Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Is the John Bull really hard? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/is-the-john-bull-really-hard-232818.html)

Gunner 04-04-2013 03:36 PM

Is the John Bull really hard?

I am running the John Bull tuesday morning. Everyone has said it is a tough trail. I have been watching videos of it and it just doesn't seem to be that tough. Last night I saw full size H1 and H2's going thru it. Is it something like hard and easy lines like you have on dishpan? Or am I going to be surprised when I get there.

Cons_Table 04-04-2013 03:40 PM

Ehh...I did it on 35s, open/open my first time. There is only one section that I find to be the hardest. Its towards the top of the trail, but you shouldnt have any problem. Are you going with anyone? I am guessing you saw this, but if not...here you go. A little footage from my last trip out there.

Wranglerforum: John Bull-Big Bear, CA - YouTube

Cons_Table 04-04-2013 03:49 PM

Personally, I would say around 1:13 in the video above is the hardest section to me. Others may have different opinions.

Gunner 04-04-2013 03:51 PM

I did see this one. Nice music. I've been looking at music zI like and then looking up the labels. Most are warner. It does look like spotted it won't be a big deal.
Thanks Geoff

I H8RDS 04-04-2013 03:53 PM

Bob- I've done it..and you know my set up; 33's and at the time locked in the rear, 3" lift, 4.56 gearing in a 4 banger. Was a little rough on Joanize with the gearing but got her done.

Cons_Table 04-04-2013 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 3594774)
I did see this one. Nice music. I've been looking at music zI like and then looking up the labels. Most are warner. It does look like spotted it won't be a big deal.
Thanks Geoff

Ya the music can be a pain lol. Something I have found, is that some bands/artists that arent very popular arent owned by the bigger labels.

As far as john bull, your rig will have no problem being locked on 35s with plenty of armor :thumb:

I H8RDS 04-04-2013 04:00 PM

I agree..walk in the park for you. There's really only a couple spots that get your attention..

DaK 04-04-2013 04:05 PM

It can be intimidating as you approach the gate keeper but once you are in it, not that bad. You do have to watch your lines on the section or you will land on your side, we had a yj tump over. Its the 3rd waterfall going from east to west.

That was a good time that day. That red two door is just plain sexy... except for the part where it almost rolled. Happen to know that was driver error. Dude wasn't listening to the spotter.

Gunner 04-04-2013 04:05 PM

Thanks lorie. And Joanzie fights way way out of her weight class.:dance:

Gunner 04-04-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaK (Post 3594819)
It can be intimidating as you approach the gate keeper but once you are in it, not that bad. You do have to watch your lines on the section or you will land on your side, we had a yj tump over. Its the 3rd waterfall going from east to west.

That was a good time that day. That red two door is just plain sexy... except for the part where it almost rolled. Happen to know that was driver error. Dude wasn't listening to the spotter.

I like red two doors also.:D

I H8RDS 04-04-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 3594820)
Thanks lorie. And Joanzie fights way way out of her weight class.:dance:

:rofl: :thumb:

JPi4.0 04-05-2013 07:41 PM

It's not too hard of a trail. Mostly just driving over boulders. The gate keeper can be tough if you never done it but not to hard to back up and pick a different line until you get through. The section shown at about 1:30 in the vid is the toughest part. There are three lines through that section. Use a spotter that's done it before and you get through pretty quick. If no one in your group has done it before just follow the black marks on the rocks. Use a spotter to see where you're getting hung up. No worries you'll do fine.

Gunner 04-05-2013 09:44 PM

Thanks guys. I was told we might come in by white mountain, then john bull, and finish with dishpan. Should make for a full day.

Moabrubi 04-05-2013 10:43 PM

John Bulls wasn't really difficult when I did it. I walked up the gatekeeper locked on 32's but I took the easy way. White mountains lots of fun too, There's some really fun hill climbs that are optional.

Not a very good video but I'm bored so why not post it up.

John Bull Gatekeeper - YouTube

WOKNROX 04-08-2013 01:52 PM

If u have any reservations twards JB its always a good time running it west to east....still a good challenge but u'll have gravity on ur side going down the part before the gatekeeper ..
just a thought..

Gunner 04-08-2013 02:12 PM

I am actually hoping it is tough. I had to give up Drag racing my motorcycle due to balance issues. So i'm trying to push myself to learn how to do tougher trails. We are doing the Dusy this year and I hear it is pretty good.

suicideking 04-08-2013 02:22 PM

It's challenging and a hard trail, but as long as you're well equipped, you should be fine.

Most of the problems I've heard about are from people that try it that don't have the right mods. The most important things for JB are lockers and armor. Aftermarket tie rod also recommended.

