Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Scared to ruff up jeep off road? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/scared-to-ruff-up-jeep-off-road-234291.html)

Dannylot 04-10-2013 05:57 AM

Scared to ruff up jeep off road?

So I will be getting my unlimited very soon.. An was wonder if anyone else feels like I do. This will be a daily driver but I also want to do light off roading an trails but I'm anal about my vehicles an keep them in mint shape an always clean. I'm nervous to mess up my daily driver an scratch it all up or what not. I don't want to be just a mall crawler though an wanna have some fun too any advice ? Or am I just being paranoid? I don't really care about it getting dirty an all cuz obviously I can wash it.. Just don't want it all dented an scratched up.. Are you guys that offload always breaking parts ?

michiganadam 04-10-2013 06:05 AM

At minimum put rock sliders on it. Dont wait to offroad though. Just do it. But it would be very easy to crunch a rocker panel and never see it coming. Other than that youre going to have to hit something to screw it up. A lift kit, 33s, will help it climb over things without bottoming out.

Honestly my jeep was a rental almost exclusively used for offroading. And its not torn up.

Ive only had mine on very light and fairly boring trails.

JEEPDON 04-10-2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannylot (Post 3618148)
So I will be getting my unlimited very soon.. An was wonder if anyone else feels like I do. This will be a daily driver but I also want to do light off roading an trails but I'm anal about my vehicles an keep them in mint shape an always clean. I'm nervous to mess up my daily driver an scratch it all up or what not. I don't want to be just a mall crawler though an wanna have some fun too any advice ? Or am I just being paranoid? I don't really care about it getting dirty an all cuz obviously I can wash it.. Just don't want it all dented an scratched up.. Are you guys that offload always breaking parts ?

Fun costs a lot of money!!!!!
It is never a matter of IF; but a matter of WHEN!!!
When you go offroad, the dings and scratches WILL happen.

TJ-GTR 04-10-2013 07:01 AM

Scratches and dings are bound to happen, even if you never take it off the pavement. It's called, "character" not " damage". Take it out and enjoy it. That's what its for.

twarner776 04-10-2013 07:02 AM

^^^^^^ This.

You need to come to grips that eventually something will happen. and when it does you need to be ok with it. Owning a jeep can be a very expensive hobby. Notice I said hobby not vehicle.

hdb 04-10-2013 07:27 AM

Cant you find any trails that dont have overhanging branches or huge rocks to climb over? I dont think you'd dent or scratch anything unless you drove into something. Cept, when you get back on the road all those little rocks stuck in your tread will start flying off and go everywhere. I offroad at least once a week and havent put any dents or scratches in mine (i have some but not from offroading) but I do it in my pasture which is mostly open hilly space, though, I have driven right through some branches and let them swipe me and I still cant see any scratches. But its white with half doors and soft top so... there isnt that much paint to scratch up.

baytownbert 04-10-2013 07:50 AM

Can you do beach runs? How about logging trails? You don't have to tear up your rig to have fun, but you will get dirty every time. Put some lopper shears in your kit and if there is a limb sticking out that will scratch your rig, get out and cut it off. Drive and learn what your Jeep can't do before upgrading.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dannylot (Post 3618148)

michiganadam 04-10-2013 08:39 AM

I mostly concern myself with real damage . Big huge dents. Thus the suggestion for rock sliders...just so you know.

My biggest problem is where to offroad....

Miser 04-10-2013 08:44 AM

There are all different types of off highway runs and enjoyment.
Some take them out and rock crawl and beat the hell out of them.
Some go mudding.
Some take them and literally make new roads, while going through brush and scratch the hell out of them.
Others like myself take them back in the woods and do some light rock crawl, dirt roads back to the lakes and enjoy the scenery. Mine will get covered in dirt, but will never see a scratch, because like you when I spend $37,000 for a Wrangler, I want to have fun with it, but I also want to keep it looking like new.
You can take your pick of the above options and enjoy your ride..........

