Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   fuel mileage ? do i have a problem ? wrangler weight (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/fuel-mileage-do-i-have-a-problem-wrangler-weight-23568.html)

nitrous_bob 11-29-2008 06:06 PM

fuel mileage ? do i have a problem ? wrangler weight

my '00 is all stock i was expecting to get 20 mpg on the freeway, but last 2 fillups i managed only about 16 (about 50/50 mixed)

i swapped out to full synthetic oil (the old stuff was still goldish but due) and did my plugs this afternoon, the old ngk's weren't bad looking but way overgapped probably about .055-.060

am i asking too much ? and BTW we have a DOT scale at my work... my wrangler weighs 3610 with 1/2 tank and no driver so i realize it's a little portly and catches wind like throwing a brick through a wind tunnel

any tips for better mileage ??

thanks in advance

jpdocdave 11-29-2008 06:19 PM

your gas mileage is pretty typical. if you want better mpg on the highway, keep the rpm's around 2100 give or take a hundred. find where the gears and everything likes to be with as little throttle and cruise there. most jeeps are around 2100 and just over 60mph. 70 mph will eat up gas. make sure your tires are aired up and thats it beyond normal tune up and fuel filter. professional fuel injection cleanings are worth the money.

Rawkon 11-29-2008 06:30 PM

yea jeeps aren't the best with MPG. the round where they should be flat and flat where they should be round.

What plugs did you swap in? ive been running the Champion copper truck plugs with good results.

do you have a auto or stick? hows your air filter? im running the true flow drop in filter. check the oil in your diffs, tcase, and trans.
16 isnt bad but for stock you should be getting better.

Im lifted on 33s and i can snag 17 on the highway.
I run fresh oil, true flow drop in, adjusted speedo gear.
I also run Seafoam through my motor every 6 months.

Jerry Bransford 11-29-2008 06:30 PM

I'll agree with a few things Jpdocdave says but I'll take exception to the 2100 rpms which I feel is a little too low to keep the engine away from lugging. Same with the need for 'professional fuel injector cleanings' since I strongly (!) believe that modern gasolines have enough fuel injector cleaning additives so that clogged fuel injectors are pretty much a thing of the past.

I used to have around a dozen Jeep dealers as customers and my boss used to preach dealer injector cleaning services were worth it so he and I would go round and round over that subject. Eventually I convinced him it wasn't needed through casual conversations we shared with the Jeep techs where I would ask them how often they saw fuel injectors were truly clogged. None of the younger techs had ever seen it and the old mechanics hadn't seen them in years. Though of course each of the dealerships pushed those "professional fuel injection cleaning services" like crazy. Why not, it was 95% profit for them and few people understand their injectors are rarely truly dirty. I don't even add cans of fuel injector cleaning additives like Techroline to my gas. In 44 years of driving with 30 years of driving fuel injected cars and Jeeps, I've never had a single dirty or clogged fuel injector. Heck my present injectors have well over 177,000 miles on them and they've never been cleaned yet my TJ's 4.0L engine still runs like it was new. :)

jpdocdave 11-29-2008 06:39 PM

i've done the fuel system service to all my vehicles cuz i could for free basically, and i noticed a difference in performance, and mpg. granted i'm very in tune to my vehicles. most people would not notice a change. most people also don't notice the difference after they change their fuel filter for the first time in 100k. i won't say you're gonna be floored by the difference.

i see first hand it can make a difference. gm cars have very touchy injectors, 3.1 platform cars go through injectors around 60k almost gauranteed. and the cleaning will help them. jeep injectors never fail, but cleaning them doesn't hurt. and cleaning the valves, intake system, and i hope you won't argue with cleaning the throttle body, which is all part of the service.

and rpm's are different for everyones jeep. thats why i said give or take. like i said, see where the jeep wants to be, feel where it wants to cruise with just a little throttle. my co workers and i agree that our vehicles like those rpm's. depends on gearing, trans and so on. flying down the hwy at 3 grand is gonna give you bad gas mileage. and thats what most people do out there on the hwy

Triple88a 11-29-2008 06:52 PM

mine stays at like 1800rpm at around 60mph and my engine is nice and smooth.. if i need to accelerate, thats why jeep made 4th gear.. i get 18mpg and my trips are mostly big roads with 45-55 speed limits. Now i do have other mods but the end result is much lower rpms and 18mpg. Some of those mods include 35" tires and 6" of lift. Before the 35" tires and the electric fan conversion (but including all the rest of my mods...engine mods, lift, etc) i was getting under 15mpg

Jumanji7434 11-30-2008 11:47 AM

You realize your driving a billboard with wheels not a prius, don't you?

