Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Good trails near Truckee? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/good-trails-near-truckee-235464.html)

n00g7 04-15-2013 01:38 PM

Good trails near Truckee?

1 Attachment(s)
Will be in the area for a work thing over the weekend, but I'll have Saturday to myself.

Thinking of something like this... Henness Pass Road + some side roads. Start off from 80 South of Truckee and generally follow Henness Pass into Reno (to re-fuel) and then head back down to Truckee on 80.

I'm open to better suggestions though.

n00g7 04-15-2013 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
better picture

n00g7 04-15-2013 01:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Or potentially finish off with something like this instead....

Rocky Bar 04-15-2013 06:58 PM

Tahoe National Forest Trails

Was out wheeling last weekend on TNF trails(3 rigs). You will run into snow around 6k. On the north side of trails will be snow drifts, can be scary if on side hill slopes, can get stuck very easy. Don't wheel alone, cell phones can be out of range. Have fun, but don't take chance's.:)

n00g7 04-15-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocky Bar (Post 3640947)
Was out wheeling last weekend on TNF trails(3 rigs). You will run into snow around 6k. On the north side of trails will be snow drifts, can be scary if on side hill slopes, can get stuck very easy. Don't wheel alone, cell phones can be out of range. Have fun, but don't take chance's.:)

I'll be alone, or at least out there with just one jeep. Obviously not going to go if there's poor weather and I'm not going to f with deep snow in All-terrains. I'll order a map with elevation and plan out a route sticking to lower elevation.

Logistics wise, I will be handing a co-worker my route and sticking to it. My plan is to leave before light to give the new lights a workout before running into anything remotely worrisome, be up high before 7am for some pictures, and back before noon. Not back/positively alive by mid afternoon=plz send help :).

I'll be bringing camping gear, so if I get stuck overnight, no big.

flyinion 04-18-2013 01:50 PM

That looks like a nice little run. I'm gonna subscribe to this so I can remember to plot it out when the snow finally melts up there. I've done the first part of that around to Bowman lake, but I cut East and followed it around Bowman to Faucherie. Yours looks like a much longer and probably more fun route.

bobthetj03 04-18-2013 03:20 PM

Let us know how the trail was. Looks like a nice get away!

n00g7 04-18-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobthetj03 (Post 3653153)
Let us know how the trail was. Looks like a nice get away!

Not going until mid may, but I'll definitely document. I'll see you at your event 2 weeks prior. Hopefully no more snow until then, looks good through the end of the month! I couldn't care less about skiing.

flyinion 04-18-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3653199)
Not going until mid may, but I'll definitely document. I'll see you at your event 2 weeks prior. Hopefully no more snow until then, looks good through the end of the month! I couldn't care less about skiing.

Ah, your OP said this weekend lol. Yep we'll both see you at Cow then.

n00g7 04-18-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyinion (Post 3653222)
Ah, your OP said this weekend lol. Yep we'll both see you at Cow then.

By "the" I meant some weekend in the future :doh:

flyinion 06-16-2014 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3639877)
Or potentially finish off with something like this instead....

I know this is an olddddd thread. Just wanted to update though since n00g7 never posted back I don't know if he ever got a chance to try this route. I tried to run it 2 weeks ago. It was a nice "Sunday drive". Lots of rough rocky road until you get to Jackson Meadows, then a bit of back country 2 lane highway, then Henness Pass road which we saw lots of Prius and other 2wd vehicles on. Didn't need 4wd at all the whole day.

Also, you can't totally follow this route. Once you get to Independence lake that is it. You run into a closed gate that says "road closed to motor vehicles". Also looking at Google Maps satellite view where the creek crossing is, it look like there is not really any trail at all (except maybe hiking) so we probably still would have had to turn around. Still, not a bad run. I think it took us about 3-3.5 hours to get to Independence Lake from the Hwy 20/FR-18 intersection.

You could turn it into about 5 hours probably if you take the FR-18 to Jackson Meadows section a bit slower, we were going a bit faster than we probably should have for comfort. Hard to tell there though since I forgot my compressor and couldn't really air down for comfort like I normally would have (I did disco though to help a bit). Let's just say though that somewhere between Bowman and Jackson Meadows one of my beer bottles in the cooler became a casualty and either broke, exploded, or both.

Sccafire 06-16-2014 08:13 PM

I have been up and down Henness pass from Marysville all the way to Nevada. nothing but 2wd stuff