Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Full size bumpers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/full-size-bumpers-235385.html)

TLATEOTW 04-15-2013 05:16 AM

Full size bumpers
 
I am looking for full size (width)bumpers, opinions?

Big Sarge 04-15-2013 05:56 AM

Not sure what look you are going for, but I put a full width JK bumper on mine.here is the link for the pictures.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/what...ml#post3610890

TLATEOTW 04-15-2013 06:49 AM

looks great, any write-up?

Big Sarge 04-15-2013 06:56 AM

I can do one. I had posted in here to start but it seemed that nobody had interest so I slacked towards the end. If you would like I can work on one today at work? It is a very simple process though.

TLATEOTW 04-15-2013 06:58 AM

that would be great and much appreciated ;)

Big Sarge 04-15-2013 08:54 AM

OK here is the original thread that I had started.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/fron...t=front+bumper

1. I removed the milk jugs, tow hooks, and bumper pads from the original TJ bumper.

2. I cut 8.5" off both sides of the bumper to allow the JK bumper to slide over the original bumber. Make sure to measure from the front as that is the longest point. If I recall correctly you want a total of 37" left of the TJ bumper.

3. After that I just used a piece of cardboard and pushed it down on the bolts of the JK bumper to get the imprints and then drilled the holes in the cardboard to use as a template for drilling the holes into the TJ bumper. I used a 1/2" drill bit because that was the larget I had. I did have to woller the holes out a little so I would recommend going a little bigger if you have the bits available. Going off my memory the bolts were 3.5" apart (left to right) and 2 1/4" apart (top to bottom). May want to measure that though.

4. I removed the bumper cover from the JK bumper, and also drilled holes in the top and bottom of the JK bumper to line up with the original mounting holes of the TJ bumper.

5. Along the bottom lip of the JK bumper you will need to either bend down or cut a notch (in the lip only) at the point where the steering gear box is. I just bent mine down as I did not have the saw with me when I was doing this step.

6. Once all this is done, I put the TJ bumper inside the JK bumper and bolted the two of them together. I believe the nuts I used were M12x1.5 and also flat washers because I used nylon self locking nuts.

7. Take the two bumpers assembled together and mount to your jeep using the original TJ bumper mounting holes. You can add some spacers to avoid doing what I did which was just closing the gap between the JK bumper and the TJ bumper using the bolt and running it down (The cover will hide which ever you choose to do).

8. Once the bumpers are bolted on, you are now ready to put the cover on. In the two holes for the tow hooks you will need to make the notch a little bigger. Going towards the back of the JK bumper I just used the knife on a Gerber multitool, and cut the notches back about another 1/4" or so. This will allow you to be able to slip the cover on. It does take a little bit of persuasion though. LOL Once the cover is on then you just use the 4 bolts that hold the cover to the bumper to secure it. These four bolts can be easily accessed with everything on.

Total project after getting the JK bumper for free and selling my stock TJ tow hooks for $20 and buying the locking nuts and washers I came out about $10 in profit. Not a bad upgrade to say the least. LOL

PStov98TJ 04-15-2013 10:01 AM

Check out thedirtworx on ebay as well. He makes some very nice custom bumpers for a very good price. And as long as you don't get too crazy, he'll customize it for no extra cost. I got a customized rear tire carrier from him and I'm very happy with it.

fourty4magjr 04-15-2013 12:01 PM

Or ares fab they do great work too and will make hat ever you want them to.

fourty4magjr 04-15-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 3638927)
OK here is the original thread that I had started.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/fron...t=front+bumper

1. I removed the milk jugs, tow hooks, and bumper pads from the original TJ bumper.

2. I cut 8.5" off both sides of the bumper to allow the JK bumper to slide over the original bumber. Make sure to measure from the front as that is the longest point. If I recall correctly you want a total of 37" left of the TJ bumper.

