Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Break light problems (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/break-light-problems-233474.html)

rt110099 04-07-2013 02:10 PM

Break light problems

I have a 98 TJ and both rear break lights just quit working the one above the spare still works but the other two are just dead. Traced the wires all the way back to the dash I have not a clue... Thinking it could be the switch at the pedel but at this point I just dont know:banghead: any Thoughts ??????

wa_troop 04-07-2013 02:15 PM

I have that problem with hmmvs all the time don't know if it would be the same issue but there's a adjustable sensor/button on the brake pedal that can go out of wack I'd check under there could be the issue or maybe a blown fuse

scott howard 04-07-2013 02:17 PM

do your running lights work?
put a multi meter at the light and see if you get voltage when you hit the brake.
make sure the ground for them is good .

Shark_13 04-07-2013 03:12 PM

Do the signals/hazards still work? That would rule out bulbs or not. Check fuses as well.

rt110099 04-07-2013 04:18 PM

First thought was a fuse. They are good to go. All turn signals and park lights work there is no power for the break lights I have traced all wires and looked at all connections. Its just really strange becauese the 3rd light above the spare tire works fine so I'm within the Law but still bugs me

Thanks Jeff

Cisco 04-07-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rt110099 (Post 3606343)
First thought was a fuse. They are good to go. All turn signals and park lights work there is no power for the break lights I have traced all wires and looked at all connections. Its just really strange becauese the 3rd light above the spare tire works fine so I'm within the Law but still bugs me

Thanks Jeff

So you've changed the bulbs? There double filament bulbs so half of the bulb may work (parking and turn signal) but the other half of the bulb is out (brake). You may already know this but its a common mistake people sometimes make.

RUBI 4 MY MRS 04-07-2013 06:34 PM

Are the 4 ways working (fuse 9 in the PDC)? Make sure the flasher switch is not on. Also make sure the connector to the multi-function (m-f) switch is good & no melting or discolored terminals there.

If the center light works it's not the fuse or brake switch. The signals work by flashing the brake light on that side so if the signals work all that is OK too. To flash the brake lights the m-f switch has to "disconnect" the brake light on that side for the flasher to take over. Since both brake lights are not working it is less likely that both contacts in the m-f switch are bad. That leaves the 4 way flasher switch. To flash both brake lights as the 4 ways do, the switch had to “disconnect” both brake lights.

Water Dog 04-08-2013 08:51 AM

Make sure you check the fuse with a meter. Don't rely on looks. Sometimes they don't appear to be blown, but are. If your turn signals are working, it rules out bulbs, the wiring from the dash to the back, and grounds. Brakes are the same filament. If the third brake light works, it rules out the stoplight switch. If it's not a fuse, it's most likely in the turn signal/hazzard switch.

Edit: As Rubi 4 My Mrs, said the fuse is also the same for all brake lights, so the fuse would not be the issue.

Cisco 04-13-2013 02:17 PM

curious to know if you ever got it figured out?