Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f123/)
-   -   Poison Spyder RockBrawler II Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f123/poison-spyder-rockbrawler-ii-rear-bumper-with-tire-carrier-232981.html)

DTS 04-05-2013 11:35 AM

Poison Spyder RockBrawler II Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier
 
http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...-04_8674-L.jpg

The RockBrawler II Rear Bumper is the latest evolution in JK rear bumpers, incorporating many features requested by customers, and product improvements born of real world use and testing of the original RockBrawler. This bumper combines the best features to maximize performance on the toughest trails with some of the more refined traits not normally needed on a dedicated rock crawler. Its most prominent feature is the all new RockBrawler II Tire Carrier, which connects to the tailgate for easy, single-action opening. It's also slightly wider and deeper than the original RockBrawler for increased corner protection, and features an integrated hitch.

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products..._A-1800w-L.jpg

The RockBrawler II Spare Tire Carrier's Single-Action-Opening feature is a huge convenience for when you're trying to open the tailgate and tire carrier with one hand, when you've got an armload of gear or groceries in the other. Rather than latching to itself, the RockBrawler II tire carrier is tethered to the tailgate so that they open and close in tandem. A custom designed tie-rod assembly, bumper mechanism and Tramp Stamp keep the two pieces perfectly aligned when open, but tight and rattle-free when closed.

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...0405_489-L.jpg

The RockBrawler II Spare Tire Carrier is fabricated entirely from CNC laser cut, precision brake-formed plate steel. The pieces are expertly welded together in a specially designed assembly fixture to ensure consistent fit and quality. A web gusset design is cut into the corner of the tire carrier to provide a little Poison Spyder flare. The RockBrawler II Tire Carrier uses the same high quality, extremely heavy duty hinge/spindle assembly that is used on the original RockBrawler Tire Carrier, featuring a CNC precision machined spindle, Timken tapered roller bearings, and CNC machined billet cap.

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...0405_500-L.jpg

Like the original RockBrawler Rear Bumper, the RockBrawler II bumper shell is fabricated from CNC laser cut, brake-formed 3/16" plate steel. The RockBrawler II Rear Bumper's high clearance, multi-faceted design provides the best possible departure angles and corner obstacle clearance. The RockBrawler II Rear Bumper is slightly wider and deeper (front to back), when compared to the original RockBrawler Rear Bumper.

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...0405_497-L.jpg

The integrated hitch receiver accepts standard 2" hitches and recovery accessories. It is built in to the structure of the RockBrawler™ II Rear Bumper in order to provide a higher clearance, tougher hitch that's there when you need it, but tucked up higher out of the way for better clearance and departure angles on the trail. Includes integrated safety chain loops. IMPORTANT: The integrated hitch receiver is not rated for towing. It is intended as a recovery attachment point.

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...0405_506-L.jpg

Like the original RockBrawler Rear Bumper, the RockBrawler II features recessed backup lamp buckets made to accept a pair of 2-1/2" round LED lamps. The RockBrawler II also features an improved mounting system, with an adjustable flange on one side to accommodate the slight manufacturing variances in Jeep frames that we've seen over the years, which could sometimes make mounting the original RockBrawler bumper a little tricky. Another feature of the RockBrawler II is that it does not require the relocation of the license plate, as is the case with the original RockBrawler. But we do provide the bracket for mounting the license plate on the spare tire carrier, if the installer chooses to do so. And one more difference from the original RockBrawler is that the 1" thick CNC machined high clearance recovery shackle tabs are now standard equipment on the RockBrawler II.

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...0405_496-L.jpg

The RockBrawler II Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier sells for $1479 "Spyder Direct" on our website, or may be purchased through any of our authorized Poison Spyder Dealers.

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...0403_464-L.jpg

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...0405_492-L.jpg

Product Spotlight video for the RockBrawler II Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su1HYZRflkY

Riccochet 04-05-2013 11:45 AM

Why does this look out of alignment? Does the carrier sag when opened and require force/upward lifting when closing the gate?

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...0403_464-L.jpg

Krummy 04-05-2013 01:00 PM

If you watch the video as you close it that triangle raises up and seats in the bracket. Itt says it controls rattling and make it sit solid when closed which looks good. Looks sweet but pricey I could get a new front and rear for less than just the rear. Really is there a big difference between this and say the Bestop Highrock which has a similar look for around $800?

DTS 04-05-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riccochet (Post 3598115)
Why does this look out of alignment? Does the carrier sag when opened and require force/upward lifting when closing the gate?

Its the angle. In that pic the triangle is closer to you than the delrin piece is fits into when its closed.

DTS 04-05-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krummy (Post 3598403)
If you watch the video as you close it that triangle raises up and seats in the bracket. Itt says it controls rattling and make it sit solid when closed which looks good. Looks sweet but pricey I could get a new front and rear for less than just the rear. Really is there a big difference between this and say the Bestop Highrock which has a similar look for around $800?

