Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   TJ Tech Forum (
-   -   Lurching and stalling... (

BigDaddyAt 04-10-2013 01:29 PM

Lurching and stalling...
So, part of the theory in buying my 2000 TJ Sport last fall was to learn a bit about vehicles (well, learn everything really), and how to work on them. I've been noticing a few issues the last couple of weeks, and am looking at where to start for solutions.

1. She delays in shifting on the lower gears a bit. Seems to get better as she runs longer.
2. Sometimes while sitting at a light, she tried to lurch forward against the brake. No idea what causes that.
3. A couple of times she has stalled herself out at a light. It really feels like it is related to the lurching issue.

Anybody experienced similar issues? What was the result?

Dextreme 04-10-2013 01:44 PM

Auto Tranny?

Wheel2Work 04-11-2013 12:38 AM

Clean the throttle body and IAC. That should help with the surge while sitting at idle.

projecttj97 04-11-2013 05:44 PM

If it's an auto i've seen torque converters lock up at lights and coming to a stop and cause lurching and stalling.

1979WagoneerLTD 04-11-2013 08:43 PM

My 01 auto started a similar symptom where the jeep would shudder and sometimes stall when shifting from park into drive. Would behave like a manual tranny when the clutch would be engaged quickly, killing the engine.

In my case, the TCC was not being commanded "on" by the PCM; swapped a known good converter and the problem stopped.

BigDaddyAt 04-12-2013 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 3619603)
Auto Tranny?

Yeah it's an auto. I'll have to start looking into some of these things to see if I can get it to improve...