Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Six little screws (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/six-little-screws-234007.html)

rigormortis 04-09-2013 08:34 AM

Six little screws
 
Took my hard top off for the first time today. What a blast! :punk: Yet, I wonder if anyone else was like me in thinking... "huh, there are only slx little screws holding the back of this thing on when I'm running with the driver and passenger tops removed... what keeps that back part from ripping off from the wind pressure?"

kjeeper10 04-09-2013 08:37 AM

Forgetting about the 2 hand screws through the sound bar ?

Mistermoose 04-09-2013 08:39 AM

And the two locking clips on the winshield...

HOOCBB 04-09-2013 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rigormortis (Post 3613169)
Took my hard top off for the first time today. What a blast! :punk: Yet, I wonder if anyone else was like me in thinking... "huh, there are only slx little screws holding the back of this thing on when I'm running with the driver and passenger tops removed... what keeps that back part from ripping off from the wind pressure?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3613176)
Forgetting about the 2 hand screws through the sound bar ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistermoose (Post 3613178)
And the two locking clips on the winshield...

You guys are missing the bold part above...

I've thought about this same thing, but the first time I took the HT off, I realized the mounting points are a bit thicker to add some reinforcement.

SilverSport 04-09-2013 08:50 AM

With the Freedom panels off, most of the airflow still goes over the top.

kjeeper10 04-09-2013 08:51 AM

The 2 big bolts secure the top not the freedom panels............ Or am I wrong ??

I left them out this winter and forget their purpose.

SilverSport 04-09-2013 08:55 AM

The 6 bolts along the sides and the 2 above the B pillar are the same size.

asianhulk 04-09-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3613222)
The 2 big bolts secure the top not the freedom panels............ Or am I wrong ??

I left them out this winter and forget their purpose.

I think the sound bar screws help seal the rear portion of the freedom panel. To assist in the prevention of leaks?

Drmad7 04-09-2013 08:58 AM

You are correct. But there are two screws on the top of the hardtop that secure it to the jeep. At least on the '08, I didn't check on my '13. But if the screws/bolts are still there, an important thing to do is check for tightness after the first time you remove the top and put it back on. I noticed after a while that the screws would get loose after several days of driving without the freedom tops. I'm talking about the screws on top, not the bolts you reach from the inside of the jeep.

SilverSport 04-09-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drmad7 (Post 3613243)
You are correct. But there are two screws on the top of the hardtop that secure it to the jeep. At least on the '08, I didn't check on my '13. But if the screws/bolts are still there, an important thing to do is check for tightness after the first time you remove the top and put it back on. I noticed after a while that the screws would get loose after several days of driving without the freedom tops. I'm talking about the screws on top, not the bolts you reach from the inside of the jeep.

^This. The hardtop itself has a Torx screw on each of the front corners.

rigormortis 04-09-2013 12:34 PM

There were no torx screws on the front corners of my 2d 2012 JK... so, just the 6 in the back.

CorvusCorax 04-09-2013 01:02 PM

2d 6 screws/4d 8 screws

HOOCBB 04-09-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3613222)
The 2 big bolts secure the top not the freedom panels............ Or am I wrong ??

I left them out this winter and forget their purpose.

Those bolts go into the freedom panels only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3613235)
The 6 bolts along the sides and the 2 above the B pillar are the same size.

This is true for a 4 door, but a 2 door does not have the 2 bolts at the b pillar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianhulk (Post 3613242)
I think the sound bar screws help seal the rear portion of the freedom panel. To assist in the prevention of leaks?

correct

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drmad7 (Post 3613243)
You are correct. But there are two screws on the top of the hardtop that secure it to the jeep. At least on the '08, I didn't check on my '13. But if the screws/bolts are still there, an important thing to do is check for tightness after the first time you remove the top and put it back on. I noticed after a while that the screws would get loose after several days of driving without the freedom tops. I'm talking about the screws on top, not the bolts you reach from the inside of the jeep.

No B pillar bolts on a 2 door, only the 6 under the windows and the sound bar bolts for the freedom panels.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3613259)
^This. The hardtop itself has a Torx screw on each of the front corners.

4 door only

SilverSport 04-09-2013 09:30 PM

^Check.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.