Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   Thermostat Question (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/thermostat-question-235341.html)

MissingMyYj 04-14-2013 10:09 PM

Thermostat Question

Hey forum members! So i just bought my replacement yj and the temp gauge never goes over the first tick mark. Which is strange considering i drive in LA traffic everyday; a lot of stop and go. So i figured my thermo was stuck in the open position. I bought a replacement 195 degree thermo and figured id swamp them out right now. The old one looks brand new, is not in the open position and is rated 160 degree. Could this be why my jeep is running colder? Or do you think i have an issue with my gauge? Should i keep the old one since it looks new and isn't stuck open?

MissingMyYj 04-15-2013 12:22 AM

DOH! I decided to put the 195 on since that is what my chilton calls for. Unfortunately the gasket wasn't lined up perfectly and tore a bit when I was torquing the bolts. So radiator fluid leaked everywhere and I am stuck until I can buy a replacement tomorrow. Thank god my girlfriend is nice enough to drive me to work and back.

computeruser 04-16-2013 08:27 AM

Lesson learned: always, ALWAYS buy an extra gasket or two. Cheap insurance for such mishaps.

MissingMyYj 04-16-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computeruser (Post 3643044)
Lesson learned: always, ALWAYS buy an extra gasket or two. Cheap insurance for such mishaps.

Yeah lesson learned alright. This time i used a gasket and some permatex 1 min gasket sealer. Worked great! My YJ is now running and the appropriate temperature and no leaks :) I hope to see a change in my MPG now that she isn't running at 155 degrees.

bardb 04-17-2013 11:32 AM

lol, don't count on it :thumb:

MissingMyYj 04-17-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bardb (Post 3647793)
lol, don't count on it :thumb:

Darn :-/ I'm getting 12-13 mpg.. Which i feel is a little low.. 15 mpg would be fine since that is factory specs

sevenservices 04-17-2013 02:37 PM

check all your tires to, a tire being only 2-3 pounds low can cause gas mileage to drop upwords of 5 mpg due to the extra drag.

Mostly for jeeps we run 'em lower, I run at an even 30psi. But, for long highway trips I'll bring 'em up to 35 or 36psi to save fuel.

The lower the pressure, the more contact area for the tire. Good for offroading and traction. Bad for gas mileage... For gas mileage you want minimum contact to the road, less friction = less drag = less force needed to make it roll.

Running a 160 is pretty cool but not at all bad. The cooler the engine, the longer it will last before the oil starts to breakdown. Over here in MI we run the hotter ones to help get our blocks up to temp faster for heating inside.

MissingMyYj 04-17-2013 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sevenservices (Post 3648435)
check all your tires to, a tire being only 2-3 pounds low can cause gas mileage to drop upwords of 5 mpg due to the extra drag.

Mostly for jeeps we run 'em lower, I run at an even 30psi. But, for long highway trips I'll bring 'em up to 35 or 36psi to save fuel.

The lower the pressure, the more contact area for the tire. Good for offroading and traction. Bad for gas mileage... For gas mileage you want minimum contact to the road, less friction = less drag = less force needed to make it roll.

Running a 160 is pretty cool but not at all bad. The cooler the engine, the longer it will last before the oil starts to breakdown. Over here in MI we run the hotter ones to help get our blocks up to temp faster for heating inside.

Good thought on the tires; i'll check them tonight. I read in a few different posts running the engine too cold can actually cause more wear and tear on the engine since it wasn't designed to run that way. Also, i read the pcm may richen the fuel mixture causing a drop in mpg.

I guess the real test will be whether or not my mpg is better or worse with the 195 thermo over the previously installed 160. If it isn't that i went through a lot of work for nothing but hands on experience and wasted money... Lol

tkfx 04-27-2013 02:41 PM

The optimal running temp for the 4.0 is 210 degrees. When my thermostat got stuck open I got a cel code couple days later. It is better to keep the engine at its optimal working temp then anything higher or lower.