Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Vibration in driveline somewhere upon accelerating (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/vibration-in-driveline-somewhere-upon-accelerating-235626.html)

hatmaker 04-16-2013 08:46 AM

Vibration in driveline somewhere upon accelerating
 
I cant figure this one out. I put my 3 in suspension lift on bout 3 months ago and everything was fine. after about 3 weeks I had a vibration start happening when i accelerate from stop but quits almost immediately. So thinking it was just something that came loose i went back through my jeep and re torqued everything back down to spec. the same problem still occurs, i am stumped on what it could be. what do Y'all Think?

Rolly32 04-16-2013 09:40 AM

Would you happen to know where the vibration is coming from? I had something similar after I installed my lift. For me, I heard a rattle or knocking sound under my rig everytime I accelerated which would fade out in a few seconds. I also noticed when I would go over bumps quickly, the same rattle would appear.


I had a transmission line come off it's metal clip and it was taping on the frame and the acceleration knocking problem was due to my transfer case linkage after I put on the lift. I just replaced the whole linkage with a Novak shifter cable, I haven't had the problem ever since.

Rolf 04-16-2013 09:57 AM

I'm guessing that there is a suspect u-joint on the rear driveshaft.

hatmaker 04-16-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolly32 (Post 3643439)
Would you happen to know where the vibration is coming from? I had something similar after I installed my lift. For me, I heard a rattle or knocking sound under my rig everytime I accelerated which would fade out in a few seconds. I also noticed when I would go over bumps quickly, the same rattle would appear.

I had a transmission line come off it's metal clip and it was taping on the frame and the acceleration knocking problem was due to my transfer case linkage after I put on the lift. I just replaced the whole linkage with a Novak shifter cable, I haven't had the problem ever since.

That's sounds exactly like whats going on, its comin from right underneath my center console

MuddyHell 04-16-2013 11:51 AM

I replaced my rear driveshaft u-joint and that stopped the drive-line vibrations for me. The steep angle the lift puts on the joints is hell

Ryman12 04-16-2013 11:58 AM

Try removing the rear driveshaft and driving around in 4 hi for a while. If the vibes are gone then its safe to assume the rear DS u-joints are bad or perhaps a pinion bearing. Did you install a SYE kit?

Rolf 04-16-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatmaker

That's sounds exactly like whats going on, its comin from right underneath my center console

So which is it, driveline vibration or knocking/tapping? Knockin below the centre console is most certainly transfer case linkage.

hatmaker 04-16-2013 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolf (Post 3644102)

So which is it, driveline vibration or knocking/tapping? Knockin below the centre console is most certainly transfer case linkage.

I can feel it knocking underneath my center console and it only last for a few secs and it only does it bad on inclines and it happen from a start on flat and when i hit bumps, its a knocking noise that actually vibrates the jeep a tad ... That is bout it

Water Dog 04-16-2013 03:35 PM

See if it will shift into 4-wheel drive. If the shifter handle doesn't have any resistance, your tc shift linkage has come apart. When it happened to me, I popped it back together only to have it come out again....turned out it was a bad tc mount (separated) allowing the transfercase to shift and pop out the linkage. Once I replaced the mount, all was good.

hatmaker 04-17-2013 06:46 PM

Ok i did an inspection today on my trans lines and 4wd shifter and everything looks good and feels tight and i did have one tran line popped out of its clip and u popped it back in but i still have this knocking, u dont believe its the 4wd shifter linkage because it feel like its coming from the trans area

hatmaker 04-25-2013 01:02 PM

Well turns out that the transmission mount has gone out


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:38 PM.