3. After that I just used a piece of cardboard and pushed it down on the bolts of the JK bumper to get the imprints and then drilled the holes in the cardboard to use as a template for drilling the holes into the TJ bumper. I used a 1/2" drill bit because that was the larget I had. I did have to woller the holes out a little so I would recommend going a little bigger if you have the bits available. Going off my memory the bolts were 3.5" apart (left to right) and 2 1/4" apart (top to bottom). May want to measure that though.

4. I removed the bumper cover from the JK bumper, and also drilled holes in the top and bottom of the JK bumper to line up with the original mounting holes of the TJ bumper.

5. Along the bottom lip of the JK bumper you will need to either bend down or cut a notch (in the lip only) at the point where the steering gear box is. I just bent mine down as I did not have the saw with me when I was doing this step.

6. Once all this is done, I put the TJ bumper inside the JK bumper and bolted the two of them together. I believe the nuts I used were M12x1.5 and also flat washers because I used nylon self locking nuts.

7. Take the two bumpers assembled together and mount to your jeep using the original TJ bumper mounting holes. You can add some spacers to avoid doing what I did which was just closing the gap between the JK bumper and the TJ bumper using the bolt and running it down (The cover will hide which ever you choose to do).

8. Once the bumpers are bolted on, you are now ready to put the cover on. In the two holes for the tow hooks you will need to make the notch a little bigger. Going towards the back of the JK bumper I just used the knife on a Gerber multitool, and cut the notches back about another 1/4" or so. This will allow you to be able to slip the cover on. It does take a little bit of persuasion though. LOL Once the cover is on then you just use the 4 bolts that hold the cover to the bumper to secure it. These four bolts can be easily accessed with everything on.

Total project after getting the JK bumper for free and selling my stock TJ tow hooks for $20 and buying the locking nuts and washers I came out about $10 in profit. Not a bad upgrade to say the least. LOL

That's kinda cool. Looks pretty good too! How well does it hold up?

Big Sarge 04-15-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fourty4magjr (Post 3639514)
That's kinda cool. Looks pretty good too! How well does it hold up?

I have only had it on there for a week so far. I have not done any wheeling yet, and I have not used the tow hooks yet. I have no worries with the hooks though. The bumper is bolted on very solid to the stock bumper.

justanotherjeeper 04-15-2013 12:46 PM

Big sarge, is this the stubby jk bumper or full size?

Big Sarge 04-15-2013 12:50 PM

Mine is the full size. With the wide flares that I have it fits perfectly. If one had the stock flares or aftermarkets not as wide as mine then the stubby would be the route to go. I'm pretty sure that you can buy a stubby conversion kit for the full size bumper for about $50. I just got lucky having the wider flares I guess.

justanotherjeeper 04-16-2013 07:34 PM

Sweet! Thx for the info!

KILRIK 04-17-2013 12:28 AM

I have the OR-FAB Rock Slider Front Bumper.
Here's what it looks like from the front with a winch.
http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/f...f/DSC03156.jpg

TLATEOTW 04-18-2013 01:05 AM

it seems most bumpers are not full size, i'm not finding much options

Neil F. 04-18-2013 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLATEOTW (Post 3651089)
it seems most bumpers are not full size, i'm not finding much options

Well define exactly what you call "full width" You want it out to the edge of the fenders I assume?

- Are you looking for protection (rocks, trees, brush) or just for looks

- Describe what you want it to look like i.e. round tubes, solid steel, rock slider style

virginian 04-18-2013 07:46 AM

Check out Ranch Hand bumpers -- at some point I'm moving in that direction. Not really great for rock crawling I'd assume, but it is something you don't see every day.

TLATEOTW 04-25-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F. (Post 3651474)

Well define exactly what you call "full width" You want it out to the edge of the fenders I assume?

- Are you looking for protection (rocks, trees, brush) or just for looks

- Describe what you want it to look like i.e. round tubes, solid steel, rock slider style

i need them for protection to cover the front from end to end, and i don't like the looks of the tube ones


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:51 AM.