Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   another newb with questions- shocks and more (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/another-newb-with-questions-shocks-and-more-23282.html)

Natusch 11-19-2008 12:15 PM

another newb with questions- shocks and more

hello everybody,
I'm new to the forum here, as well as owning a Jeep, and I have a few questions. I've got an '05 TJ X and I took it offroad a few weeks ago for the first time. No problems directly afterward, no unusual noises, etc. for about a week or so, until I washed it- and now I've got a bit of a squeak when I stop or accelerate quickly (anytime I get some flex in the suspension really). I imagine it's my shocks needing some lube, at least thats what it feels like to me. When I washed it i did spray underneath in the wheel wells/at the suspension, etc. but only with a garden hose- no power washer or anything... Would that make sense? If so do I just grease em up again or what? Grease fittings? I haven't had a chance to look.

I was also looking at replacing the stock shox anyway, since I will be taking it offroad again...someone mentioned that I may be able to put someone's used rubicon stock shocks on and it'd work out well...ie if they were putting a lift on and couldn't use their old ones anymore...

I'm not too interested in a lift, or in spending more than 150ish on a set of shocks...I've got other places for $$ to go, as I'm sure all of you do as well...
any advice?

MoA 11-19-2008 02:58 PM

im not sure.. i know the rubi coils have different spring rates but i would imagine the rubi shocks are the same?

go with either ome or re monotubes.. yah they are a bit more than you wanted to spend.. but this will make your jeep ride soo SMOOTH

Natusch 11-21-2008 08:48 AM

i think i'll go with OME, i like the design a little better...with the full metal sheath instead of the plastic/rubber boot. I cant seem to find any for a 0" lift... will the '2" lift' version work for me with my stock springs, etc?

what about pro-comp? lol i'm still internally fighting $300+ for shocks... but then again i suppose it's one of the more important components when offroading... do it right the first time, and you won't hafta do it twice...

jeeperman 11-21-2008 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natusch (Post 284380)
hello everybody,
I'm new to the forum here, as well as owning a Jeep, and I have a few questions. I've got an '05 TJ X and I took it offroad a few weeks ago for the first time. No problems directly afterward, no unusual noises, etc. for about a week or so, until I washed it- and now I've got a bit of a squeak when I stop or accelerate quickly (anytime I get some flex in the suspension really). I imagine it's my shocks needing some lube, at least thats what it feels like to me. When I washed it i did spray underneath in the wheel wells/at the suspension, etc. but only with a garden hose- no power washer or anything... Would that make sense? If so do I just grease em up again or what? Grease fittings? I haven't had a chance to look.

I was also looking at replacing the stock shox anyway, since I will be taking it offroad again...someone mentioned that I may be able to put someone's used rubicon stock shocks on and it'd work out well...ie if they were putting a lift on and couldn't use their old ones anymore...

I'm not too interested in a lift, or in spending more than 150ish on a set of shocks...I've got other places for $$ to go, as I'm sure all of you do as well...
any advice?

It sounds to me like the bushings in your control arms are squeaking. The just need a little spray lube every once in a while (especially after getting dirt/mud in them) and they will stay quiet.

Natusch 11-21-2008 01:38 PM

thanks man, i'll give it a shot this weekend....it'll certainly allow me to put off new shocks until it gets warm again