Triple88a 11-30-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumanji7434 (Post 287356)
You realize your driving a billboard with wheels not a prius, don't you?

lol believe it or not if you "race" a prius, you will get worse mpg than if i drive my rig nicest as possible :wavey:

YouTube - TOYOTA Prius vs BMW M3 Sedan - fuel consumption (Top Gear)

Atthehop 11-30-2008 01:36 PM

I run a 04 with the 4cyl, 5 speed, 30x9.5's BFG AT's and on a good day, not exceeeding 65, I get 18-19. Thats running 50 miles to work and back every day. It tends to lug under 2,500 rpm so I keep it there or above. My old YJ did about the same. Now if I run the A/C then it's real bad. But the tires put the odometer off, reads lower with the 30's over the stock rubber, so the actual MPG is a little higher.

mknight759 11-30-2008 01:43 PM

well i have an 05 6cyl automatic with soft top and stock 245/75/16 mtr tires i only get around 14 combined milage jeeps only got 20k miles on it so its not worn out just sucks on fuel milage

TJ Gordon 11-30-2008 02:02 PM

Ha ha ha Hey I'm not laughing at you but with you:wavey:

I bought a 1999 TJ sport for my wife & she was mad at the MPG & this was even after I warned her as she had a Chevy S10 with a 4 banger & the Jeep has a 6cyl she noticed a big difference :eek:

I love the moving billboard coment above as it's so true!

I had a 1999 Tahoe that I put whipple Super charger on & it got 12mpg in town & on the highway cuz in town I was always romping it from light to light to hear that SC & feel the power. Now I had to sell that as gas was killing me so I got a little Cobalt SS thats super charged & I now have about 272 WHP as I need to get it dynoed again but I get 24 MPG in town & 34 MPG on the highway so that sort of evens out the Jeeps tank Guzzeling:)

Check out the Tahoe http://home.mchsi.com/~duggordon2/TruckF.JPG

http://home.mchsi.com/~duggordon2/TruckRF.JPG

64panhead 11-30-2008 02:17 PM

i was getting like 12mpg before i tore it apart. i hope to be getting 8-9mpg when i get it back togather:flipoff:

Triple88a 11-30-2008 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atthehop (Post 287386)
It tends to lug under 2,500 rpm so I keep it there or above......But the tires put the odometer off, reads lower with the 30's over the stock rubber, so the actual MPG is a little higher.

-lol get a 4.0L. 2500rpm there you have some good power :punk:
-I assume the stockers were 29ns? thats barely any difference.. roughly 3%... in other words whatever you get on your odometer, multiply it by 1.03 and that is your real distance.. same thing with the speed. You're going 50mph, multiply it by 1.03 and that is ur real speed. The solution to that would be to replace the speedometer gear but that is honestly a waste of time for such a small difference.

panhead, how many bolts will you have left over is what determines that 8-9mpgs :D

Atthehop 11-30-2008 03:15 PM

I know that but this way the actual mileage will be higher when I sell it at 200K.

Triple88a 11-30-2008 03:43 PM

6k miles over.. lol

ExDementia 11-30-2008 03:57 PM

I used to get 17-18 in the city then 21 on the freeway with my Ford Ranger with a 4.0... Had more power than my Jeep too...

bpowa 12-01-2008 12:57 AM

I get 14 with a hard top e-fan and 32'' tires. soft top I get 13. hell I can finally afford to drive the jeep daily.. since gas is under 2 bucks..

I would be happy with 16mpg.

scotiez 12-01-2008 04:23 AM

your about average for milage. There are different gear ratios out there so everyones is different for running on the Hwy. My Jeep runs smooth, and with the best milage when i run at or below 65mph with the RPMs between 1900 and 2100. Once your over the 65mph it eats up gas, atleast mine does. I have proven this many times by driving between Grand Forks, and Fargo which is about 80 miles one way. This applies to my jeep only now. You'll have to experiment on what is best for yours. But even with other vehicles i have had. I have gotten better milage by driving 5 to 10 mph slower then the posted interstate speed ( which is 75mph).

agphotosnatj 12-01-2008 10:02 AM

x2 about the mpg over 65. My Sahara averages btwn 19-21 mpg depending on whether I use the A/C or not--as long as I keep it 65 or under. Over 65 mpg goes down FAST. After talking with other Jeep owners in the area I've discovered my mpg is a bit higher than most--avg seems to run abt 16-18.

nitrous_bob 12-01-2008 07:11 PM

thanks guys.... i kinda thought so

it's just a hard pill to swallow when my mustang gets 21mpg

4.10 gears 5.0 and goes 12's, thats why i ask. (of course it's 500 lbs lighter too) my 2000 cherokee i leased brand new was around the 20 mpg mark

i'll experiment a little keeping it under 65 and see what happens

and to answer some of the q's, yes tires are aired up actually put them at 38 or so to make for any leaks i might have... will double check in a week and adjust accordingly

air filter is good, haven't checked the fuel filter yet.

