Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Tricks to getting well nuts out of ac condenser?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/tricks-to-getting-well-nuts-out-of-ac-condenser-234277.html)

DNKC 04-09-2013 11:55 PM

Tricks to getting well nuts out of ac condenser??
 
well I started removing things in prep to take the grille out. Ran into the 4 well nuts that hold the ac condenser onto the grill. They just spin. I tried to grip the top ones through the grill slots with pliers and ended up ripping the rubber off. This let me pry up enough on them to get the top ones out. The bottom two however I dunno how I'm going to get to them.. Any tips would be appreciated..

Black Magic Brakes 04-10-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNKC (Post 3617566)
well I started removing things in prep to take the grille out. Ran into the 4 well nuts that hold the ac condenser onto the grill. They just spin. I tried to grip the top ones through the grill slots with pliers and ended up ripping the rubber off. This let me pry up enough on them to get the top ones out. The bottom two however I dunno how I'm going to get to them.. Any tips would be appreciated..

You basically have it figured out. Grab them with vise grips until the rubber shears off of the brass insert and then grab it to get the bolt out.

Wesboy 04-10-2013 09:29 AM

I can't remember how I got mine out but I know I destroyed them in the process.
I've been looking for replacements ever since.
Does anyone even know what they are called.
I was going to use regular bolts but thought there must be a damn good reason to use those bolt/rivet/grommet/nutcert things.

I currently have the aircon condenser 'sandwiched' between the radiator and the back of the grill with some strips of rubber.
It's held up OK like that but I'd to get the correct replacement fasteners.

Black Magic Brakes 04-10-2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wesboy (Post 3618820)
I can't remember how I got mine out but I know I destroyed them in the process.
I've been looking for replacements ever since.
Does anyone even know what they are called.
I was going to use regular bolts but thought there must be a damn good reason to use those bolt/rivet/grommet/nutcert things.

I currently have the aircon condenser 'sandwiched' between the radiator and the back of the grill with some strips of rubber.
It's held up OK like that but I'd to get the correct replacement fasteners.

They are called rubber well nuts. I believe this is the correct size. 1/4-20 for a 1/2" hole.

1/4" - 20 Rubber Well Nuts

Wesboy 04-10-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 3618860)
They are called rubber well nuts. I believe this is the correct size. 1/4-20 for a 1/2" hole.

1/4" - 20 Rubber Well Nuts

Thanks a million.
I had almost given up on finding the correct fasteners.

DNKC 04-10-2013 09:53 PM

I didnt get up underneath it tonight like I was hoping to to take a look at the bottom two bolts. So I haven't made much progress. Probably going to be friday evening before I do. Hopefully there is some sort of access that I didn't see initially to get pliers or vice grips in there to hang on to them.

BMBRakes is correct. They are called well-nuts and I'm pretty sure most auto parts places should have some.

Just for reference the part book for my '03 lists the size as .25-20x.63 for the well nuts and .25-20x.75 for the hex head bolt.

Black Magic Brakes 04-11-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNKC (Post 3621629)
I didnt get up underneath it tonight like I was hoping to to take a look at the bottom two bolts. So I haven't made much progress. Probably going to be friday evening before I do. Hopefully there is some sort of access that I didn't see initially to get pliers or vice grips in there to hang on to them.

BMBRakes is correct. They are called well-nuts and I'm pretty sure most auto parts places should have some.

Just for reference the part book for my '03 lists the size as .25-20x.63 for the well nuts and .25-20x.75 for the hex head bolt.

That means the size I gave him is incorrect. They should be 1/4-20 x 5/8" hole according to your list. I picked my supply up at a hardware store that carries the Auveco line.

Wesboy 04-11-2013 06:19 PM

I've already ordered 1/4-20 for a 1/2" hole.
One thing I can say about Clips and Fasteners.com - they are FAST - rubber well nuts are already in the post.
No harm done, I'm just happy to finally know what to look for.
And you never know, they may be the right size for my 97

Black Magic Brakes 04-11-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wesboy (Post 3625042)
I've already ordered 1/4-20 for a 1/2" hole.
One thing I can say about Clips and Fasteners.com - they are FAST - rubber well nuts are already in the post.
No harm done, I'm just happy to finally know what to look for.
And you never know, they may be the right size for my 97

I measured the hole in the grill today and it is indeed 1/2" so I was mistaken about being mistaken.

DNKC 04-11-2013 11:04 PM

i think the .63 refers to the length of the well nut..?

Black Magic Brakes 04-12-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DNKC (Post 3626415)
i think the .63 refers to the length of the well nut..?

I think they incorrectly measured the small shoulder that stops it from dropping through the 1/2" hole. I don't believe they are shorter than 3/4" or so.

Sccafire 04-12-2013 12:05 PM

Just leaving this here for future reference and for those who actually use the search function. The part number from Jeep is J4003120. The size is .25-20x.63 well nut.

Just trying to help.

Wesboy 04-28-2013 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 3618860)
They are called rubber well nuts. I believe this is the correct size. 1/4-20 for a 1/2" hole.

1/4" - 20 Rubber Well Nuts

Thanks for the tip :thumb:
Just put these in.
It's only a little thing but it feels good to have the AC condenser secured with the correct fasteners again.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.