Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   The charliefoxtrot that is my lift. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/the-charliefoxtrot-that-is-my-lift-23332.html)

charliefoxtrot 11-20-2008 11:34 PM

The charliefoxtrot that is my lift.

For those of you not familiar with the term, charlie foxtrot, it means cluster f*ck.

So as i mentioned in another thread, in the midst of installing my 4" suspension lift, my mechanic and friend decides to hit his head hard enough to temporarily paralyze his legs ( he can move them now), but he had to be medflighted out.

His injuries aside, my jeep was left in pieces in his garage. So we set out on the task trying to install it ourselves. Because i had to go home from school in 3 days.

First a bolt on my skid plate had to be difficult, not the main plate but the one in front of that.

Pitman arm was stuck on there good, so we torched the hell out of it and swiftly knocked it off with a hammer. :firedevil:

that had delayed us quite a while. Tonight we got the whole front suspension on, mounted my new tires on the front, and realized my friend put one of the sway bar links on backwards, sweetness.
Took care of that tonight, im supposed to be going home tomorrow and i still have the whole rear end to do.
To make matters worse, my other friend ( the non hurt one) is the only one with the key. He works all day and doesnt know if he will come down in the evening, might opt to go out drinking instead, so i cant even go tinker at it on my own...:crash:

I'll post some pictures of the progress, or lack there of. Definitely consult you guys with any problems.

charliefoxtrot 11-20-2008 11:43 PM

New problem, apparently i need to drill a hole in this bracket, to that steering rod, or whatever its called, not really sure, can reach over. is this normal?
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...k/P1060050.jpg

charliefoxtrot 11-20-2008 11:44 PM

progress thus far
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...k/P1060051.jpg

stevens243 11-20-2008 11:47 PM

Sounds like ole' Mr. Murphy is tailing you around.

Sorry dude. If it makes you feel any better, someday, the story (that sux now) will be a good thing and make you feel even prouder of your junk.

Myself, the more hurried I get, the longer things take as I'm prone to putting sway bar links on backwards while trying to get things done quicker.

charliefoxtrot 11-20-2008 11:51 PM

murphy is a good friend of mine on this one. thanks man. Any idea about drilling that out? is that normal?

dbbd1 11-21-2008 12:04 AM

It looks like the track bar. You should be able to put it into the original hole, your axle will just not be centered. Should be fine for getting you home but something I would take care of later. (may have to use ratchet straps to help pull things to where you can line up the bolt/hole)

dbbd1 11-21-2008 12:05 AM

BTW, do you know "foxtrot-mike-tango-tango?"

charliefoxtrot 11-21-2008 12:09 AM

not familiar with that one.

What can i do to take care of that? is drilling an option? or bigger track bar?

dbbd1 11-21-2008 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliefoxtrot (Post 285084)
not familiar with that one.

What can i do to take care of that? is drilling an option? or bigger track bar?

Fu<k me to tears

Drill new hole-yes
Adjustable track bar-yes
Bolt it together to get you home-yes

distortedtj 11-21-2008 01:29 AM

The best way is always a new adjustable trackbar.
On most 3'' lift kits you need to drill the hole 3/4inch to the right of the factory hole.
Not sure on the 4'' lift. Did your lift come with install instructions? Should have the measurement in the instruction for the hole location.

And Yes you can put it back into the factory hole. As mentioned your axle will be un-centered but it will get you home no problem.

charliefoxtrot 11-21-2008 08:15 AM

it is a 4" lift. I am not sure about directions. I will have to check. thanks guys, guess im drilling.

Ol' Red 11-21-2008 10:47 AM

For the long term you will either need a longer or adjustable trac bar or a trac bar bracket.