Lucy Brown 04-10-2013 08:46 AM

I don't blame you. These things aren't cheap and if you're like me, a person that enjoys keeping their vehicle extremely clean and minty it's tough to risk damaging your new Jeep. Consider waiting for the new factor to wear off. If you're like me it probably wont but it might make it easier for you to finally go wheeling and be able to accept the fact that you may damage your Jeep. I've got over 40k in mine. Not to willing to damage it yet.

Senior Chief 04-10-2013 08:57 AM

I'm hoping to do some "manageable" trails this year. Like you, I've always been anal about my cars and bikes.

FWIW my last mod before doing any offload will be rails.

Enjoy!

Flynn 04-10-2013 08:59 AM

Where are you located? By me, the power line trails are open, wide enough for a jeep. Not too crazy, not too insane, a nice mix.

rustynail11 04-10-2013 09:01 AM

I just bought my first Jeep 2 weeks ago and was having the same concerns because it is my daily commuter as well. I got over it quickly and within in an hour of having it home I had it going down a mud trail near my house. I don't plan on doing any heavy off road but will be hitting some of the rails on a fairly regular basis.

kurtz265 04-10-2013 09:01 AM

Ace sliders will do wonders, they take 90% of the serious shots. Pin striping will always be a concern if you are in the woods and/or tight trails- some colors hide the scratches better than others.

michiganadam 04-10-2013 09:01 AM

Dont wait to do mods to offroad it!!! It can handle it!!

If i ever tear mine up it might turn into a cj7!

Senior Chief 04-10-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kurtz265 (Post 3618544)
Ace sliders will do wonders, they take 90% of the serious shots. Pin striping will always be a concern if you are in the woods and/or tight trails- some colors hide the scratches better than others.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Ace sliders...

Jared66 04-10-2013 09:06 AM

Armor it up, acratches and sings will happen if you go into the bush. But they will depend on your driving. Develop your spacial awareness. Know where you are and what's around you at all times. Go slow, take your time. Use your brain. Use your common sense. And you will limit any damage you may get. Carry a chain saw if you don't want branches touching your mall crawler. Lol. Just Buggin ya.

Goofyjumper 04-10-2013 09:17 AM

You might want to consider buying a Rav4 instead..... Then you won't have the urge to off road it. :hide:

twarner776 04-10-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senior Chief (Post 3618548)
I've heard nothing but good things about the Ace sliders...

I love my ace sliders as well, but the powder coat wont last. If i knew then what I know now I would have gotten bare metal and have line-x put on. 4 trips so far and I bet the end of summer they will be pulled off and sprayed. just my .02

michiganadam 04-10-2013 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynn (Post 3618535)
Where are you located? By me, the power line trails are open, wide enough for a jeep. Not too crazy, not too insane, a nice mix.

That sounds like fun. Im in st joseph michigan. Dont know about our power line trails but i could try it.

We also have a trail along the railroad tracks (a safe distance from trains) that i forgot about.

rhen74 04-10-2013 09:43 AM

I've always been real anal my vehicles, so this "don't worry about scratches" is new to me. I knew what I was getting into, buying a Jeep. My mindset has to change so I'm taking my '13 to an offroad park this weekend. Got the first time jitters. They have 5 levels of trails, so I'll be able to take baby steps.

I'm still wrestling with the belief that I need to detail it before I make the trip. What is wrong with me? :banghead:

baytownbert 04-10-2013 10:21 AM

If there is a Jeep Jamboree anywhere near you, sign up. They have most levels of off-roading, but nothing like Moab. You can learn a lot about Jeeping off-road at one.

live_slow 04-10-2013 10:25 AM

I'll share a few things from my personal experience.

- For offroading, find a local Jeep club and get to know some people
- They will / should take you on a ride at some point that fits your own and your vehicle's ability. "New member rides" or similar.

