Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   15" wheels for '12 JK ?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/15-wheels-for-12-jk-234921.html)

Viper77 04-12-2013 09:04 PM

15" wheels for '12 JK ??
 
I'm looking to put 33x12.50R15 tires on my '12 2dr Sport. Any ideas on 15" wheels? I've heard there may be some caliper interference?
What about the 15x8 cragar soft 8 wheels, 4" backspace, -12mm offset....any others?

whayes 04-12-2013 09:18 PM

Kramer2k has 15" wheels

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/kra...ad-191626.html

smontesi81 04-12-2013 09:20 PM

I just installed the same tires in my JK and went with the MB TKOs from Discount Tire. No rubbing or interfering with the calipers at all. Whatever you go with make sure the backspacing is 3.75 or greater and you will be good. Most steel wheels will cause issues so best to go with alloy.

rays0852 04-12-2013 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smontesi81 (Post 3629841)
I just installed the same tires in my JK and went with the MB TKOs from Discount Tire. No rubbing or interfering with the calipers at all. Whatever you go with make sure the backspacing is 3.75 or greater and you will be good. Most steel wheels will cause issues so best to go with alloy.

X2
I went with the MB TKOs. Do your self a favor and don't do what I did. Go straight to 35s.

Also on 15" wheels you will have a hard time finding aftermarket tie rods and tie rod ends that will fit.

Viper77 04-12-2013 10:56 PM

You have any pics of your jeep with the MB TKOs?

smontesi81 04-12-2013 10:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 235381


Attachment 235383

Here's mine :)

Viper77 04-12-2013 11:20 PM

Awesome!..., my color is flame red so I think those would look good

smontesi81 04-12-2013 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper77 (Post 3630225)
Awesome!..., my color is flame red so I think those would look good

The pictures don't do them justice. The combo looks awesome on. I went with the 33x12.5 Wrangler Duratrac tires and they are very aggressive looking in real life :)

suicideking 04-13-2013 01:43 AM

I also went with the MB TKO and 35" GY MTR.

There's a list of other wheels that will work in this thread:

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f27/pic...tml?highlight=

Billy Baldone 04-13-2013 02:59 AM

I have 15'' Cragar soft 8's.I had to run a spacer. Others have shaved the caliper.

baytownbert 04-13-2013 05:53 AM

Don't believe everything you read about what won't fit. If the backspacing and other dimensions are good, there's a good chance you can run it. Everyone I talked to including American Racing said these wheels will not fit.

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k8...ps2f34f7ab.jpg

kjeeper10 04-13-2013 08:37 AM

Honestly, I would not run 15's with 35's. with a C load tire was very unstable. A lot of sidewall "jiggle" and balancing issues.
Somebody mentioned tie rod fitment. If upgrading your tie rod in the future, 15's may not work.

I wish I would have went 16's or 17's from the start.

2 other friends of mine on here did the same.

ESP 04-13-2013 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjeeper10 (Post 3631305)
Honestly, I would not run 15's with 35's. with a C load tire was very unstable. A lot of sidewall "jiggle" and balancing issues.
Somebody mentioned tie rod fitment. If upgrading your tie rod in the future, 15's may not work.

I wish I would have went 16's or 17's from the start.

2 other friends of mine on here did the same.

Agree.

15s are ok for 33s but are not nearly as stable or as good with 35s or larger. Regarding the fitment of TREs, it will be an issue as most aftermarket replacement rods are too big to fit with 15s. Alloy 15x8s are fine with 3.75" or 4.0" of backspacing and -19mm or -12mm off set.

Viper77 04-13-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smontesi81 (Post 3630235)

The pictures don't do them justice. The combo looks awesome on. I went with the 33x12.5 Wrangler Duratrac tires and they are very aggressive looking in real life :)

I like the way those look, I'll probably go with the same GW Duratrac and TKO wheel combo from discount tire. They've got the best prices

jdyowa 04-13-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rays0852 (Post 3629887)

X2
I went with the MB TKOs. Do your self a favor and don't do what I did. Go straight to 35s.

Also on 15" wheels you will have a hard time finding aftermarket tie rods and tie rod ends that will fit.

Tie Rod? They aren't attached to the wheel. The hub doesn't change?.

ESP 04-13-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdyowa (Post 3631557)
Tie Rod? They aren't attached to the wheel. The hub doesn't change?.

The Tie Rod End is what the issue is. With a 15" wheel the stock TREs barely fit into the diameter of the wheel. If you go to a better replacement tie rod the ends will not clear inside the diameter of the wheel. Most aftermarket TREs are 1-ton or more. They are substantially larger than the stock ends.

For the record, any 16" or larger alloy or steel wheel will not have this problem.

smontesi81 04-13-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viper77 (Post 3631474)

I like the way those look, I'll probably go with the same GW Duratrac and TKO wheel combo from discount tire. They've got the best prices

They sure do! I got an amazingggg deal on a set of 5 wheels and tires two weeks ago during a promotion they were running. They also offer an additional discount to forum members and can't deny free shipping!

Good luck with your purchase!

kjeeper10 04-13-2013 11:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ESP (Post 3631570)

The Tie Rod End is what the issue is. With a 15" wheel the stock TREs barely fit into the diameter of the wheel. If you go to a better replacement tie rod the ends will not clear inside the diameter of the wheel. Most aftermarket TREs are 1-ton or more. They are substantially larger than the stock ends.

For the record, any 16" or larger alloy or steel wheel will not have this problem.

Wait for it.........

baytownbert 04-13-2013 01:13 PM

I do not have that problem with my 15 inch American Racing Outlaw 1 wheels and since the Wrangler MT/R sidewalls are 3 ply Kevlar, no problem with mushy sidewalls. The whole set-up is heavy as the dickens though and very strong.

BigManAndy 04-13-2013 02:07 PM

I've been running 15 inch MB72's on my 2012 for 18 months now without any issue.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:28 PM.