Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   pointers appreciated: Oil Change (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/pointers-appreciated-oil-change-234186.html)

fxsxux 04-09-2013 07:33 PM

pointers appreciated: Oil Change

Hi All,

I will be attempting my first ever oil change in the coming week. I have a 4.0 liter.... Any thoughts?

Here is my shopping list:

Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil -(Pack of 6) (PO always used this)
3.75 Gallon Plastic Oil Drain Pan
Spill Saver Multi-Purpose Funnel
Mobil 1 M1-204 Extended Performance Oil Filter
TEKTON 3-3/4-Inch Flex Oil Filter Wrench

As you see I did not have the proper tools so I had to buy them too... It's an investment right :angel:

any points you guys have for a 34 year old accountant attempting this? Could not be any worse then the brake line this forum helped coach me through:thumb:

_plaisance 04-09-2013 07:41 PM

theres nothing to it run your jeep for a few minutes to let the oil get a little warm and crawl underneath get a wrench undo the plug on your oil pan and let the oil drain out DO NOT TAKE THE OIL FILTER OFF BEFORE YOU DRAIL YOUR OIL PAN, going to be a huge mess after its fully drained put your plug back and fully tighten it unscrew old filter slap a new one on and refill with oil

Big Cole 04-09-2013 07:41 PM

When you remove the drain plug oil will shoot out with some force. I always hold my drain pan about two inches from the plug to avoid oil squirting all over the ground. Make sure you do not over tighten the plug when reinstalling. I never use a filter wrench and just get the filter hand tight. Prior to installing the filter rub a thin bead of oil with your finger on the filter gasket. Good luck.

Badfbody 04-09-2013 07:48 PM

I believe you need a 16mm box wrench for drain plug and I would also get some Nitrile gloves..

krisbman 04-09-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxsxux (Post 3616122)
Hi All,

I will be attempting my first ever oil change in the coming week. I have a 4.0 liter.... Any thoughts?

Here is my shopping list:

Mobil 1 Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil -(Pack of 6) (PO always used this)
3.75 Gallon Plastic Oil Drain Pan
Spill Saver Multi-Purpose Funnel
Mobil 1 M1-204 Extended Performance Oil Filter
TEKTON 3-3/4-Inch Flex Oil Filter Wrench

As you see I did not have the proper tools so I had to buy them too... It's an investment right :angel:

any points you guys have for a 34 year old accountant attempting this? Could not be any worse then the brake line this forum helped coach me through:thumb:

Need a 16mm socket or box end wrench also, and dont wear your new white button up shirt!

JP4VPI 04-09-2013 08:06 PM

Make sure the gasket for the old filter comes off the engine before putting the new one on.

Jwolfer 04-09-2013 08:14 PM

Where do you guys discard your old oil?

fxsxux 04-09-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisbman (Post 3616292)
Need a 16mm socket or box end wrench also, and dont wear your new white button up shirt!

I'll make sure I leave it inside :nonono:

thanks for the good pointers :)

What do I do with the old oil? I heard I can bring it to anywhere that does oil changes and per NJ state law they have to take it. any other options you guys know of? anyone from NJ can confirm this?

Big Cole 04-09-2013 08:16 PM

Recycle it at your local autoparts store.

krisbman 04-09-2013 08:18 PM

If you have garbage service they should take it

fxsxux 04-09-2013 08:18 PM

answered my own question for NJ DIYers

NJDEP-GUIDELINES FOR siting used oil collection tanks

Tdog02 04-09-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwolfer (Post 3616394)

Anyplace that changes oil will recycle it at no charge. (Fed law) Walmart, parts stores, Firestone, etc... Firestone took all my fluids including coolant. Just make sure to use containers that you can leave with them and you will be there 1 min or less. I save old milk jugs for recycling fluids.

cchartrand 04-09-2013 08:22 PM

Great to see people still changing their own oil. Also great that the awesome people of WF came out to lend advise..... Without negative comments! Kudos to you guys.

KreepAlong 04-09-2013 08:29 PM

^yup, remember to wipe some oil on the black rubber gasket ring on the new filter. And check to be sure the one you removed still has it's gasket on.

Millertime78 04-09-2013 09:00 PM

Make sure you only use your fancy oil filter wrench to take the filter off!!! Hand tight back on.

First time I ever changed my own oil, I tightened the filter with the wrench as tight as I could...bad times!

