Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   How to deal with rust? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/how-to-deal-with-rust-233110.html)

1994JeepYJ 04-05-2013 07:01 PM

How to deal with rust?
 
Hey guys so my Yj made it through its first winter ( i bought it last year and it was garage kept for over 15 years) but i noticed its getting rust spots on the frame, axles, leaf springs, and drive shafts already :banghead: it looks like the bottom of the tub was already lined with some kind of rhino but the frame is bare. So what should i use to keep rust from forming on the frame and other stuff? thanks!

JackItUp 04-05-2013 08:29 PM

Chassis saver. Look it up.

1994JeepYJ 04-05-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackItUp (Post 3600055)
Chassis saver. Look it up.

Cool thats like Por15 right? I would use that im just worried about not applying it right, or getting it on bolts cause then they will never come out.

I was reading Fluid Film is good, ever hear of it?

JackItUp 04-05-2013 10:43 PM

Fluid film is something i would apply after i used chassis saver or por-15

1994JeepYJ 04-06-2013 09:20 AM

ohh ok thank you for the help :thumb:

Oversd 04-06-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1994JeepYJ (Post 3600249)
Cool thats like Por15 right? I would use that im just worried about not applying it right, or getting it on bolts cause then they will never come out.

I was reading Fluid Film is good, ever hear of it?

Yes Por15 is the best thing you can get to save a frame from rest, I work in a body shop and we have used it before it works great. you have to under stand of how to put it on thought.

1.grind lose rust
2. get the por15 first step rest preventer
3. put the por 15 on evenly everywhere (it sticks better to rust)
4. get engine base coat paint can use a spry can (i like flat black) and cover everything with the por15 (it seals it alittle)

also remember por15 is a preventer does not stop it it just gives you frame about 5 more years maybe more if you put it on right

hope i helped

Jsboening 04-06-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackItUp (Post 3600055)
Chassis saver. Look it up.

X2. I've used it on my 46'. It awesome stuff. I applied it with a brush which makes it more controllable then top coated it with satin rustoleum. Just make sure you don't get it on your skin because it takes weeks to get it off.

A buddy of mine use fluid film on his vehicles before winter ever year and swears by it.

1994JeepYJ 04-06-2013 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsboening (Post 3602181)
X2. I've used it on my 46'. It awesome stuff. I applied it with a brush which makes it more controllable then top coated it with satin rustoleum. Just make sure you don't get it on your skin because it takes weeks to get it off.

A buddy of mine use fluid film on his vehicles before winter ever year and swears by it.


As for the Por15/chassis saver what about putting it on bolts? Does it cause bolts to seize?

Im thinking something like the fluid film would be better cause its not permanent. Ide rather have to reapply then need to change a part and have to deal with stuck bolts

What do u guys think?

Oversd 04-06-2013 04:45 PM

no it wont lock the bolts it would be like having a couple layers of paint on a bolt may stick just a little but not completely lock the bolt

JackItUp 04-06-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsboening (Post 3602181)

X2. I've used it on my 46'. It awesome stuff. I applied it with a brush which makes it more controllable then top coated it with satin rustoleum. Just make sure you don't get it on your skin because it takes weeks to get it off.

A buddy of mine use fluid film on his vehicles before winter ever year and swears by it.

I top coated mine with VHT high temperature ROLL BAR & CHASSIS flat black

1994JeepYJ 04-06-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oversd (Post 3602860)
no it wont lock the bolts it would be like having a couple layers of paint on a bolt may stick just a little but not completely lock the bolt

Awesome sounds like thats what im looking for. thanks again for the help guys

Jsboening 04-06-2013 06:26 PM

The only problem I ran into is I got chassis saver in some of the threaded holes and had to run a tap through some of them. It's good stuff. The only reason you have to paint over it is to keep it from fading.

1994JeepYJ 04-06-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsboening (Post 3603144)
The only problem I ran into is I got chassis saver in some of the threaded holes and had to run a tap through some of them. It's good stuff. The only reason you have to paint over it is to keep it from fading.

Ah that's what I'm worried about. I feel like it's gonna cause more problems for me in the long run. I'm gonna try the fluid film first and see how that goes. I know a few people who swear by it as well.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54 PM.