Triple88a 12-01-2008 07:16 PM

38? put them up to about 60.. you might get them to measure 32" http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...ys/kumbaya.gif

(jk..dont actually do it)

kylebgt 12-02-2008 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous_bob (Post 287819)
thanks guys.... i kinda thought so

it's just a hard pill to swallow when my mustang gets 21mpg

4.10 gears 5.0 and goes 12's, thats why i ask. (of course it's 500 lbs lighter too) my 2000 cherokee i leased brand new was around the 20 mpg mark

i'll experiment a little keeping it under 65 and see what happens

and to answer some of the q's, yes tires are aired up actually put them at 38 or so to make for any leaks i might have... will double check in a week and adjust accordingly

air filter is good, haven't checked the fuel filter yet.

:D I feel your pain!!
I have a 2000 GT 5spd with plenty of performance upgrades. I'm still able to get 24mpg in it. On the other hand my stock 2.5 Jeep gets 15-18:(
I have owned plenty of vehicles and my wrangler is the ONLY one that actually slows while rolling down a hill in neutral! There is a stretch of road I travel where I can put my Mustang in neutral and roll for 2 miles dropping maybe 5mph in the process. On that same stretch I have to leave the wrangler in 5th otherwise it will slow down in a block:rolleyes:.

cork1958 12-02-2008 11:08 AM

I have a 2001 TJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

I've been keeping pretty good track of my mileage since getting my Jeep in July. Been averaging 16-18mpg's regularly.

Put regular AT's on it a month or 2 ago. No noticeable mpg difference between those and the off road tires I had on it. Except noise, of course!

Staying 65 or under DEFINITELY makes a difference though. I could possibly get 20mpg if I didn't drive highway as much as I do. Would take a concentrated effort on slow take offs and everything else.

namsnik 12-02-2008 11:54 PM

I bought my 99 TJ for my DD. The mileage seems to be right about where I thought it would be 14/20. Seems pretty good considering the Lightning only gets about 9mpg (475hp). Was wondering if a TB spacer or cold air would help the Tj out at all? Will have 33s on it this weekend I think they should help me gain a little on the highway.

Triple88a 12-03-2008 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cork1958 (Post 287995)
I could possibly get 20mpg if I didn't drive highway as much as I do.

Not really, city is worse. Stop and go traffic kills mpg. If you are lucky to go to work other than the rush hours, then the stop signs and stop lights will get you for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by namsnik (Post 288263)
I Was wondering if a TB spacer or cold air would help the Tj out at all? Will have 33s on it this weekend I think they should help me gain a little on the highway.

well there are some people here that will argue that bellow 2000 rpm is too low to drive on 5th gear and, the rig will bog and it will not be able to hold speed.

well i have 35" tires with 6" of lift (3.73 gearing, 4.0 5 speed) and my rig stays at about 1700rpm at about 50mph and about 1800 at 60mph.. I have a custom 3" intake, bored out throttle body, 2.5" catback exhaust (full with 2.5" tail pipe), electric fan conversion (i think thats about it on the performance side).. My rig holds speed at such low rpms with no problem, It runs very smooth so either people are wrong, or they are full of it, or repeating what other have said, or the mods actually make a difference and the people saying otherwise are still wrong. :9lame:

Also cant forget i was barely getting 180miles per tank stock before the gas light turned on, now i go way past that. I just filled up today 271 on the odometer when the light first turned on and i filled up few tenths above 16 gallons.

Eric554 12-09-2008 12:22 AM

I have a stock 2000 TJ and i get around 13-14 in the city... it sucks.

Triple88a 12-09-2008 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric554 (Post 290370)
I have a stock 2000 TJ and i get around 13-14 in the city... it sucks.

Thats what i used to get stock too.

Rogue 12-20-2008 10:32 PM

I have a 2002 TJ with the 4.0 and 74,000 miles, and I am averaging about 10 to 11 mpg. I, too, need some good advice as I feel the gas mileage should be better. I changed the plugs recently, and saw no change. The engine is bone stock, but I have a 4" lift with 33" x 12.50 tires with a 3.07 stock gear ratio front and rear. I drive responsibly, and steadily accelerate instead of gunning the engine...

Will gears help, since the stock gears may be bogging the engine and consuming more fuel? (move from 3.07 to 4.56)

What modifications, specifically, would you guys suggest to increase MPG? (Free flow air filter, bigger cold air intake, spacers, exhausts, computer chips, electric fans, etc.)

Help me out guys!

muskegonjohn 12-21-2008 02:25 PM

In addition to keeping it tuned up I loose the back seat when possible, drive 60 mph (your crazy going faster then that in a Wrangler anyway), and keep the tires inflated to around 41 psi. I get about 23 highway.

MoA 12-21-2008 02:52 PM

good gas milage is a thing of the past..

gas is only 1.60 now =D

but yah, my jeep use to get 16-20 mpg depending on my driving.. now i get 12-15 mpg when i do drive it.. but then again it doesnt see highways anymore =D