Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   New Soft Top (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/new-soft-top-234747.html)

muddy05tj 04-11-2013 11:50 PM

New Soft Top

Well my back zipper finally bit the bullet and now i need to replace the top :banghead: does anyone have any suggestions and pictures on new tops? I wont need all the hardware cause mines still good... some ones I was looking at was maybe the rampage frameless, the quadratop, or a smittybilt replacement thanks in advance

Squid90 04-12-2013 06:53 AM

I've heard nothing but good things about the bestop trektop nx. Same frameless look as the rampage but it includes everything needed in one package for around $500. What I will be getting this summer to get my hard top off.

kcollins 04-12-2013 07:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just bought a Smittybilt soft top w/tinted windows for $220.00 w/free shipping off ebay. Didn't come with the hardware but didn't need it since the hardware was already on the jeep.

For the money it looks really good and so far I'm happy with it, time will tell if it was a good purchase or not.

One thing about this that was difficult was the installation. Did eventually get it on though.

I did however have to replace the (16) screws that holds the top in place on the plastic piece up front, if that makes any sense to you...

They were rusted so I picked up 2 packs of (14) screws from lowes (same tread size) for $1 something. Gave the left over to my buddy at work since he told me that he is replacing the top on his jeep in July.

Hess_Cat 04-12-2013 07:57 AM

I just bout a new Bestop Supertop. Hardware and all. It's been 4 months and Im happy, but I do wonder what the cheaper ones would be like.

Jaxon1023 04-12-2013 08:11 AM

Bought a quadratop last week from quadratec for 339 shipped. Love it so far.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...894F452930.jpg

Zurn 04-12-2013 08:27 AM

http://www.wranglerforum.com/attachm...9/img_0056.jpg

I'd say my Quadratop is holding up well.

Morris4x4Center 04-12-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddy05tj (Post 3626572)
Well my back zipper finally bit the bullet and now i need to replace the top :banghead: does anyone have any suggestions and pictures on new tops? I wont need all the hardware cause mines still good... some ones I was looking at was maybe the rampage frameless, the quadratop, or a smittybilt replacement thanks in advance

Bestop Makes Replace-A-Tops
Bestop Replace-A-Top? Jeep Soft Tops

XTRyan 04-12-2013 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddy05tj (Post 3626572)

Muddy05TJ,

The Bestop Replace-A-Top is exactly what you need. It's basically what you're running now considering that Bestop makes the OEM tops for Jeep. Another option for you is the Rugged Ridge Replacement Top. Both tops are available for rebates right now. Also, I can get you our Wrangler Forum Discount and free shipping on orders over $75.

Shoot me a PM with any questions, or to get the discount code.

-Zach

muddy05tj 04-12-2013 08:55 AM

Ugh still a hard decision ha cause now I got an offer to buy a hardtop for around the same price and that way I don't have to mess with the zippers again...

muddy05tj 04-12-2013 10:06 AM

Just making sure... does any year TJ hardtop fit any TJ... like will a 02 fit an 05

homebrwd 04-12-2013 10:23 AM

yes it should, my experience with Smittybilt is not good, my brother got his jeep with a brand new on on there and the back window zipper bit the bullet on the highway about 4 months later. I personally just went trek top NX but since you want to keep your hardware would recommend either the quadratop or the best top replace a top.

AKR17ATC 04-12-2013 11:03 AM

I am having this same dilemma! I just bought a jeep, and the bow assembly for the soft top that it came with is just dumb. :banghead: It was way more of a headache to get that thing back on last night that an OEM would take. I am looking at the trek top nx for teh sunrider feature as well as the safari feature and not having to deal with the frame.

Any of you that have it, any problems with it or quirks worth pointing out before I pull the trigger?

homebrwd 04-12-2013 11:29 AM

Make sure its warm and sunny when you install so it will stretch.

XTRyan 04-12-2013 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKR17ATC (Post 3627853)
I am having this same dilemma! I just bought a jeep, and the bow assembly for the soft top that it came with is just dumb. :banghead: It was way more of a headache to get that thing back on last night that an OEM would take. I am looking at the trek top nx for teh sunrider feature as well as the safari feature and not having to deal with the frame.

Any of you that have it, any problems with it or quirks worth pointing out before I pull the trigger?

The Trektop NX is an awesome top. I have one on my JK and I really like it. The Sunrider feature and the Safari Bikini option are worth every penny.

