Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Manual transmission fluid ? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/manual-transmission-fluid-23477.html)

itsmyblood 11-26-2008 01:04 PM

Manual transmission fluid ?

Dose any one no what type of manual transmission fluid to put in a 2000 tj. 4.0
in the owners manual it says 75w-90 for the 2.5L but the 4.0 says you can only use mopar manual tranny fluid. what would be the equevalent you could buy at the average parts store?

Jerry Bransford 11-26-2008 02:24 PM

Your 2000 TJ 4.0L has the NV3550 transmission which is fairly fussy about what it uses. For a non-synthetic, you can use GM Synchromesh, Pennzoil Synchromesh, or Quaker State Synchromesh. For a synthetic, Royal Purple Synchromax would be a good choice. :)

distortedtj 11-26-2008 02:25 PM

NV3550 - Used in all 6cyl manual wranglers from 2000 to 2003
* 5 speed manual
* 10 spline input
* 23 spline output
* Ratios:
1st - 4.01
2nd - 2.33
3rd - 1.39
4th - 1.00
5th - 0.78
Rev - 3.57

The fluid you are looking for is "schromesh" or the royal purples version, "schromax".

:wavey:

distortedtj 11-26-2008 02:26 PM

Jerry beat me to it again.

Jerry Bransford 11-26-2008 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 286518)
Jerry beat me to it again.

Well heck, I gave you an hour and 20 minutes from when he posted before I gave up waiting on you. ;) :D

distortedtj 11-26-2008 02:35 PM

I just logged on. ....geez so impatient jerry.:p

itsmyblood 11-26-2008 04:15 PM

Thank you guys very much. dose this question get asked often ?

itsmyblood 11-26-2008 04:17 PM

Oh yeah wich would you preferr ? i like synthetic motor oil.

Jerry Bransford 11-26-2008 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmyblood (Post 286540)
Oh yeah wich would you preferr ? i like synthetic motor oil.

Dd you miss the info in post #2 above by any chance? "For a synthetic, Royal Purple Synchromax would be a good choice. " :wavey:

itsmyblood 11-26-2008 04:28 PM

got that just didn't no if synth. would be better than traditional sence its fussy and all.

Jerry Bransford 11-26-2008 04:51 PM

Since you live where it gets uber-cold during the winter, I'd run a synthetic gear lube in your tranny and Royal Purple Synchromax would be a good choice. That synthetic lubricants work and flow better in transmissions and engines when it gets extremely cold is my reasoning for that recommendation. And by no means am I a fan of synthetics for all situations. I don't run synthetic engine oil (it doesn't get cold enough where I live) and I'm about to convert my axle gear lubes from a synthetic to a conventional gear lube. :)

Timberman 12-31-2008 04:46 PM

The manual says....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 286516)
Your 2000 TJ 4.0L has the NV3550 transmission which is fairly fussy about what it uses. For a non-synthetic, you can use GM Synchromesh, Pennzoil Synchromesh, or Quaker State Synchromesh. For a synthetic, Royal Purple Synchromax would be a good choice. :)

Jerry, I am in a pickle once again.. How funny; it usually begins and ends with the local Jeep dealer...

Anyway, I was reading over my FSM with the intention of tackling my first Transmission and Transfer case fluid change.. I will be doing differentials soon, but the lockers have to be installed first... 4 Wheel Parts IS REALLY DRAGGING THEIR FEETGETTING ALL OF THE PARTS IN!!!!!! :banghead:I will vent more on that later.. Ok, you mention that the NV3550 is a little fussy about what oil she wants.. The dealer told me that I have to use a specific Mopar part number (4874464) and the Factory Service Manual goes out of its way to state "USE only Mopar Part Number 4761542..." I am a little frustrated here as two Jeep dealers in my area want $20 per quart and as I am sure you are aware; they do not sell it by the pint, so I will be looking at a $60 fluid change for my transmission only..

I want only the best for my Billy Goat, but really do not want to spend $60 for a change w/ a half quart left over.. Heck, I just spent $3500 for lockers, an Axle, and gears, so I suppose I should stop complaining and just follow the advise of the Dealer/FSM.. Right??

As always, many thanks sir!