If by some chance, you show up to a ride and everyone has trailered in frankenstien jeeps on 37s and 40s, V8 swaps, axles from a dumptruck, etc. Don't follow 'em :-P

cnhmatthews 04-10-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3618594)
That sounds like fun. Im in st joseph michigan. Dont know about our power line trails but i could try it.

We also have a trail along the railroad tracks (a safe distance from trains) that i forgot about.

Head north to Silver Lake and hit the sand dunes. If you're unsure what your Jeep is capable of, do one of the guided Jeep rentals. You'll see how easy it is to fly up some pretty tall dunes you thought were impossible...an in a rental stock JK at that. Plenty of wide open space to stay away from branches.

onetraveller 04-10-2013 12:04 PM

MichiganAdam,
I grew up in Lansing and my family is still there.

There are literally hundreds of miles of trails in Michigan, starting with the national forests. Huron and Manistee forests are littered with old logging roads that you can drive. The UP is a great place to go for a multi-day offroad trip.

Stop by and see the guys at Zone Off road in Coldwater.

Quality Offroad products factory direct | Zone Offroad Products

Here are a couple other options.

Michigan Off Roading at Bundy Hill Off Road Park - Jerome, MI (4x4, OHV, ORV, ATV, Quad, Motorcycle, Jeep)

Manistee Off Road Park, Off Road Trails, Rock Crawling, Camping, 4 Wheeling, Dog Party, Copemish, Benzie, Beulah, Honor, Traverse City, Northern Michigan

Good luck and enjoy.

Mike

OffRoadCam09 04-10-2013 12:20 PM

There are goin to be scratches no matter the vehicle. Rocks will sling up an cause a few knicks an tree branches are bound to run along your jeep when offroading. Those things you will just have to adjust for. No body damage is a different story, just stick to very light trails, do research on where your goin, check the difficulty an if your not comfortable dont do that trail. Also you can take it easy off road, go slower then normal if you'd like an take your time in general it'll keep you from messing anything up for the most part

COStrider 04-10-2013 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miser
There are all different types of off highway runs and enjoyment.
Some take them out and rock crawl and beat the hell out of them.
Some go mudding.
Some take them and literally make new roads, while going through brush and scratch the hell out of them.
Others like myself take them back in the woods and do some light rock crawl, dirt roads back to the lakes and enjoy the scenery. Mine will get covered in dirt, but will never see a scratch, because like you when I spend $37,000 for a Wrangler, I want to have fun with it, but I also want to keep it looking like new.
You can take your pick of the above options and enjoy your ride..........

When you go out on a back road you will get scratches/dings/chips. This will also happen from street driving. It's inevitable. Rocks, sand, sticks, kick up from on road driving especially from big rigs and unless you go 2 mph in low range on a fire road you WILL kick up a rock that will contact your jeeps painted surface(s).

Life is short. Loosen up!!! Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff!

There will always be a brand new jeep on a sales lot if you need a mint condition one!

COStrider 04-10-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared66
Armor it up, acratches and sings will happen if you go into the bush. But they will depend on your driving. Develop your spacial awareness. Know where you are and what's around you at all times. Go slow, take your time. Use your brain. Use your common sense. And you will limit any damage you may get. Carry a chain saw if you don't want branches touching your mall crawler. Lol. Just Buggin ya.

Yup. And it'll buff out!

COStrider 04-10-2013 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnhmatthews

Head north to Silver Lake and hit the sand dunes. If you're unsure what your Jeep is capable of, do one of the guided Jeep rentals. You'll see how easy it is to fly up some pretty tall dunes you thought were impossible...an in a rental stock JK at that. Plenty of wide open space to stay away from branches.

Oooooww^^^ this gave me an idea. Just rent a jeep when you go offroad! Problem solved :)

baytownbert 04-10-2013 12:37 PM

I had a new top put on my TJ and the next day a stick punched a hole through it. I was sick. I took it to the local trim shop and the guy fixed it where it was barely noticable.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...-Matagorda.jpg