Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Rough country is the way to go! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/rough-country-is-the-way-to-go-23440.html)

carwashben 11-25-2008 08:44 AM

Rough country is the way to go!

I got a rough country 4" suspension lift on my 1999 sahara and i love it! Everything ini the kit has been wonderful and their staff is great. They were more help than imaginable. I was greatly pleased with my steering stabilizer as well. In my opinion, i wouldnt hesitate, go with rough country.:punk:

jeeperman 11-25-2008 09:09 AM

I think that you are the first person that I have heard of that has been truly happy with their Rough Country kit. Most feel that it lives up to its name and rides very rough on road and off.

jp'rs_peep'rs 11-25-2008 10:27 AM

Glad to hear it!

C.

erickpl 11-25-2008 10:38 AM

How many miles so far? If it was recently installed (less than a month or two), get back to us in 10000 miles or so and let us know how it is going with on AND offroad driving.

The measure of a lift, to me, is not how it is for the first few weeks or so after it is installed, but how it holds up after several years of use.

DUCKIT 11-25-2008 11:07 AM

If you take it off road ......let us know how the lift is doing in about 6 month to a year ...........hope everything work out for you

GrnTJ 11-25-2008 11:20 AM

X2 to what everyone else has said. Glad your enjoying it now but report back in a few more months and let us know after its been used a bit. Good luck and I hope it holds up for you!

Jerry Bransford 11-25-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeeperman (Post 286164)
I think that you are the first person that I have heard of that has been truly happy with their Rough Country kit. Most feel that it lives up to its name and rides very rough on road and off.

From what I have read from a Rough Country rep in another forum, they have recently taken comments like those to heart and re-engineered their shocks so their suspension may no longer be so darned stiff riding.

It sounds like carwashben's comments may be evidence of that having happened. :)

GrnTJ 11-25-2008 12:05 PM

Their new 2.2 shock does look decent but until I see a few more positive reviews I think Im still gonna be a bit sceptical of Rough Country.

Scout 11-25-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 286203)
From what I have read from a Rough Country rep in another forum, they have recently taken comments like those to heart and re-engineered their shocks so their suspension may no longer be so darned stiff riding.

It sounds like carwashben's comments may be evidence of that having happened. :)

Are the shocks the only thing they've improved? From my experience with Rough Country just about exerything in their 4" kit was junk. :)

Jerry Bransford 11-25-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scout (Post 286207)
Are the shocks the only thing they've improved? From my experience with Rough Country just about exerything in their 4" kit was junk. :)

That I can't say. Most of the comments and my comment was about Rough Country's ride quality. :)

GrnTJ 11-25-2008 12:36 PM

I think their springs sagged pretty bad as well so i hope they tryed to fix that problem at the same time. If they did indeed fix that and these new shocks are pretty good then I think they might start to produce a little different reputation over time.

Scout 11-25-2008 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 286210)
That I can't say. Most of the comments and my comment was about Rough Country's ride quality. :)

Shocks aren't the only thing that affects the ride. :)

Jerry Bransford 11-25-2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scout (Post 286214)
Shocks aren't the only thing that affects the ride. :)

Thank you for that Captain Obvious but shocks do have a huge effect on the ride. ;)

tarheel 11-25-2008 01:32 PM

Since Scout's sig say he wheels naked, he just might be a little more sensitive about the ride than the rest of us:D

Scout 11-25-2008 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 286219)
Thank you for that Captain Obvious but shocks do have a huge effect on the ride. ;)

You don't say? It's good to know that I can go out and buy a suspension with poor quality coil springs and pair it up with some re-engineered shocks and Iíll be good-to-go. Happy trails to all! :)

Jerry Bransford 11-25-2008 01:39 PM

Whatever Scout, but I didn't say that ONLY the shocks affect the ride... what I said was "shocks have a huge effect on the ride".

Scout 11-25-2008 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 286224)
Whatever Scout, but I didn't say that ONLY the shocks affect the ride... what I said was "shocks have a huge effect on the ride".

Thanks for the clarification. All I said was "Shocks aren't the only thing that affects the ride.". :wavey:

KellyK 11-25-2008 08:42 PM

Watch what you say about RC lifts... i said that they ride exactly as advertised "ROUGH" and then i got this in my PM box.... i guess they get a lil pissy

I have sold many Rough Country lifts for the TJ's and I have yet had anyone complain about them riding "ROUGH".

KellyK... you should come by sometime and check out just how cool and complete these Rough Country kits are. That way when you give your opinion it will be an educated one.

orange05tj 11-25-2008 08:44 PM

who sent that?

KellyK 11-25-2008 08:47 PM

I am by no means trying to flame anyone but the wonderfull pm i got was sent from 4WheelingPlus

tiny terror 11-25-2008 09:14 PM

There's nothing wrong with stating opinions, either publicly as a post or privately in a pm, but publicly lets us all know you believe them.

Scout 11-25-2008 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellyK (Post 286324)
I am by no means trying to flame anyone but the wonderfull pm i got was sent from 4WheelingPlus

On this forum?

ljrubitm 11-25-2008 09:21 PM

OK, let me see if I could shead some light on this. I bought a 06 Rubi LJ
in Dec, 06 . Three months later I installed RC 4'' lift. The jeep now has some 49k miles on it. On road driveing, fine no problems. Offroad, handles great. Never had a problem with the lift. This is my DD - Offroader.
At this time the shocks need to be changed, not because they suck they'er
getting sorn out.