I'm not familiar with Bestop's product so I can't speak about it specifically. But I can say in more general terms, there are always cheaper products on the market than ours. We don't try to compete on price because there's always someone who can build something cheaper than us, either by building it overseas with slave labor or using cheaper components or methods, or less features, etc. We just design and build the best product we can, and price it where it needs to be in order to cover our costs and make an ROI. For some folks that prices us out of their market, and that's OK with us. There will always be a need in the market for cheaper goods, and we're happy to cede that segment to other manufacturers. But we're grateful that there's also a market for high quality, American made goods, and thankfully those folks keep us growing.

Riccochet 04-05-2013 08:01 PM

$1500 is a bit pricey. Does it come painted/powder coated?

connorcrush 04-05-2013 08:32 PM

There's a thread about this in the JK section, people were asking about the tow rating and I was hoping you would chime in.. Bumper looks great though:thumb:

Krummy 04-05-2013 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTS (Post 3598620)

I'm not familiar with Bestop's product so I can't speak about it specifically. But I can say in more general terms, there are always cheaper products on the market than ours. We don't try to compete on price because there's always someone who can build something cheaper than us, either by building it overseas with slave labor or using cheaper components or methods, or less features, etc. We just design and build the best product we can, and price it where it needs to be in order to cover our costs and make an ROI. For some folks that prices us out of their market, and that's OK with us. There will always be a need in the market for cheaper goods, and we're happy to cede that segment to other manufacturers. But we're grateful that there's also a market for high quality, American made goods, and thankfully those folks keep us growing.

I here you and I do pay for quality so I wouldn't say I am not your target market. But I would expect premium quality and features if i pay a premium price so if the hitch is not tow rated that would be a problem for me. Maybe that's not the case.

tlminh 04-05-2013 11:47 PM

Hey dusty, what happened to the product video that was posted on the website? It was up for a few hours then it was taken down

For some reason, it looks like the bumper in the video was little bit wider/larger coverage than the pictures posted here.

The new bumper says there's a wee bit more coverage, based on these pics, it's hard to differentiate between the two

DTS 04-08-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlminh (Post 3600666)
Hey dusty, what happened to the product video that was posted on the website? It was up for a few hours then it was taken down

For some reason, it looks like the bumper in the video was little bit wider/larger coverage than the pictures posted here.

The new bumper says there's a wee bit more coverage, based on these pics, it's hard to differentiate between the two

I took that video down after I realized there were a few features of the bumper that were different on the prototype unit used in that video (shot several months ago) versus the final production units that are now available. We'll have an updated video up for it soon. But yes, one of the changes was that this bumper is not quite as wide as the prototype was, and does not reach forward all the way to the wheel opening on the sides the way the prototype did.

DTS 04-08-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riccochet (Post 3599731)
$1500 is a bit pricey. Does it come painted/powder coated?

No, at this time it only comes in bare steel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by connorcrush (Post 3599826)
There's a thread about this in the JK section, people were asking about the tow rating and I was hoping you would chime in.. Bumper looks great though:thumb:

I haven't seen that thread, I'll go look for it. But to answer your question we have not done the independent lab testing and regulatory red tape that is required to get an official tow rating on it. For the same reason, you'll rarely see tow ratings on rear bumpers made by small and medium manufacturers like us. When you make a couple dozen at a time its harder to spread the costs out than if you're making hundreds of them at a time. But we hope to be big enough to be able to justify those costs soon. Until then we just have to build it as strong as we can but not officially claim it as a "tow" hitch.

DTS 04-08-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krummy (Post 3600163)
I here you and I do pay for quality so I wouldn't say I am not your target market. But I would expect premium quality and features if i pay a premium price so if the hitch is not tow rated that would be a problem for me. Maybe that's not the case.

Well hopefully some day when we are at the point that we can do a tow rating on it, we can gain you as a customer. And honestly that's the best incentive for getting those done, as we know it is important for some folks. But if you're not able to wait until then and need to choose some other product that has the features you need and is available already, of course we can't blame you for that.

Krummy 04-09-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTS (Post 3609096)

Well hopefully some day when we are at the point that we can do a tow rating on it, we can gain you as a customer. And honestly that's the best incentive for getting those done, as we know it is important for some folks. But if you're not able to wait until then and need to choose some other product that has the features you need and is available already, of course we can't blame you for that.

Your products look great I am not knocking the company btw just making observations as they apply to me. I love the rear bumper just not in the budget today and I do have to tow a boat occasionally so the rating is a necessity. Any plans for a full width bumper in the near future?

DTS 04-10-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krummy (Post 3613015)
Your products look great I am not knocking the company btw just making observations as they apply to me. I love the rear bumper just not in the budget today and I do have to tow a boat occasionally so the rating is a necessity. Any plans for a full width bumper in the near future?

We do have plans to start working on some full width stuff, both front and rear. Our roots are more from the hard core rock crawling side, so the "expedition" type stuff is a segment we've been looking in to for future growth. That said, I have no definite time frame that I can quote for that.

LHC30 04-10-2013 03:30 PM

Dusty, I am an admirer of PS products since seeing them at JPI's shop and on Stan's JK. The "tow rating" is of interest to me and was wondering if you can provide an answer just off that topic.