Timber

Jerry Bransford 12-31-2008 04:51 PM

I'd go with Royal Purple Synchromax if you can find it Timberman, that's a synthetic that works really well in the NV3550. If you can't, GM and Pennzoil both make Synchromesh which is fully compatible too but neither are a synthetic. If you live in an uber-cold climate, you want to stick with a synthetic like the RP Synchromax. If you live in a temperate climate, Synchromesh from GM or Pennzoil (they are identical) will be fine. :)

distortedtj 12-31-2008 04:54 PM

Royal purple is 10.99 a quart.....

O'Reilly Auto Parts - Results for Shopping Search

You can pick it up at just about any auto store.

Timberman 12-31-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 301204)
I'd go with Royal Purple Synchromax if you can find it Timberman, that's a synthetic that works really well in the NV3550. If you can't, GM and Pennzoil both make Synchromesh which is fully compatible too but neither are a synthetic. If you live in an uber-cold climate, you want to stick with a synthetic like the RP Synchromax. If you live in a temperate climate, Synchromesh from GM or Pennzoil (they are identical) will be fine. :)

Is there a particular part number i should reference for the Royal Purple Synchromax.. Also, have you ever used it in the NV3550? I am just a little nervous about going against the manual.. Most of us Rookies are!! :)

Timberman 12-31-2008 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 301208)
Royal purple is 10.99 a quart.....

O'Reilly Auto Parts - Results for Shopping Search

You can pick it up at just about any auto store.

Thanks DistortedTj, but unfortunately I do not have an OReily Auto Part Store near me in Oregon...

distortedtj 12-31-2008 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timberman (Post 301232)
Thanks DistortedTj, but unfortunately I do not have an OReily Auto Part Store near me in Oregon...

What do you have near you?

Anyway...Whatever auto parts store near you...napa/autozone/advance auto/and the 4wheel parts will carry the RP sychromax or can order it.

Should only need the name to order it. Rural Purple Sychromax. There is only one of them. If you really want the part # for it just go to whichever auto parts store "you have near you" Website and their part number will be on there.

Timberman 12-31-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by distortedtj (Post 301250)
What do you have near you?

Anyway...Whatever auto parts store near you...napa/autozone/advance auto/and the 4wheel parts will carry the RP sychromax or can order it.

Should only need the name to order it. Rural Purple Sychromax. There is only one of them.

I was able to find dealers in my Area (i.e. Autozone and Gi Joes.).

So, I was messing around on Royalpurple.com and man, I am sold on that Synchromesh stuff.. I think I will use the Max-Gear as soon as those guys a 4 wheel parts get my lockers and gears done (after the 500 mile break-in period of course).

Will it hurt to run the Synchromax considering I live in Oregon? Or, is it designed to work in more colder climates?

Thanks DistortedTj.

joshuasv 12-31-2008 05:32 PM

Timberman, Synthetic is great in colder climates. I am in Central Oregon myself and i have same transmission, NV3550. I use the royal purple, it works great! No special part number just the synchromax! I get mine at Baxter Auto parts, might be only here in central Oregon tho. Cheers!

distortedtj 12-31-2008 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timberman (Post 301254)

Will it hurt to run the Synchromax considering I live in Oregon? Or, is it designed to work in more colder climates?

YES. synthetic's work better for and in colder climates.;)

Synchromax is a full synthetic lube. :wavey:

Jerry Bransford 12-31-2008 05:38 PM

To be sure Timberman, RP's Synchromax is not only excellent in uber-cold conditions, it will be fine in the heat during the summer too. :)

Timberman 12-31-2008 05:52 PM

I am on the West Side of the Cascades..

I live on the west side of the cascades, so we are more of a temperate zone (with the exception of the past two weeks). Our Temps are rather moderate where the will dip down into the 30s in the winter and sometimes hit 100 in the summer.. Will I still be ok using Royal Purple Synchromax?

I have been on the phone with a list of dealers but none have it in stock in my area.. If you need RP Max Gear By Chance fellas, come to my neck of the woods as they have it in bountiful supply!

joshuasv 12-31-2008 05:58 PM

Yes it will be fine in your kind of weather. The summers here can get upwards of 100 degrees also!
If they carry any RP products they should be able to get it in in a few days at most.

distortedtj 12-31-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshuasv (Post 301304)
yes it will be fine in your kind of weather. The summers here can get upwards of 100 degrees also!
If they carry any rp products they should be able to get it in in a few days at most.

x2

Timberman 12-31-2008 06:24 PM

Many thanks guys!!!

