Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   transmission or just drive shaft HELP!!!!! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/transmission-or-just-drive-shaft-help-233055.html)

cgoodman85 04-05-2013 03:57 PM

transmission or just drive shaft HELP!!!!!

3 Attachment(s)
So my rear drive shaft broke today wah wahhhhhhhh. normal driving. When I crawl underneath the jeep I can see the rubber boot that protects the driveshaft teeth connection to the tranny is gone and the driveshaft teeth are Jacked completely and that is going to have to be replaced. my question is if the driveshaft teeth are that messed up am I going to need a new tranny? If the tranny is good how difficult is it to switch out the driveshaft? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Attachment 232073

Attachment 232074

Attachment 232075

WatchThis! 04-05-2013 04:01 PM

How about a pic to be a little more clear.

sinbob 04-05-2013 04:08 PM

Your tranny connects to the transfer. So what you are looking at is the rear of the transfer......good excuse to get a SYE...slip yoke eliminator

thread dead w/o Pics!!!!

WatchThis! 04-05-2013 04:14 PM

Easy fix. You would be better off replacing it with an aftermarket unit then a stock one

Jeeps_and_Boats 04-05-2013 04:41 PM

? Pics are there guys.

JEEPDON 04-05-2013 07:13 PM

Time for a new aftermarket driveshaft. It will come with all yokes and hardware necessary to change it out. Krawl Offroad; Adams; Tom Woods;
take your pick. I am running a Krawl Offroad on my front. Zero problems as of yet. And the price isn't bad. Send Jason at KOR a PM and see what he can do for you.

SilverSport 04-05-2013 07:28 PM

Now you have an excuse to wrench on your Jeep.

Silverton34 04-05-2013 07:37 PM

Wow,I'm not sure I've seen one go quite that far. Your tranny and transfer case are fine, you just need an aftermarket driveshaft.

Just so the rest of us may learn something from this, two or four door? How much actual lift? How many miles before and after the lift? The pictures show the driveshaft rzeppa joint at a terrible angle, were the wheels on the ground for the photo or was it on a lift?

cgoodman85 04-05-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverton34 (Post 3599850)
Wow,I'm not sure I've seen one go quite that far. Your tranny and transfer case are fine, you just need an aftermarket driveshaft.

Just so the rest of us may learn something from this, two or four door? How much actual lift? How many miles before and after the lift? The pictures show the driveshaft rzeppa joint at a terrible angle, were the wheels on the ground for the photo or was it on a lift?

2dr
3in suspension lift.
17" rims with 33" Mickey Thompson MTX
Around 40k miles after lift- just hit 62k
Lol its on the ground

Also it started to tick a little in 1st and 2nd about a month ago then got bad about a week ago but only in 1st and 2nd. And i couldnt figure out what the problem was. But so glad it's only driveshaft. You guys are the bomb. I can't thank you enough. Still trying to learn my way around her. Anything I need to do to prevent this in the future?

Silverton34 04-05-2013 08:52 PM

Best future prevention is to not use an OEM (factory stock) driveshaft. There are many aftermarket brands that will work much better than stock.