And NO I do not work for RC.

ExDementia 11-25-2008 09:24 PM

:hijacked:I don't mean to hijack this thread but I don't want to make a whole new thread for it while were on the subject of the quality of lift kits.

I bought my TJ with a 4" Skyjacker lift already installed, it rides fine (the original owners put Rancho shocks on) but I can't help but think that I don't have as much clearance over my tires as others that I have seen with a 4" lift and 33's. ( I might just be used to the 7" lift I had on my 97:confused:)Are the Skyjacker lifts known for sagging coils? How much are new coils?:redface:

Scout 11-25-2008 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ljrubitm (Post 286334)
OK, let me see if I could shead some light on this. I bought a 06 Rubi LJ
in Dec, 06 . Three months later I installed RC 4'' lift. The jeep now has some 49k miles on it. On road driveing, fine no problems. Offroad, handles great. Never had a problem with the lift. This is my DD - Offroader.
At this time the shocks need to be changed, not because they suck they'er
getting sorn out.

And NO I do not work for RC.

You're one of the few I heard of that is actually satisfied with their product. My personal experience with what they call a suspension was much less favorable than yours.

KellyK 11-25-2008 09:44 PM

yeah scout on this forum. I have tried to do as much homework on my own so i am not relying on any one persons opinion and the mojority of the people dislike the RC product.
So i stated in a post that from what i have learned rough country lifts are just as advertised... "ROUGH" and then i get that pm. I was a little suprised that the educated opinion was included.

Last i checked it was a free country ... untill obama gets in office.. but till then i can say what i want as an opinion...lol

Really though. I made the comment on a basis of the majority of people that have purchased them.
I thought about it after i had already replied....
If you bought a lift somewhere and it was way below par to your personal standards... would you go back to them? or find a different shop.

GrnTJ 11-26-2008 12:23 AM

I like how they single out one person and send that pm to just you. I personally have more than one friend who has run a RC lift at one point or another, thus I have ridin in and drove more than one vehicle with their product...every time it has had a "ROUGH!!!" ride. To whom ever you are that wants to send pm's to people about sharing their opinion, man up and say it on the thread. No point in getting angry at one person. But know this, I have personally drivin and ridin in vehicles with RC lifts and they have had the shittiest ride/performance of any other lifted vehicle I have drivin (and that has been many!). So no offense to RC but your old stuff was crap. I really do hope your new lifts have been designed differently to address these problems and you can start to make a solid reputation for yourselves.

Triple88a 11-26-2008 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KellyK (Post 286320)
Watch what you say about RC lifts... i said that they ride exactly as advertised "ROUGH" and then i got this in my PM box.... i guess they get a lil pissy

They say it rides rough?Nooooonononoooo they say they ride "super smooth".

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rough Countrys website
The Rough Country Hydraulic 8000 series shock absorbers incorporate self adjusting "Velocity Sensitive Valving".This revolutionary technology varies the resistance valving incorporated in the shock according to piston rod speed. This allows for a super smooth highway ride and outstanding control in rugged off road situations from the same shock, without turning any knobs or shock removal for re-adjustment.

my opinion about their shocks? they suck.. they ride very hard and and complete crap quality. the rears were thumping since the pins they supply are too small so you have to buy bar pin eliminators, the paint.. well after 6 months, mine were rusted, on turns.. even though they are very hard, they leaned a lot so they couldn't support the excess weight of the rig under turning.

Next, their coils.. mine sagged at least an inch about 6 months after installation with NO offroading at all. Currently i have 4 new rough country coils in my closet that they supplied to me when they tried to make it up to me..
Next, how about the
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rough Countrys website
Rough Country introduces a solution to a common problem with all lifted TJ Jeeps. The problem is rear spring fatigue created by torque during acceleration....

how nice that my rig is unleveled because they spent all their time fixing the passenger coil while the drivers coil is complete junk and sagged in no time like the fronts.

how about their control arms that "allow superior articulation"? yeah superior eh? take your middle finger and pull it straight back until it toches your wrist or your hear it crack.:rolleyes:.. does it bend well? so do their bushings :) I have a new set of those at home too since it "must have been a bad batch of bushings". Same crap as the other ones.

as the rest of the brackets they supply.. the paint fell off when installing it and is currently drenched in rust..

I'm pretty sure there is more that i am forgetting. Now you ask me, why such a bad review? because their false advertising got me to buy this hunk o junk in the first place. Their new kit might be better, i dont know but i doubt it. Me getting an email because of my bad review will make me laugh even more. Instead of sending me an email how about you send me the kit that fits the description of your advertisements?

MoA 11-26-2008 02:01 AM

i love the single post comments made to back up RC lifts..

RC sucks.. heck so does procomp while we are at it =D

orange05tj 11-26-2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoA (Post 286418)
i love the single post comments made to back up RC lifts..

RC sucks.. heck so does procomp while we are at it =D

I have to agree 100% on that! under 5k miles on them junk tires and they were shot!