Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Wanted to Remove doors... BAD LJ (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/wanted-to-remove-doors-bad-lj-233329.html)

Virus692 04-06-2013 08:24 PM

Wanted to Remove doors... BAD LJ

Hello Guys n Gals ,

I tried to take the drivers door off My new to me LJ and the PO killed the top Door pin by stripping the nut after putting it on the door(nut spins but will not come off)... so my Question is can you just replace the pin or do you have to replace the whole hinge?

I am going to have to cut the nut off the door ... Please tell me my options

I found the hinges on morris but cannot locate just pins... I found bushings (ratings say they suck) but no pins HELP A BROTHA OUT HERE:wavey: THANKS

Wanna be set free... and Ride topless...:eek:

amiller 04-06-2013 08:28 PM

If you can get that nut off of there, dont worry about a new pin. You likely wont be re-installing the nuts anyway. There will be plenty of pin left to do the job of holding the door on the hinge.

Virus692 04-06-2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amiller (Post 3603621)
If you can get that nut off of there, dont worry about a new pin. You likely wont be re-installing the nuts anyway. There will be plenty of pin left to do the job of holding the door on the hinge.

Wife's rule " if it is on there it stays" AKA must work as designed... Plus I am thinking of locking them:whistling:

BLK00TJ 04-06-2013 08:42 PM

You can try a nut splitter and hopefully the threads on the pin are still in good shape.

larjeep 04-06-2013 08:44 PM

Cut the nut off and re thread the pin with a die.

baker3 04-06-2013 08:44 PM

Try wedging a flat blade between the nut and hinge and put pressure on the nut while trying to loosen it. Mine was stripped as well and thats what I did and it came off. I never put any back on, its just not worth my time.

SurfKaster 04-06-2013 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larjeep (Post 3603689)
Cut the nut off and re thread the pin with a die.

This /\

Some Farkin Guy 04-06-2013 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virus692 (Post 3603669)
Wife's rule " if it is on there it stays" AKA must work as designed... Plus I am thinking of locking them:whistling:

Sounds like they're locked already. :p

Try applying downward pressure on the nut while loosening it. Once you get it off you're going to need a tap and die set to get those threads fixed. Alternatively, if the lock you're talking about replaces the nut, then just use a nut splitter. Also, if you've never removed your doors before, you may have trouble getting them out of the hinges. The first time was a real struggle for me, but once you get them off put some lithium grease on the pins.

Virus692 04-28-2013 12:51 AM

Just a lil update... it took a pneumatic chisel to get that damn. Nut off... I will cut the bolt flush until I decide what hinges I wanna replace it with... tried everything here got pissed and had it cut off.

Dep863 05-03-2013 03:08 AM

I never put the nuts back on, the doors aren't going anywhere!

Rayko 05-03-2013 07:02 AM

Whether its my full doors or half doors, I don't bother with the nuts either. If someone wants your doors the nut isn't going to stop them.

Neil F. 05-03-2013 07:08 AM

Again, the nuts don't need to go back. I cut the threaded portion off years ago so it does not show. (How would the wife even know?)

Drk5ide 05-03-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F. (Post 3714012)
Again, the nuts don't need to go back. I cut the threaded portion off years ago so it does not show. (How would the wife even know?)

X2:thumb:

It also took me about 30 min of pulling and shaking to get my doors off for the first time

Water Dog 05-03-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F. (Post 3714012)

X2...With the doors locked, they won't come out anyway.

TJDave 05-03-2013 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virus692 (Post 3603669)
Wife's rule " if it is on there it stays"

You know you could throw that rule back at her for countless things at home that wives always like to change.

Probably won't work out in your favor!:surrender:

Glad you got those pesky doors off.