I've only done it once. The only guys that had trouble were open/open and/or didn't have proper armor. One guy in a JK had the plastic steps, no rails. He took some body damage and had to be tugged a few times. He made it though.

I was really nervous after hearing people talk about it. I actually found that it wasn't anywhere as tough as people make it sound. I got through on my first time pretty easily. I had great spotting though. I've been wanting to do it again ever since. VERY fun trail!

Here's some video I took of that day. The guy that had trouble is the light blue JK 4 door with the 3rd row seat. Some others had trouble, but mostly because they weren't lifted or didn't have lockers, etc. We got a stock JK Rubi through with little trouble.

John Bull 9-29-12 - YouTube

WOKNROX 04-08-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 3609929)
I am actually hoping it is tough. I had to give up Drag racing my motorcycle due to balance issues. So i'm trying to push myself to learn how to do tougher trails. We are doing the Dusy this year and I hear it is pretty good.

Right on...good to hear ur wanting to do some tougher runs...I was only suggesting because u had made mention of it being a church crew run....thought maybe some of the other guys might be hesitant to run JB...

The Dusy huh....I'm not sure how much of it u'll be rinnin but it can be a taxing trail and u'll need a good jeep for it....but its a lot of fun!

Gunner 04-08-2013 03:38 PM

We are planning on 2 or 3 days to do the whole trail. Then next year is the Rubicon. As far as John Bull yeah we are excited. Most of the Church guys have run it 3 or 4 times, Dave and I are the newbies of the group. Dennis who is the unofficial leader has been wheeling for 30 years. The rest about 20, so we are real rank beginners but we like the deep end of the pool.
Nice video Rick.

WOKNROX 04-08-2013 05:21 PM

Sounds like u've got a good crew their....u guys will have lots of fun....JB is a good trail.

Gunner 04-08-2013 10:45 PM

Yeah it's all rubicon's on 35's. I hope I can sleep tonight.

Idriveoverstuff 04-09-2013 05:51 AM

Trust your spotter through the gate keeper as you will be fine. We went through with a couple rigs and one had open diffs. Lockers def help. Check your rockers the night before make sure they are locked in. My passenger came loose after this one. But it's a blast

2013jeepjk 04-09-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 3612176)
Yeah it's all rubicon's on 35's. I hope I can sleep tonight.

Bob your rig is a very capable one and the videos don't look so bad so stop questioning yourself n do it !!! lol .. have fun today n be safe !!!!!!!

Gunner 04-10-2013 01:27 AM

Well the answer is,,, It could be if you had a bad spotter or were inexperienced. I had a good spotter and walked right thru it. I'll post up a video. We got home late. Ran Gold then JB and finished with Holcomb Creek. Just had a ball. No straps or winches for anyone. Stacked a few rocks for one of the JKU's in a hard spot and the rest was just fun fun fun.

WOKNROX 04-10-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 3617836)
Well the answer is,,, It could be if you had a bad spotter or were inexperienced. I had a good spotter and walked right thru it. I'll post up a video. We got home late. Ran Gold then JB and finished with Holcomb Creek. Just had a ball. No straps or winches for anyone. Stacked a few rocks for one of the JKU's in a hard spot and the rest was just fun fun fun.

See u got urself all worked up over Nothin....lol
And to think most people say that JB is the hardest trail on the mountain ....well publicly known trail ...he he!

Glad u had a good time....its a fun trail..

2013jeepjk 04-10-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 3617836)

Think I could make it in my rig bob ?? Open/open ?

suicideking 04-10-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2013jeepjk (Post 3619003)
Think I could make it in my rig bob ?? Open/open ?

Personally, I think armor is more important as long as you don't mind a tug or two. Plus, make sure you're going with a patient group. You'll make it through, but it won't be easy without a locker.

It'd highly recommend full skids including CA's, diff covers, aftermarket tie rod.

Glad you enjoyed it Bob. I can't wait to do that trail again soon.

Gunner 04-10-2013 09:21 PM

Dave bent his driveshaft a bit. But Todd I would say with armor and a good spotter you could make it with a tug or ten. It was all about tire placement and which line you chose. We didn't pick any real hard lines so you can get an idea of it from then videos I posted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2imF3E7QEM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VthZJtPvd70

yeeper5150 04-10-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunner (Post 3621504)
Dave bent his driveshaft a bit. But Todd I would say with armor and a good spotter you could make it with a tug or ten. It was all about tire placement and which line you chose. We didn't pick any real hard lines so you can get an idea of it from then videos I posted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2imF3E7QEM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VthZJtPvd70

Stan's got wood for bent driveshafts

Gunner 04-10-2013 09:55 PM

Dave is upgrading