DING, DING, DING!!!! We have a winner.. I was able to locate it about 18 miles from where I live and I was able to get it for $9.79 per quart..

So, any of you guys had experience with Royal Purple Max Gear?

Before I get out of your hair; the Tranny Fluid Change seems very simple.. Is it really as easy as draining the fluid and replacing with a pump-type system?

Thanks again Guys!

Jerry Bransford 12-31-2008 06:34 PM

In the axles, I would stick with a conventional non-synthetic gear lube. It has been found recently by several axle manufacturers that non-synthetic gear lubes help the gears to run cooler as a conventional gear lube draws the heat out of the gears better than synthetic gear lubes do. In fact, Currie recently began requiring their customers to only use conventional gear lubes in their axles to maintain the axle warranty. Currie will void the warranty of a failed axle if they find it was loaded with synthetic. Personally, I'm switching my axle lubes from synthetic to Valvoline non-synthetic gear lube at my next axle gear lube change. :)

Timberman 12-31-2008 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 301339)
In the axles, I would stick with a conventional non-synthetic gear lube. It has been found recently by several axle manufacturers that non-synthetic gear lubes help the gears to run cooler as a conventional gear lube draws the heat out of the gears better than synthetic gear lubes do. In fact, Currie recently began requiring their customers to only use conventional gear lubes in their axles to maintain the axle warranty. Currie will void the warranty of a failed axle if they find it was loaded with synthetic. Personally, I'm switching my axle lubes from synthetic to Valvoline non-synthetic gear lube at my next axle gear lube change. :)

I will do the same then.. Thanks Jerry! They Guys at 4 wheel parts told me that I will have to change the gear oil after 500 miles (that is when they finally get the work done). Is it difficult to change the differential Fluid? 4 wheel parts is throwing in an ARB D44 Diff cover for the rear and I was told that they make it a little easier to change the fluid.. I sure don't know as I have never done it!!

Triple88a 12-31-2008 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timberman (Post 301341)
Is it difficult to change the differential Fluid? 4 wheel parts is throwing in an ARB D44 Diff cover for the rear and I was told that they make it a little easier to change the fluid.. I sure don't know as I have never done it!!

nope very simple, just can be a bit messy. Take the fill plug out, then take all the bolts off but the top one. Loosen the top one and then pull the bottom of the cover to break the seal. Oil will start leaking into ur pan there.. after its all drained, take the top bolt off too, take off the cover, clean it up nicely, and inspect to make sure everything is good and all the teeth are there.

Clean the edges where the old seal is with a credit card like material or something, make sure you do not scratch them, then use rtv and put a line around the edges to create a new "gasket" and simply put the cover back on. fill w/ lube

Jeep Differential Oil Change

Timberman 12-31-2008 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triple88a (Post 301353)
nope very simple, just can be a bit messy. Take the fill plug out, then take all the bolts off but the top one. Loosen the top one and then pull the bottom of the cover to break the seal. Oil will start leaking into ur pan there.. after its all drained, take the top bolt off too, take off the cover, clean it up nicely, and inspect to make sure everything is good and all the teeth are there.

Clean the edges where the old seal is with a credit card like material or something, make sure you do not scratch them, then use rtv and put a line around the edges to create a new "gasket" and simply put the cover back on. fill w/ lube

Jeep Differential Oil Change

THANKS TRIPLE!! Man, there are so many cool "write-ups" on the web for those of us who as Mechanically un-inclined.. I found a site called 4x4xplor.com which has some really helpful tip for noobs like me as well. You gotta learn somehow right??

Timber

Jerry Bransford 12-31-2008 07:09 PM

4x4xplor.com is a very good site. The only extra emphasis on a "hint" to keep in mind when popping your diff cover to drain it is to keep one diff cover bolt loosely threaded in at the top. That will prevent the cover from falling off and landing in the catch basin when it breaks free, splashing smelly gear lube everywhere. :eek: :)