PS markets the 2" receiver as a "recovery point." Is that recovery point engineered and constructed so as to safely pull the weight of a JK (or JKU) repeatedly and reliably in a safe manner, or should we be concerned that repeated or prolonged use as a recovery point may lead to structural failure? ;-)

Thanks


BTW, class answer on price point and market!

DTS 04-16-2013 11:01 AM

Product Spotlight video for the RockBrawler II Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su1HYZRflkY

DTS 04-16-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LHC30 (Post 3619975)
Dusty, I am an admirer of PS products since seeing them at JPI's shop and on Stan's JK. The "tow rating" is of interest to me and was wondering if you can provide an answer just off that topic.

PS markets the 2" receiver as a "recovery point." Is that recovery point engineered and constructed so as to safely pull the weight of a JK (or JKU) repeatedly and reliably in a safe manner, or should we be concerned that repeated or prolonged use as a recovery point may lead to structural failure? ;-)

We believe it is stronger than the factory tow hitch. It is fully integrated into the 3/16" plate steel bumper, that is then bolted to the Jeep's frame on 3 planes. But since we have not done the lab testing and paid for a tow rating, we can not call it a "tow hitch". As a recovery point, using a proper receiver recovery attachment, we believe it is as strong or stronger than a welded-on shackle tab.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LHC30 (Post 3619975)
BTW, class answer on price point and market!

Thanks. Its always difficult to answer a question like that diplomatically LOL...

DTS 05-22-2013 06:33 PM

Thanks to DJ Rhoades for these photos of his JK RockBrawler II Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier...

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...hoades04-L.jpg

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...hoades03-L.jpg

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...hoades02-L.jpg

DTS 06-25-2013 01:39 PM

A few new shots of the RockBrawler II Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier...

Couple of shots I snapped on the trail at Big Bear Forest Fest:

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Events-1...615_2430-L.jpg

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Events-1...615_2696-L.jpg

Thanks to Randall Davis for this shot of his fiance Kimmie demonstrating the grocery-getting convenience of the single action tailgate-tire-carrier opening:

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...lDavis06-L.jpg

Thanks to Tom Westphal at New Smyrna Chrysler Jeep in Florida for these shots.

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...naJeep10-L.jpg

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...naJeep03-L.jpg

Thanks to Keith Van Horn for this one:

http://pix.poisonspyder.com/Products...anHorn02-L.jpg

supercazzola 12-14-2013 09:03 AM

For those who chose not to use license plate relocation bracket, how did you keep the tire carrier from protruding through your center hub of the wheel, and still keep the tire flush with the carrier to prevent rattling?

Drock1979 02-25-2014 09:53 PM

I am very much considering this bumper. (BAD ASS) I have a factory hitch now and would like to know what is involved in taking that off to install this and could factory harness be utilized on this new bumper? Thank you for your time in this. Is there an option for this bumper with the notch to allow factory hitch to remain in use?

Phierce 02-26-2014 08:32 AM

The factory hitch has four bolts to remove and using the harness should not be an issue. I think that PS recommends that the RB2 hitch is only for recovery and not towing.
You can only use the factory hitch with the original Rockbrawler.

Drock1979 02-26-2014 09:28 AM

Cool thanks. I really like the feature that allows it to open with tailgate.

supercazzola 02-28-2014 07:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drock1979 (Post 8585865)
Cool thanks. I really like the feature that allows it to open with tailgate.

I have the rockbrawler II with tire carrier on my 2013 Sahara. I just bought one of those mag hitch harness holders, and it works well for me.



Attachment 816769

Hopefully, you can zoom in, and look just to the left of the integrated hitch.

Drock1979 02-28-2014 08:57 AM

Looks sweet. Was factory hitch fairly simple to remove? Have you towed anything with this bumper?

vincentzachattack 03-01-2014 02:54 AM

As they mention that the bumper only comes in bare steel. How easy is it to add color to the bumper so that it looks more unique? Also, what does the bare steel look like? is it black or more of the silver/metal type color? I am stuck between this bumper/ tire carrier and the warn elite series. Ideas on both??

caryt 03-01-2014 10:58 AM

When will you make a way of carrying a couple of Rotopacs on your carriers?

DTS 03-03-2014 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincentzachattack (Post 8669129)
As they mention that the bumper only comes in bare steel. How easy is it to add color to the bumper so that it looks more unique? Also, what does the bare steel look like? is it black or more of the silver/metal type color? I am stuck between this bumper/ tire carrier and the warn elite series. Ideas on both??

It can be as easy as prep and shoot it with rattle can primer and paint, or as involved (i.e. expensive) as having a paint shop do it. As for what the bare steel looks like, check out the product images on our website. But its sort of a moot point because you HAVE TO either paint or powder coat it. You can't leave it bare.

DTS 03-03-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caryt (Post 8674041)
When will you make a way of carrying a couple of Rotopacs on your carriers?

It has been on our to-do list but I have not seen any movement on it yet from our product development guys. So I can't give you any idea as to when. Sorry.

Drock1979 03-03-2014 02:05 PM

Can the tire carrier and bumper be purchased separately? Bumper then carrier as a add on?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 PM.