We carry them for all models of Jeeps and they qualify for our free shipping on orders over $75. We also offer a discount for Wrangler Forum Members, just shoot me a PM and I can hook you up with the code.

-Zach

AKR17ATC 04-12-2013 04:45 PM

homebrwd, any issues with the rear bar sliding out that I have been reading about? Also, how much of a pain is it to take the top all the way off? Honestly, it doesnt look like it would be that hard, but I have been ready a bunch of complaints about it!

zanewolfgang 04-12-2013 06:52 PM

I bought a Bestop replace a top and the top it self is very nice but the soft window uppers leak. It looks like you have full doors anyways so it doesnt matter. I will say, it seems a bit looser than the OME top but it isnt any louder and it is much easier to take off/on though.

ah110 04-13-2013 02:46 PM

I just picked up a quadratop from quadratec. Im hoping to get the hard top off in the next week so I'll repost after I get it on.

Jwolfer 04-13-2013 02:51 PM

If you have everything already go for the rampage frameless. I just got it and it is awesome so far.

http://i.imgur.com/P9BP2Vj.jpg

ah110 04-14-2013 06:07 PM

Just put on the quadratop. Looks very very nice. Fit is almost perfect. Might just need to stretch and set.

Mo Kirkwood 04-14-2013 06:48 PM

What ever you decide, get tinted windows. I bought a new top from Rugged Ridge last year with tinted windows and I like it. The zippers are a little tight but the top on a whole is OK. I have burried my TJ with mud and covers the side windows and they do scratch a little when I wash it. I just need to be more careful. I would stay away from Smittybult, for sure... I also have a bikini top by Bestop. I like it too. I did have some problems with their instructions but it didn't take much to figure out what to do. Later.

I might be old, but I ain't dead. Keep on wheelin

Drk5ide 04-14-2013 07:26 PM

I have a smittybilt on mine I hate it going to buy the rampage trail top. I should be ordering this week. I will write a review after I receive it.
Sailcloth
Rampage 109735 Trail Top Frameless/Bowless Sailcloth : Amazon.com : Automotive

NonSailcloth
Rampage 109535 Trail Top - Frameless/Bowless TJ : Amazon.com : Automotive
I am going with the sailcloth I think

ah110 04-14-2013 10:47 PM

quadratop

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...psf8f04eb2.jpg

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps3a82f816.jpg

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps2f9267cf.jpg

Neil F. 04-15-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddy05tj (Post 3627648)
Just making sure... does any year TJ hardtop fit any TJ... like will a 02 fit an 05

Yes 97-06 hard and soft tops will fit all years.

XTRyan 04-15-2013 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKR17ATC (Post 3628949)
homebrwd, any issues with the rear bar sliding out that I have been reading about? Also, how much of a pain is it to take the top all the way off? Honestly, it doesnt look like it would be that hard, but I have been ready a bunch of complaints about it!

It's a little bit hard to to remove than the factory top is, because it doesn't fold back. It's attached to the roll bar and door surrounds, so to remove it completely you have to basically remove the top from the Jeep.

Here is a copy of the Install Instructions to give you an idea of how to take the top on and off. The easiest thing for me when I wanted to have the top totally off was just to use the Sunrider feature and have the windows out.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll gladly help you out!

-Zach

homebrwd 04-15-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AKR17ATC (Post 3628949)

Full removal wouldn't be bad, its straps around the center roll bar and the ones that go down to the tub rail. Outside of that its just like removing any other top, unhitch from the header and remove j channels from the door surrounds. As far as the rear bar, they fixed that issue, there is a hook on each side that hold it in place.

lindel 04-15-2013 10:03 AM

Jeep Wrangler TJ Soft Tops | 1997-2006 Wrangler TJ Top | Softopper

muddy05tj 04-15-2013 11:14 AM

Does quadratec do any special forum deals like many of the other vendors??

muddy05tj 04-15-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jwolfer (Post 3632270)
If you have everything already go for the rampage frameless. I just got it and it is awesome so far.

How do you like this for quietness like does it flap or alot of road noise or anything on the highway

homebrwd 04-15-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddy05tj (Post 3639322)
Does quadratec do any special forum deals like many of the other vendors??

Send a PM to user quadratec and they should help you out.

Jad4271 04-15-2013 02:09 PM

Is the bestop Replace a Top in Sailcloth worth the extra cash?