softtopper is USA made and that it has window storage but it sounds like it wont fit as tightly risking flapping at higher speeds, and the side windows are much smaller than they Bestop's.

Shoe 04-04-2013 11:18 AM

I have a Safari top on all summer and leave the soft top and windows in the garage. I have a trail cover that stays in the jeep for the sudden thunderstorms we have fairly often in the summer, and I use it most nights to keep the dew off of the seats and the cats out.

Jerry Bransford 04-04-2013 11:27 AM

Of the bikini & safari-style tops that have been on my TJs over the years, my vote goes to the longer Safari style that also covers the back set/gear area.

umake 04-04-2013 11:55 AM

I really love my Bestop Bikini top but my backseat is gone now and replaced with a mountaineer rack. I live in FL so the top is off almost always, but I bought a Rain Gear Trail Top as a back up for the o-so-famous afternoon Florida showers. I say get both a bikini/safari top and a Rain Gear cover :)

Pic of old school bikini top (not strapless). Flaps a bit a moderate speeds (60+mph), but keeps the seats cool in the 100+ degree sun. I find it fits a lot better with the door surrounds then velcroed to the roll-bars.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6e44f13d.jpg