Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Soft top window roll (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/soft-top-window-roll-235658.html)

paulj 04-16-2013 11:29 AM

Soft top window roll

I have a '12 2 door. I would like to use a window roll and think the method of rolling the windows top to bottom (Clover) makes more sense than side to side (Bestop), since the latter requires rolling across the hard lower edge. However, rolling side to side results in a longer roll, and I have a subwoofer. Does anyone know if the clover will fit in my cargo area (laid side to side in there, along the bottom of the soft top, not front to back) Thanks , from a newbie.

Rooster76 04-16-2013 02:02 PM

Take the roll of faith

It's best to roll the bottom of the windows (front to back when viewed on the Jeep) vs rolling the side that tucks into the door. I have heard that after the door side is rolled it never really pops back into shape. The first time I rolled mine it seemed like it took too much effort to roll the bottom. Trust me they will pop right back into shape even if you put them in a 2" tight roll. There made for that even though it seems stiff.

Here is what I do to store my windows> Soft-Top Window Storage with Towels and a Sleeping Bag Stuff Sack

As a side note never roll the back window up and ride with it in the snap straps. That will scratch them up.

termite 04-16-2013 02:59 PM

I use the Bestop roll and I could not imagine trying to roll the windows across the piece that clips into the door. Biggest problem with the Bestop roll is the protective sheets inside are like 4 inches too short.

kramer2k 04-16-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by termite (Post 3644519)
I use the Bestop roll and I could not imagine trying to roll the windows across the piece that clips into the door. Biggest problem with the Bestop roll is the protective sheets inside are like 4 inches too short.

Yep! I agree on both points.

WTF was Bestop thinking not making the felt liners longer? Not a huge issue, just annoying.

cnhmatthews 04-16-2013 03:27 PM

I bought some cheap fleece blankets from Wallyworld and busted out the wife's dusty sewing machine. If I got my measurements correct and kept it fairly straight in the machine I should be fine. The most expensive part was the $5 stretchy velcro straps to attach it to the rear roll bar. I have about $15 all in. If it works, I'll post some details. If you never hear from me about it again, it didn't work!!

cavsvet74 04-16-2013 07:29 PM

If I recall, the clover roll rolls the back window top to bottom and the side windows front to back.

I do not think it will fit in the cargo area. I could be wrong though.

Mule75 04-16-2013 07:38 PM

I just roll em up in towels, free (because it was laying around).

jp2611 04-16-2013 07:45 PM

It worked for the TJ so we did it for the JK...(no sub)
We made "Books" with felt pages with a heavier fabric on the outside..and have zippers that go about halfway around..got it done for the TJ with materials from walmart was about $50 in "04...when we did the new one for the '12 it was closer to $70

Duh where does it go? Behind the backseat, or on the floor if backseat is out....book doubles as a blanket. seat padding for bleachers/ camp fires.

Satari 04-16-2013 09:52 PM

I have the clover and like it. Do your self a favor and get a pool noodle to roll on the inside of the roll makes it a lot easier to handle, and also keeps the soft top windows in better shape. Mine sits on top of my soft top strapped to the roll bars.

Hoggle 04-17-2013 07:36 AM

I ordered the Rugged Ridge window roll from Quadratec, and it does the job. It is basically the same thing as the Clover, just a little cheaper. Similar again to the clover, it has straps that latch onto the rear bars when the top is down, to store the bag. Windows all roll top to bottom, and didn't have a problem rolling them, or fitting them back on the Jeep afterwards.

paulj 04-18-2013 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulj (Post 3643815)
I have a '12 2 door. I would like to use a window roll and think the method of rolling the windows top to bottom (Clover) makes more sense than side to side (Bestop), since the latter requires rolling across the hard lower edge. However, rolling side to side results in a longer roll, and I have a subwoofer. Does anyone know if the clover will fit in my cargo area (laid side to side in there, along the bottom of the soft top, not front to back) Thanks , from a newbie.

Sory, I meant to write that rolling top to bottom results in a longer roll. Thanks for the replies.