Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Less than 24 hours and back to dealer (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/less-than-24-hours-and-back-to-dealer-234669.html)

Kiddmen57 04-11-2013 05:39 PM

Less than 24 hours and back to dealer

Maybe I shouldn't have joked that the Jeep hadn't broken down yet....

Picked it up at 5 yesterday. Left work at 2:45 to start some mods and she would barely move. Limped it home 2.5 miles to discover the tranny line disconnected from the cooler. Awesome.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s4c0d894b.jpeg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...s6804a0ef.jpeg

NFRs2000NYC 04-11-2013 05:42 PM

Damn, someone was snoozing at the factory. Unfortunate, you would never see anything like this on a Lexus (or a Honda/Toyota for that matter.) When I say "its a jeep thing" I mean something else.....I love the wrangler, but unfortunately, it's manufactured by chrysler, so isn't very good at much. That's the price we have to pay for wanting this vehicle. :( I expect the dealer will sort this out ASAP. Have it washed thoroughly (on their time) so the fluid doesn't eat any coating.

legitposter 04-11-2013 05:43 PM

That's insane...

Sadly, the dealer will only fix their mistake but won't compensate you for the long-term damage it may have caused.

greech 04-11-2013 06:31 PM

Does your state have a "return within 72 hours" law, or similar? Might be worth looking into....

Old Dogger 04-11-2013 06:40 PM

That's workmanship and quality control at it's worst!!!!!!!!!!
That really su-ks..............................

bvanfossen 04-11-2013 06:41 PM

Get advice from a trans shop. May want to return it. Idk. Like the previous statement. No tranny fluid for a few miles would make me worry about long term affects

Jeeps_and_Boats 04-11-2013 06:55 PM

How the heck could that happen. They drive the car around a bit at the factory and at the dealer before you got it. Must have been tight enough to last a bit, then fall off on you.

I would have thought the line would be a yes/no as it relates to the connection.

Bummer.

dale 3 04-11-2013 06:57 PM

I would get under that......get a center punch make a pattern with the punch on the tranny somewhere that you remember then demand a new tranny.I would leave it their until fixed.When fixed make sure your center punch marks aren't their.Friggen terrible!

Mugenfred 04-11-2013 07:18 PM

Tell them u want a different one

1santaever 04-11-2013 07:31 PM

i would raise heck that would get me fired if i put that out the door at the dealer ship i work at and i just detail them lol

Kiddmen57 04-11-2013 07:39 PM

So far the dealer is being very responsive. Service manager acknowledged the tranny might be effed and would be thoroughly inspected/ replaced if needed. We shall see. No 72 hour law in Az, only lemmon law that requires 4 failed attempts at the same issue or 30 days in repair. I just want my Jeep!

I don't get how I drove it 35 miles home yesterday, to work and lunch today, then decides to dump on the drive home.

chris4x4 04-11-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiddmen57 (Post 3625509)
So far the dealer is being very responsive. Service manager acknowledged the tranny might be effed and would be thoroughly inspected/ replaced if needed. We shall see. No 72 hour law in Az, only lemmon law that requires 4 failed attempts at the same issue or 30 days in repair. I just want my Jeep!

I don't get how I drove it 35 miles home yesterday, to work and lunch today, then decides to dump on the drive home.

What dealer did you get it from?

BeanieAZ 04-11-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris4x4 (Post 3625932)
What dealer did you get it from?

This. ^^^

Crushed 04-11-2013 09:12 PM

Wow. Sorry for the misfortune man.

Dusthol 04-11-2013 09:19 PM

Marking its territory.

dale 3 04-11-2013 09:47 PM

Your not even suppose to run fluids low nevermind almost out when new.They will probably fill it and if it shifts fine you'll own it.If you still own vehicle when warranty runs out who's going to pay when the tranny is toast? That tranny would be replaced now,but it's your vehicle.Good luck.

Old Dogger 04-11-2013 10:40 PM

I had a junk 2012 Rubicon with all kinds of problems. I sold it and purchased a 2013 and have not had a issue with it.
I'm convinced that it has to do with the time of day that they are assembled.
I have seen on television more than once movies taken of these union auto workers making approx. $78.00 per hour and that includes fringe benefits. So what do they have for lunch drugs and alcohol. They interviewed one of these workers on 60 minutes, but of coarse they didn't show his face and his response was that the Union will protect him so he will continue to do it.
With that being said, then I am convinced that my 2013 was assembled in the morning, before lunch drug alcohol time. I believe that my 2012 and maybe yours were assembled after lunch. This is just my opinion and I think that it definitely has some validity!!!

JeeperJake 04-11-2013 10:45 PM

any chance someone where you parked have some kind of issue???

dpostman 04-12-2013 12:27 PM

I believe the reasonable thing for the steelership to do is check and clean it all up, make sure everything is running properly. If not, replace transmisson. If all seems OK, they should offer to extend the warranty on any transmission related issues that may pop up down the road.

Maybe a free jacket or some other freebie just for the shame of it hapening.

dp

Fitchottie 04-12-2013 12:38 PM

I would ask that the dealership and Chrysler, offer you the life time powertrain warranty free of charge. which is normally 1500-2000, but that is our cost not theirs. Make sure the tranny is working as it should and you should be good to go. The hardball tactic won't work since you are at their mercy. Just some free advice.