99tj707 04-09-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millertime78 (Post 3616759)
Make sure you only use your fancy oil filter wrench to take the filter off!!! Hand tight back on.

First time I ever changed my own oil, I tightened the filter with the wrench as tight as I could...bad times!

Or you could just jam a screwdriver through it lol.

Nanook 04-09-2013 09:10 PM

Have a woman do it, read below.

WOMEN:

1. Pull up to Jiffy Lube or Valvoline Instant Oil Change when the mileage reaches 3,000 miles since the last oil change.

2. Drink a cup of coffee while they change the oil.

3. 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

Cost: $29.99 oil change, $2.00 coffee. Total $32.00

MEN:

1. Wait until Saturday, drive to the auto parts store. Buy a case of oil, oil filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner (don't forget a little tree air freshener). Write a check to the auto parts store for approximately $50.

2. Stop by 7/11 on the way home, buy a case of beer. Write a check for $20.00.

3. Drive home with oil and beer.

4. Open beer, enjoy it.

5. Spend 30 minutes looking for the jack stands.

6. Find the jack stands (finally) under the kid's pedal car, jack the car up.

7. Open another beer, drink it.

8. Place drain pan under engine.

9. Look for 9/16" box end wrench for drain plug

10. Give up looking ten minutes later, find crescent wrench.

11. Unscrew drain plug.

12. Drop drain plug into pan of hot oil. Splash hot oil onto your hands and face in the process. Cuss and swear.

13. Crawl out from under car, wipe hot oil from hands and face. Throw some kitty litter on the spilled oil.

14. Open another beer while watching the last drops of oil drain.

15. Spend 30 minutes looking for the oil filter wrench.

16. Give up looking for oil filter wrench, crawl under car and hammer a flat-head screwdriver through the oil filter and twist it off.

17. Crawl out from under car, splashing hot oil everywhere from newly made holes in oil filter.

18. Cleverly hide used oil filter in trash to avoid those pesky environmental penalties. Open another beer.

19. Install new oil filter, making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to the gasket.

20. Pour the first quart of new oil into engine.

21. Oops! Now remember the drain plug (removed in step 11). It's still swimming in the now-warm oil in the drain pan.

22. Throw more kitty litter on the quart-sized oil puddle on the floor.

23. Open another beer and drink it.

24. Find drain plug with a minimum of spillage, hand-tighten in drain plug socket. Drink beer.

25. Crawl under car (getting oily kitty litter embedded in neck and arms). Tighten drain plug with crescent wrench, but this time, it's slippery. Bang your knuckles on the frame while tightening drain plug.

26. Throw crescent wrench across the garage in anger. Throw a fit because crescent wrench hits bowling trophy (which wife wouldn't let stay in the house).

27. Open another beer and drink it.

28. Clean hands, bandaging where needed to stop blood flow.

29. Pour in five quarts of fresh oil.

30. Lower car from jack stands. Smile at your handiwork. Open another beer and drink it.

31. Move car back to discover oil puddles you missed; apply more kitty litter to missed areas.

32. Test drive car to make sure oil doesn't leak.

33. Get pulled over a block from the house by local police, get arrested for DUI.

34. Call loving wife and bail bondsman.

35. Next day, get car out of impound yard.

Cost: $50 parts, $20 beer, Impound fee $75, Bail $1500, DUI $2500 minimum. Total $4145 (but you know the job was done right!)

Wondertwin1 04-09-2013 09:11 PM

Only buy 5 quarts of oil and one quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. It is amazing stuff and I use it everywhere I can. It makes the oil stringy and sticky. So instead of just running down the metal. It sticks to it and will lubricate it better. As far as oil filters, if you have a very large pair of channel locks you can smash the end to square it off and try to turn it, or use a hammer and screwdriver to drive through, but be careful not to beat the hell out of it and break something, and make sure the screwdriver goes trough the end of the filter, not towards the engine. Drive and get it really nice and hot before you drain the oil.

TJDave 04-09-2013 09:18 PM

Get an oil filter strap wrench. Works for all size filters and is perfect for limited space. Also great if some Jippy Nube guy over-tightened your filter previously. Great tool.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...eDkn6V4w8cMrgg

krisbman 04-09-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 3616827)

WOMEN:

1. Pull up to Jiffy Lube or Valvoline Instant Oil Change when the mileage reaches 3,000 miles since the last oil change.

3. 15 minutes later, write a check and leave with a properly maintained vehicle.

