Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   How to tie down soft top....2013 Unlimited (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-to-tie-down-soft-top-2013-unlimited-233589.html)

FrankTheTank92 04-07-2013 10:04 PM

How to tie down soft top....2013 Unlimited
 
Sorry if this is somewhere else. I promise I searched for terms that I thought would bring up this topic. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I have a 2013 JK Unlimited with the "premium" soft top.

It obviously came with the paper saying how to fold the top back.

What I am not sure of is how to use the 2 different type of straps that it came with properly.

I am too scared to do it wrong and ride down the road and it start flapping in the wind.

If you can tell me, that's great, pictures are even better. If you can point me to a thread that's already out there, that works just the same.

Thanks ahead of time! :thumb:

jwilson2598 04-07-2013 10:57 PM

I'm assuming your talking about the 2 Velcro straps and the 2 elastic straps with snaps on them? If so, the the Velcro ones are used to hold the soft top in the Sunrider position. You wrap them around the bows where they fold in half over the rear doors. The elastic straps with snaps. Are for rolling your rear window up. They snap onto the rear soft top bow. I personally never use them because they end up stretching and scratching the rear window.

Blastek 04-07-2013 11:05 PM

^^ never use the elastic straps.

the velcro straps are also unneeded. I started out by strapping the bows up in the sunrider and full-down position. But... really, they don't do jack. the top doesn't move even at 70mph.

FrankTheTank92 04-07-2013 11:06 PM

So should I just take the Window off completely when I fold the top?

RKracing 04-07-2013 11:08 PM

YES! and reread the paper that shows you how to do it. It does show to remove the windows before taking down the top.

FrankTheTank92 04-07-2013 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKracing (Post 3607861)
YES! and reread the paper that shows you how to do it. It does show to remove the windows before taking down the top.

Yeah no I got that part. I got my back window off. I just seen the videos where it said to roll the window up and strap it.

Blastek 04-07-2013 11:21 PM

Yeah, remove the window completely when you fold the top. Don't even touch the windows, or store them on top of each other unless they are clean. Even one days worth of dust will scratch them if they are touched.

The roll up straps are a great idea, but in reality, rolling your window destroys it very fast.

hdb 04-07-2013 11:29 PM

I was really rough on my first set of soft windows and they never really scratched up that badly even when I stored them dirty, and I always rolled up my back window. And like the others said the straps arent used to hold the top down it just folds back and sits there. Careful about keeping your soft windows in the jeep with you though, my buddy had one of his fly out while driving.

Dont jeeps come with a movie anymore that shows you how to take the top off and how to do basic offroading stuff? My 05 came with a VHS I thought maybe they would come with a DVD now...

jwilson2598 04-08-2013 06:46 AM

There is a DVD that comes with the Jeep. I believe it shows on there how to do it. I honestly didn't even look because this is my second JK, so I had it down pretty good from the last one.

JamesWyatt 04-08-2013 08:09 AM

Make that rear window your bitch and don't worry about it. I roll up the back window on my 2013 like I did on my TJs. It's a Jeep, and the windows will still last years before they need replacing. My rear window has a few scratches, but if I first clean the back window with a wet microfiber cloth it helps a ton. It's a pain to remove and replace the rear window - it sucks getting it back on, especially.

Also if your local automatic car wash uses foam and microfiber materials on their giant spinning thingies, you can take it through (contrary to the owners manual that says not to). My local car wash cleans theirs regularly. I have zero scratches on the windows from going through it.

kappaknight 04-08-2013 08:10 AM

How do you guys secure the top itself when off-roading; or do you just take it completely off?

This was me this past weekend climbing a hill. The thing just kept flapping up and down. One thing to note is I DO have the Tuffy Security Enclosure; not sure if that puts the folded top at a higher plane or not.

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/...ps109df4cc.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/...ps15adf13a.jpg
http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2c313575.jpg

I could try and bungee it, but the entire thing seems to bounce with the end part sometimes popping and stand against the wheel well.

jeepingchester 04-08-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kappaknight (Post 3608630)
How do you guys secure the top itself when off-roading; or do you just take it completely off?

This was me this past weekend climbing a hill. The thing just kept flapping up and down. One thing to note is I DO have the Tuffy Security Enclosure; not sure if that puts the folded top at a higher plane or not.

I could try and bungee it, but the entire thing seems to bounce with the end part sometimes popping and stand against the wheel well.

I use the Velcro straps to hold mine down. I think the manual says to do this.

kramer2k 04-08-2013 08:30 AM

Whoah man, that top is a mess back there :p

Use the Velcro straps through the hard top mount holes in the tub then around the soft top arms and it'll at least stop the bouncing against the wheel wells.

I'd also suggest folding the top with a W method so it goes flatter and also roll up the rear vertical panels so they're not hanging out the Jeep. Tuck them away once rolled up.

Coho37 04-08-2013 09:26 AM

Soft top windows
 
So here's a rookie question- you're out on a trip, you decide to fold the top down. Following the advice above and elsewhere, you remove the side and back soft windows, but do not tight-roll them. So what do you do with them?
There is no room to store them flat in the JK, especially with the stuff you are carrying for your trip...
Ideas?

yellowtailfan 04-08-2013 10:12 AM

this ---> 2011 Jeep Wrangler Soft top operation Hilton Head Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram - YouTube :)

KittyPrawn 04-08-2013 10:27 AM

There are boots you can buy if you find that the velcro straps aren't enough. They're a bit pricey, but I think it makes it looks nice in the rear.

