Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Arizona Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f45/)
-   -   Norther Arizona (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f45/norther-arizona-235018.html)

Weston751 04-13-2013 01:08 PM

Norther Arizona

Hey y'all, I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone knows of some cool trials to explore in northern AZ. Thanks!

2five22 04-13-2013 01:50 PM

Northern Arizona is a huge area. Where are you thinking? Western by Kingman and the Colorado River? The eastern area by New Mexico? Or the area around Flagstaff, the GC, and Page?

Weston751 04-13-2013 01:59 PM

Flagstaff area in particular, but I'm willing to drive a few hours to see some new country

Meshugga 04-13-2013 02:28 PM

Just north of Flag is quite a few really neat places where you can see old volcanic activity. I haven't been up there in awhile but you can probably find some good info on the web about it.

TheWolfen 04-13-2013 03:00 PM

If you drive out through Sunset Crater National Monument pickup a map of the area. Just to the east after leaving the park on the main road you will find a dirt road (FR 776) on the right side. It leads to the Cinder Hills OHV area. Loads of cinder... hills! Lots of fun in the loose stuff. Even though I've lived here for many years my wife and I only recently started exploring the area. It is a hoot! Just don't get buried! It can be soft and deep in places.

You'll find a good map and guide in the book 'Guide to Arizona Backroads and 4-Wheel-Drive Trails' by Charles Wells & Matt Peterson.

There are plenty more places to explore. Check out Sedona, too. Has some fun slick rock trails.

- TheWolfen

Weston751 04-13-2013 03:52 PM

Thanks for all the input! I have been out to the cinders before its pretty awesome. Ill look into the Sedona scene

Meshugga 04-13-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWolfen (Post 3632300)
You'll find a good map and guide in the book 'Guide to Arizona Backroads and 4-Wheel-Drive Trails' by Charles Wells & Matt Peterson.

I picked that book up by random chance at a Half Priced Books up at Paradise Valley Mall for $4 and it is really, really descriptive. I second the recommendation.

ahsumtoy 04-14-2013 02:52 PM

Northern Arizona Places to Go

Pick yourself up the book called "Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails" by Charles A. Wells. You can get it just about anywhere. I believe I got mine from Amazon. It's about $25 and well worth it. It shows about 75 trails, 86 maps, over 300 photos plus it has the GPS Waypoints. Each trail is identified by Easy, Moderate, or Difficult and explains why. There are many great off roads adventures in the Grand Canyon area (North Rim), around Sedona, and many around Prescott area. There is even a nice Ice Cave in the Flagstaff area.

HRR1 04-16-2013 06:46 PM

Try Broken Arrow trail in Sedona.

the dudester 05-01-2013 11:18 PM

dude out west by Winslow just on the southern border of the Navajo rez.

you could drive around for days and still find trails that are always fun and new.