Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   TJ Tech Forum (
-   -   Auto Transmission and Torque Converter (

michaelhsapp 04-12-2013 10:52 AM

Auto Transmission and Torque Converter
3 Attachment(s)

I'm rebuilding a 97 Wrangler, it's currently down to the frame and I have the transmission up on a stand. I was going to replace the torque converter because the PO had transmission issues. I've only driven the Wrangler a few miles before I started the tear down.

I tried to purchase a torque converter from Advanced Auto. The one that they shipped in had an integrated flywheel, so that was wrong.

The uploaded pictures are of the tag that is on the transmission, the torque converter from my jeep and a close up of the "C569" stamp on the converter.

Can someone help me interpret the transmission tag and tell me what that means and more importantly tell me what & where to get a torque converter?

Thanks in advance for the advice.Attachment 235164

Attachment 235170

Attachment 235171

Jerry Bransford 04-12-2013 11:01 AM

That tag in the first photo is on your NP231 transfer case, not your Torqueflite automatic transmission. If you have the 4.0L engine, your transmission is the 32RH. The 2.5L came with the 30RH. I never needed to shop for a torque converter when I installed the 32RH into my previous TJ but I would see if your local area doesn't have a shop that specializes in torque converters. I have 2-3 such shops within 25 miles of where I live near San Diego.

This looks like it'd work though... http://www.chrismantorqueconverters....904-converter/

michaelhsapp 04-12-2013 11:14 AM

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do have a 4.0L engine.

Are you suggesting that I take the torque converter to a shop to be tested? I guess in my naivety I didn't realize they did that sort of thing.

Jerry Bransford 04-12-2013 11:18 AM

If you know the torque converter is the problem, I'd either see if your local area has a torque converter speciality shop or just buy one like in that link I provided.

I do know that not many transmission shops work on torque converters, they usually just replace them so if your area doesn't actually have a torque converter specialty shop, I'd just order one like from that link.

michaelhsapp 04-12-2013 11:41 AM


Thanks again for all the advice. I didn't see the link the first time I read your post. I was thinking the new torque converter might work too until I put the old and new TQ's side by side, the profile height of the new converter was visually shorter than the current one, maybe 1/4 inch shorter. My other concern would be clearance for the starter to engage on the primary flywheel and not interfere with the teeth on the torque converter.

Jerry Bransford 04-12-2013 11:48 AM

I would probably just order from that website. Click on their Select Options link where you'll see one can be ordered for your exact Jeep.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.