Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

Look what I woke up to this morning!

8K views 52 replies 43 participants last post by  monkeee2002 
#1 ·
So, this morning at 5:30 my apartment doorbell starting ringing. When I went outside, my next door neighbor told me that my girlfriend's Jeep just tried to drive through her porch.

Turns out a Mitsubishi Eclipse's e-brake had failed and it rolled about 50 yards down a hill, ran into the back of the Jeep, which pushed it over two parking curbs and a drop off at the edge of the parking lot and rested teetering on a concrete wall and our neighbor's porch.

Needless to say that it has been an interesting day. I found damage to the grill, hood, tailgate, tire carrier and step bars. The kicker is that it was resting on the oil pan on that concrete wall and it was kinda flattened out and the front of the trans bellhousing was a little scuffed up.

It's now at the shop and were waiting to hear back from the Eclipse's insurance company as to weather or not they will want to repair it or not.

First time that I have tried to post any pictures. Let me know if they don't go through.

See less See more
#5 ·
That sucks. I hope she gets it fixed up. I remember years ago there was a bunch of punks in MD breaking into Jeeps to release the parking brakes. One Jeep rolled down a hill and collapsed a wall at an apartment killing the woman sleeping on the other side. They caught the people responsible.

Police seeking teen in fatal Jeep crash - Baltimore Sun

#8 ·
"By reading this link you have increased your hate for humanity by 5!"

#7 ·
I would expect nothing but the owner of the Eclipse to cover the damages. Hope ya don't have to fight for your money.

#16 ·
Hey guys,

I didn't get a picture of the hill, but it was very steep. I think the car could have picked up quite a lot of momentum considering the distance it traveled.

Also, her emergency brake was engaged, but it wasn't in gear. I'm getting a little bit of a I told you so out of this because I always tell her to leave it in gear, but she usually doesn't when she parks up against a parking curb.

The Eclipse's insurance is with State Farm and so far, they have been very helpful and cooperative. They have even already gotten her a rental car.

We've been in touch with the shop that the Jeep is at and they should be through with their estimated quote today. According to the woman at their front office, if the repair is going to be over 60% of the total NADA value of the vehicle, State Farm will most likely want to salvage it. The woman then told us that she wasn't allowed by the insurance company to use the word "totaled", but we shouldn't be waiting on good news.

This doesn't sit right with me for several reasons, but the main one is the NADA value is roughly $6,300. If I go onto the Atlanta craigslist and search 1997 Wrangler, there are only 2 that are at or below this price out of the 25 results. Furthermore, both of those are SE 4 cylinders that are in nowhere near as good condition as her Sport 6 cylinder with A/C and a custom paint job. So, negotiations may get hot on this one. I've heard of folks negotiating being able to keep the vehicle before it gets a "salvage" title and I would like to do this if it's possible, but we will see.

Here is a picture of her winning a "Most Unique" award at a local car show only 2 weeks ago. She is very proud of Jeep and is not enjoying her Chevy Malibu rental car at all. Please keep your comments tasteful.

#18 ·
Hey guys,

I didn't get a picture of the hill, but it was very steep. I think the car could have picked up quite a lot of momentum considering the distance it traveled.

Also, her emergency brake was engaged, but it wasn't in gear. I'm getting a little bit of a I told you so out of this because I always tell her to leave it in gear, but she usually doesn't when she parks up against a parking curb.

The Eclipse's insurance is with State Farm and so far, they have been very helpful and cooperative. They have even already gotten her a rental car.

We've been in touch with the shop that the Jeep is at and they should be through with their estimated quote today. According to the woman at their front office, if the repair is going to be over 60% of the total NADA value of the vehicle, State Farm will most likely want to salvage it. The woman then told us that she wasn't allowed by the insurance company to use the word "totaled", but we shouldn't be waiting on good news.

This doesn't sit right with me for several reasons, but the main one is the NADA value is roughly $6,300. If I go onto the Atlanta craigslist and search 1997 Wrangler, there are only 2 that are at or below this price out of the 25 results. Furthermore, both of those are SE 4 cylinders that are in nowhere near as good condition as her Sport 6 cylinder with A/C and a custom paint job. So, negotiations may get hot on this one. I've heard of folks negotiating being able to keep the vehicle before it gets a "salvage" title and I would like to do this if it's possible, but we will see.

Here is a picture of her winning a "Most Unique" award at a local car show only 2 weeks ago. She is very proud of Jeep and is not enjoying her Chevy Malibu rental car at all. Please keep your comments tasteful.

------
Use this picture and that trophy in negotiations. I am sure a good lawyer (if necessary) could get an increased value for sentimental reasons and your girl will now have emotional damage.

Just discuss with them that you are considering a lawyer and watch the value jump.

Negotiate with State Farm.

Depending on state law, your girlfriend may be entitled to replacement value not KBB. Another idea would be to make them write her a check for replacement value and your girl friend keeps the damaged Wrangler.

The other driver was at fault. Her insurance pays so she is not inconvenienced.

#25 ·
Just wait until you have USAA.

#29 ·
Absolutely the best. At my age I'm quoted 2x as much with any other company. Note to mention, their banking and everything is first rate. Get on her policy.

#31 ·
U always park w the car in gear!!!!(give her the "I told u so") U can't always rely on the e brake. I thought my ex-wife was the only nut that parked w the car in neutral.... It's not smart and had the other person not hit her car; at some point, her jeep could have been the one rolling down the hill and smacking someone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.