Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   will it work? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/will-it-work-2334.html)

import_freak 07-20-2006 05:53 PM

will it work?

hey everybody ive got a question. i work at a non jeep/chrysler dealership as a tech. The other day someone brought an 01 cherokee with quadradrive in with a noise in the front end. It had been in a front end collision and they brought it in for me to align. anyways i found out the axle tube was bent. My question is, its got limited slip and will i be able to swap that in to my jeep? all the gears are good its just the axles rubbing on the tube. and is their any other parts i could rob from it that would swap over?

amerijeep 07-20-2006 06:04 PM

Is that how the shops work? They take stuff out of vehicles brought in for repair and replace the stuff so they can put it in their own vehicles?

I have no idea to the answer to your question.

1BLKJP 07-20-2006 06:12 PM

Well i don't see why you would want to have a bent axle in your jeep? Yes it is a HP30, but it's still bent. Getting them straightened is pretty expensive unless you get a good hook up on it.

dusmcbro 07-20-2006 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amerijeep
Is that how the shops work? They take stuff out of vehicles brought in for repair and replace the stuff so they can put it in their own vehicles?

I have no idea to the answer to your question.

Sounds pretty scary huh?

bluvikng 07-20-2006 06:17 PM

I think all he wants is the limited slip out of it. Also, I am sure that they will replace the whole axle, innerds, and all. That is usually the way DC does things.

1BLKJP 07-20-2006 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluvikng
I think all he wants is the limited slip out of it. Also, I am sure that they will replace the whole axle, innerds, and all. That is usually the way DC does things.

If this is the case then I believe the carriers are the same on HP30 and the regular TJ D30. The gears are not however.

4Jeepn 07-20-2006 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by import_freak
hey everybody ive got a question. i work at a non jeep/chrysler dealership as a tech. The other day someone brought an 01 cherokee with quadradrive in with a noise in the front end. It had been in a front end collision and they brought it in for me to align. anyways i found out the axle tube was bent. My question is, its got limited slip and will i be able to swap that in to my jeep? all the gears are good its just the axles rubbing on the tube. and is their any other parts i could rob from it that would swap over?

Do you mean Grand Cherokee or Cherokee? I don't think it will work as your t-case is not the same, which is part of the reason that limited works in the front axle grand cherokee as I recall.

import_freak 07-21-2006 12:36 AM

Im sorry I dont think I explained myself well enough. Ill be replacing the whole axle. Im not screwing the guy over by any means. His axle tubes bent, there for like I said im replacing the axle. Obviously hes not gonna have any use for the old bent one. There for im wondering if theres any parts I can take off of it, specifically the limited slip. And no i wouldnt be putting a bent axle in my jeep that would be just plain stupid. and its a grand cherokee.