4point 11-21-2008 11:36 AM

When mine had the drop bracket at the axle and it caused some (bump steer) problems. Here is a pic of mine with a new adj track bar. In the pic you can see the hole I drilled in the bracket at the axle which temporarily fixed my problem until I bought the new track bar. Mine is a 4" kit also and I believe I drilled the hole 3/4" over as was stated in a post above.
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j.../Misc/JEEP.jpg

charliefoxtrot 11-21-2008 11:40 AM

I think i saw that drop bracket in the kit.Using that i might still need a new track bar? but that should work for now? thanks again guys

4point 11-21-2008 11:45 AM

Well the unwritten rule is "do not use the drop pitman arm" when installing a lift of 4" or less and "NEVER use the drop pitman arm in conjunction with the drop track bar bracket at the axle".

charliefoxtrot 11-21-2008 12:04 PM

should i put the old pitman arm back on and use the bracket? or use the pitman arm and drill a hole until i can get an adjustable track bar?

charliefoxtrot 11-21-2008 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4point (Post 285146)
Well the unwritten rule is "do not use the drop pitman arm" when installing a lift of 4" or less and "NEVER use the drop pitman arm in conjunction with the drop track bar bracket at the axle".

what will this do? poor handling? will it die out on me?

4point 11-21-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliefoxtrot (Post 285151)
or use the pitman arm and drill a hole until i can get an adjustable track bar?

^^That is what I did,
But I had to buy the frame side drop track bar bracket along with the adj track bar because I used the drop pitman arm. I was having severe bump steer issues.

The way most do it is,
Don't install the drop pitman arm.
Buy an adjustable trackbar

charliefoxtrot 11-21-2008 12:19 PM

Sorry for all the back and forth, im really new to this still. So, best course of action is:

Drop pitman arm already on,
drill hole until i
buy adjustable track bar.

But dont use the bracket it came with and the drop pitman arm? think im getting it.

4point 11-21-2008 12:34 PM

Right, and don't throw away your old pitman arm. You may want to put it back on later.

charliefoxtrot 11-21-2008 12:43 PM

Ok, thanks for the help. would this be a suitable track bar?
Full Traction Suspension 50-750504 - Full-Traction Front Adjustable Trac Bar for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 3"-4" Lift - Quadratec

4point 11-21-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliefoxtrot (Post 285164)

Yes, but if you use it you will probably want to put stock pitman arm back on. You want to keep your drag link and your trackbar as close to parallel as possible.

EDIT: Credit to Mr. C for giving me this info.

charliefoxtrot 11-21-2008 01:02 PM

Why do they give you a drop pitman arm and the bracket if it will cause all these problems? bastards... lol

4point 11-21-2008 01:04 PM

I don't know, but it caused all kinds of problems with my jeep. I hate Rough Country! <they made my lift.

charliefoxtrot 11-21-2008 01:05 PM

they made my lift too.... damn...

Triple88a 11-21-2008 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliefoxtrot (Post 285168)
Why do they give you a drop pitman arm and the bracket if it will cause all these problems? bastards... lol

Its cheaper for them than a new high quality track bar
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4point (Post 285169)
I hate Rough Country! <they made my lift.

hehe :wavey:
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliefoxtrot (Post 285170)
they made my lift too.... damn...

okay looks like we are all in the same boat here.

Did you get a drop bracket? (axle side)
Install that to get you home and until you can get your new track bar (Look at JKS, they have the best trackbars that i am aware off for few pennies more)

I have the drop bracket installed but the drop pitman arm is somewhere in my closet along with my new 2nd sets of RC springs and control arm bushings. :wavey:

Anyhow installing the drop bracket and not the dropped pitman arm will cause bump steer, trying to use the stock hole for the trackbar axle side might not work either. When i did mine, it was way too much of an angle so the trackbar was hitting the top of the original bracket..

I'm surprised you are having problems, i installed mine alone with no problems (besides stripping the rear trackbar torx and using vicegrips to save my life).

Triple88a 11-21-2008 06:35 PM

Look down for the track bar.. $206 and free shipping

JKS MFG. Components

4point 11-21-2008 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 285255)
Anyhow installing the drop bracket and not the dropped pitman arm will cause bump steer,

Installing these two items together "will" cause bump steer. That is what did it on mine.

Triple88a 11-21-2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4point (Post 285276)
Installing these two items together "will" cause bump steer. That is what did it on mine.

the drop bracket at the axle not the frame?

I have the drop bracket at the axle and it's not too bad but i still get bump steer.

charliefoxtrot 12-03-2008 06:52 AM

hey guys, thanks for all the help. Finally got my beloved jeep back, after a long two weeks and not getting a chance to see my family for thanksgiving.

i think it looks pretty damn good:punk:
http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...7/P1170141.jpg