MEN:

1. Wait until Saturday, drive to the auto parts store. Buy a case of oil, oil filter, kitty litter, hand cleaner (don't forget a little tree air freshener). Write a check to the auto parts store for approximately $50.

4. Open beer, enjoy it.

11. Unscrew drain plug.

12. Drop drain plug into pan of hot oil. Splash hot oil onto your hands and face in the process. Cuss and swear.

13. Crawl out from under car, wipe hot oil from hands and face. Throw some kitty litter on the spilled oil.

16. Give up looking for oil filter wrench, crawl under car and hammer a flat-head screwdriver through the oil filter and twist it off.

17. Crawl out from under car, splashing hot oil everywhere from newly made holes in oil filter.

18. Cleverly hide used oil filter in trash to avoid those pesky environmental penalties. Open another beer.

19. Install new oil filter, making sure to apply a thin coat of oil to the gasket.

21. Oops! Now remember the drain plug (removed in step 11). It's still swimming in the now-warm oil in the drain pan.

24. Find drain plug with a minimum of spillage, hand-tighten in drain plug socket. Drink beer.

25. Crawl under car (getting oily kitty litter embedded in neck and arms). Tighten drain plug with crescent wrench, but this time, it's slippery. Bang your knuckles on the frame while tightening drain plug.

26. Throw crescent wrench across the garage in anger. Throw a fit because crescent wrench hits bowling trophy (which wife wouldn't let stay in the house).

30. Lower car from jack stands. Smile at your handiwork. Open another beer and drink it.

31. Move car back to discover oil puddles you missed; apply more kitty litter to missed areas.

33. Get pulled over a block from the house by local police, get arrested for DUI.

Cost: $50 parts, $20 beer, Impound fee $75, Bail $1500, DUI $2500 minimum. Total $4145 (but you know the job was done right!)

And your point is?

99tj707 04-10-2013 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nanook (Post 3616827)

WOMEN:

MEN:

4. Open beer, enjoy it.

11. Unscrew drain plug.

Lmao you don't change you're oil do you?

fxsxux 04-10-2013 07:15 AM

Drain plug... As tight as I can get it? Or can it be too tight and cause damage?

Atthehop 04-10-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fxsxux (Post 3618408)
Drain plug... As tight as I can get it? Or can it be too tight and cause damage?

I just give mine a little snug once its hand tight. If you try to make it super tight you will most likely strip it and then your literally screwed.

Atthehop 04-10-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millertime78 (Post 3616759)

All you need to do when installing a new oil filter is make it as tight as possible with your hand. No wrench required. Never had a problem with one after 40+ years of DIY.

Atthehop 04-10-2013 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwolfer (Post 3616394)

I bring mine to the town recycling center. They have a tank to pour it into.

homebrwd 04-10-2013 07:32 AM

Pick up one of these to replace your drain plug with, makes the next changes even easier and mess free.

Fumoto F-101N Engine Oil Drain Valve : Amazon.com : Automotive

fxsxux 04-10-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebrwd (Post 3618460)
Pick up one of these to replace your drain plug with, makes the next changes even easier and mess free.

like the idea of this... just concerned about hitting it somehow and mistakenly draining my oil while driving... how long have you been using it? have you had any problems? Is it bulletproof?

Jerry Bransford 04-10-2013 03:55 PM

The Fumoto drain valve is a nice little upgrade, I installed one into my previous TJ & would now like another for my current TJ. It is well designed & won't accidentally let your oil drain out.

I just wish I had better access to my oil pan's drain bolt so draining it wouldn't make such a mess. I have a full-length engine skidplate installed & its drain hole opening isn't properly positioned. When I get a round tuit, I will cut that part out of the skidplate & weld it back in so it is better positioned.

Will335i 04-10-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebrwd (Post 3618460)

Fram made a similar product that I used on my 94 Grand Cherokee. It had a hose that would attach and wouldn't drain without it and a dust cap for extra protection. I can't seem to find it anymore though so I doubt they still make it.

EDIT: Found it http://www.amazon.com/Fram-SD4-SureD.../dp/B000AMXT0Q

Jerry Bransford 04-10-2013 04:48 PM

At least from that website, it doesn't look like Fram's will fit the Wrangler's oil pan.