There are also storage duffels for the windows. Some people design their own... like using towels and pvc pipe (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/201...ge-164515.html)

BTW - Searching is easier for this forum if you use google instead of the built in search. I type in "Wrangler Forum [what i'm looking for]" into my search bar, and it'll pull up stuff from the forums.

kramer2k 04-08-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coho37 (Post 3608854)
So here's a rookie question- you're out on a trip, you decide to fold the top down. Following the advice above and elsewhere, you remove the side and back soft windows, but do not tight-roll them. So what do you do with them?
There is no room to store them flat in the JK, especially with the stuff you are carrying for your trip...
Ideas?

I carry my Bestop Wondow Roll if I have my windows installed. Or if there's a threat of rain I take them rolled up in the roll just in case.

Eichster 04-08-2013 10:46 AM

I also use my best top window roll which straps to the rear rollbar and acts as a good tool to hold the soft top down when on the road or trail.

Beastmaster 04-08-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k (Post 3609054)
I carry my Bestop Wondow Roll if I have my windows installed. Or if there's a threat of rain I take them rolled up in the roll just in case.

I do the same. :thumb:

I also bought a boot cover (Rugged Ridge ~$80) and use the velcro straps to keep the arms down.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...7&d=1343872018

jdambm 04-08-2013 10:52 AM

subscribed!:angel:

FrankTheTank92 04-08-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastmaster (Post 3609107)
I do the same. :thumb:

I also bought a boot cover (Rugged Ridge ~$80) and use the velcro straps to keep the arms down.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...7&d=1343872018

That's an awesome idea :thumb:

jwilson2598 04-08-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beastmaster (Post 3609107)

I do the same. :thumb:

I also bought a boot cover (Rugged Ridge ~$80) and use the velcro straps to keep the arms down.

Yep, this is how I did it on my 08 and will be doing in my 13 except I have a Clover Patch roll instead of the Bestop one.

yellowtailfan 04-08-2013 01:35 PM

Little off topic, but i hate to start, yet another "top" thread....:thumb:

Anyone ride with their soft top in the 'sunrider' position? Essentially, just the first half folded back? Seems like those small clips are just too weak! If anyone has any reference to how fast you can drive with it like that?

In the video I posted earlier, it references you can. I'm curious of real life experiences.:confused:

Blastek 04-08-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowtailfan (Post 3609779)
Little off topic, but i hate to start, yet another "top" thread....:thumb:

Anyone ride with their soft top in the 'sunrider' position? Essentially, just the first half folded back? Seems like those small clips are just too weak! If anyone has any reference to how fast you can drive with it like that?

In the video I posted earlier, it references you can. I'm curious of real life experiences.:confused:

owner's manual says to remove the rear window at speeds greater than 40 mph. I've driven at 65 with the sides of the rear window unzipped with no problem. I don't like the way it looks, so I usually drop the whole thing.

Drmad7 04-08-2013 02:24 PM

Did it all of the time if I didn't feel like unzipping and packing away windows. I just unzipped both sides of the rear windows and rolled it up. And I have never had an issue with it. It's why I love Wranglers, sooo versatile!

Jeepinjew 04-08-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowtailfan (Post 3609779)
Little off topic, but i hate to start, yet another "top" thread....:thumb:

Anyone ride with their soft top in the 'sunrider' position? Essentially, just the first half folded back? Seems like those small clips are just too weak! If anyone has any reference to how fast you can drive with it like that?

In the video I posted earlier, it references you can. I'm curious of real life experiences.:confused:

Funny you should ask, I just did about 150miles of highway driving with the top in "sunrider". I did take out the back window entirely, to allow for airflow, but the top held up fine. You'll definitely get the clips rattling a bit, and the top flap in the "W" you make from the top (if you have a 4dr like me) will probably get some lift, but nothing distracting. I got up to 90 for brief moments, but mostly 65-80mph

JamesWyatt 04-09-2013 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One thing to note about the sunrider position to help fold/position the cloth correctly - it's the opposite of the natural "W" it forms when you move it back.

So what I do is unlatch the front latches and just fold it back naturally. Then go and lift up on it a little and the two parts that are folded forward should be pulled back on both sides. This gets all the cloth pulled back from above the rear seats and provides open sky to both front and back passengers. The final result is a bit of an accordion setup.

KittyPrawn 04-10-2013 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesWyatt (Post 3616309)
One thing to note about the sunrider position to help fold/position the cloth correctly - it's the opposite of the natural "W" it forms when you move it back.

So what I do is unlatch the front latches and just fold it back naturally. Then go and lift up on it a little and the two parts that are folded forward should be pulled back on both sides. This gets all the cloth pulled back from above the rear seats and provides open sky to both front and back passengers. The final result is a bit of an accordion setup.

This is exactly how I do it too. It adds an extra step, but it looks a lot neater and it isn't hanging down into the rear passenger's face!

kramer2k 04-10-2013 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittyPrawn (Post 3618403)

This is exactly how I do it too. It adds an extra step, but it looks a lot neater and it isn't hanging down into the rear passenger's face!

+1

It's rare I go sunrider mode but that's exactly how mine looks when I do it.

JamesWyatt 04-10-2013 08:10 AM

One more tip: found out the hard way I needed to put on gloves to put the top back up on a sunny day. The black metal bars get really hot even on a 78 degree day. Can't imagine how hot they would get in the summer!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:18 AM.