Miser 04-12-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dogger (Post 3626319)
I had a junk 2012 Rubicon with all kinds of problems. I sold it and purchased a 2013 and have not had a issue with it.
I'm convinced that it has to do with the time of day that they are assembled.
I have seen on television more than once movies taken of these union auto workers making approx. $78.00 per hour and that includes fringe benefits. So what do they have for lunch drugs and alcohol. They interviewed one of these workers on 60 minutes, but of coarse they didn't show his face and his response was that the Union will protect him so he will continue to do it.
With that being said, then I am convinced that my 2013 was assembled in the morning, before lunch drug alcohol time. I believe that my 2012 and maybe yours were assembled after lunch. This is just my opinion and I think that it definitely has some validity!!!

I think that you just hit the nail right on the head, when you mentioned union workers and Drugs and Alcohol for lunch! I also have seen this more than once on the evening news! WOW, IT'S A WONDER THAT THEY CAN EVEN STAND UP WHEN THE GO BACK TO WORK......:nonono:

TOK 04-12-2013 01:20 PM

There is no way I'd ever be comfortable with either scenario here... Either they put fluid in it and you hope it doesn't crap out prematurely, or they basically pull apart your 1 day old vehicle for a replacement. How much are they going to mess up or leave off it in the process? Sorry, I don't have a ton of faith in mechanics.

I'd ask to pick another similarly equipped Jeep off the lot.

Silverton34 04-12-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dale 3 (Post 3626180)
Your not even suppose to run fluids low nevermind almost out when new.They will probably fill it and if it shifts fine you'll own it.If you still own vehicle when warranty runs out who's going to pay when the tranny is toast? That tranny would be replaced now,but it's your vehicle.Good luck.

This is EXACTLY what will happen. That trans is now nothing more than a boat anchor long term. I'll bet Chrysler gives him a tube of lube along with that compromised trans. :nonono:

nknacd 04-12-2013 01:25 PM

must have happened after a UAW beer break

ohioviper 04-12-2013 01:50 PM

This same thing happened to my brother on a 2000 Sahara he bought brand new.The trip home it stopped shifting and he called dealer . They towed it in and he called me.Told him to demand a new transmission or a complete lifetime warranty no deductible no questions asked if tranny failed or had issues they would replace it. They filled it with fluid and put a lifetime warranty in writing and he had the owner sign it .
He never had any issues with it after that but it was always in the back of his mind it would fail someday and leave him stranded so he traded it off after couple years.

I would demand a new transmission or a new Jeep.

RoadiJeff 04-13-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dogger (Post 3626319)
I have seen on television more than once movies taken of these union auto workers making approx. $78.00 per hour and that includes fringe benefits. So what do they have for lunch drugs and alcohol.

Such stereotyping.

I was with the UAW for 25 years. Not only did I not make anywhere close to $78/hr (not even half that and I had the highest hourly rate job in the UAW - electrician) but I only saw two instances of people reporting for work or coming back from lunch under the influence of something in all those years.

Perhaps you need to do a bit more research and get your facts straight.

To the OP, if they don't replace the transmission demand a free lifetime powertrain warranty.

Old Dogger 04-13-2013 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff (Post 3630373)
Such stereotyping.

I was with the UAW for 25 years. Not only did I not make anywhere close to $78/hr (not even half that and I had the highest hourly rate job in the UAW - electrician) but I only saw two instances of people reporting for work or coming back from lunch under the influence of something in all those years.

Perhaps you need to do a bit more research and get your facts straight.

To the OP, if they don't replace the transmission demand a free lifetime powertrain warranty.

UAW for 25 years, WOW, that's something to really be proud of!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl ::nonono:
You are the MAN.............................
PS, you need to put your glasses on, my comment was $78.00 per hour INCLUDING FRINGE BENIFITS!!!

Miser 04-13-2013 01:44 AM

O.K., what I remember seeing on the news, when the auto industry was in trouble was shocking to me. They showed that the average USA auto worker with benefits was making seventy some dollars per hour and in Japan they were making with benefits forty some dollars per hour. I don't remember the exact amount, but that is close. They were trying to show that it would be impossible to be competitive, because of such a wage difference.
They also showed that the USA Company's had way to many layers of management also driving up their internal costs.

Drmad7 04-13-2013 03:49 AM

Wow! I was checking on the OPs problem and ran into an anti-American Union thread. Unless you are a sole proprietorship, I can guarantee if we did a background check on your co-workers, there will be some slackers and/or drug addicts and alcoholics. Union and non-union. And some of them work for Lexus, Toyota, AND Honda. I have had two Wrangler JKs and they have been awesome and pretty much trouble free. No complaints. But apparently I was lucky and they were built by the few folks at UAW who do good work.

OP, look at the responses and go with your gut. The idea of replacing the vehicle is probably out of the question, but an extended warranty seems fair enough. Its the least the dealership can do and if there are any issues, the dealership gets reimbursed for the work by Chrysler anyway... Who let the Jeep leave the factory subpar anyway.

heinzbean 04-13-2013 04:12 AM

Maybe Chrysler would be better selling these jeeps as kits at least we could put them together properly.

Or if they set the odometer at 100,000 when it comes out of the factory because that's what a new wrangler behaves like.
Although mine is behaving itself lately.