Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   California Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/)
-   -   Diagnostic problem HELP (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f55/diagnostic-problem-help-235778.html)

Idriveoverstuff 04-16-2013 08:40 PM

Diagnostic problem HELP

Vibration about 60mph and not a solid squeak but a squeal squeak squeak when I let off the peddle/ braking ...
Ideas?

Jk4thedirt 04-16-2013 09:13 PM

It could be a drive shaft. Is the noise coming from the front or rear?

Idriveoverstuff 04-17-2013 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jk4thedirt
It could be a drive shaft. Is the noise coming from the front or rear?

Can't tell but sounds like front driver... Everything looks good tho, can't figure it out but I'm going to hungry valley this weekend ready or not I'm just hoping to figure it out and fix it before I find out the hard way ha

Jk4thedirt 04-17-2013 09:36 AM

Depending on your wheeling habits, it could be the front driveshaft. How big of lift are you running? And how often do you go wheeling and how hard do you wheel?

Idriveoverstuff 04-17-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jk4thedirt
Depending on your wheeling habits, it could be the front driveshaft. How big of lift are you running? And how often do you go wheeling and how hard do you wheel?

3.5 rubicon express, 35s lately it's been John Bull, calico and as hard as I can go ha

Jk4thedirt 04-17-2013 09:14 PM

Then my guess is driveshaft. You can check it pretty easy. Take out the front drive shaft and take it out for a drive. You won't hurt anything running around without one. Time to start the process of elimination game.

Idriveoverstuff 04-17-2013 09:20 PM

It looks crazy! Are the jkru drive shafts not serviceable? I have been working on cars and trucks my whole life but this is my first real jeep.

Jk4thedirt 04-17-2013 09:27 PM

No they are not. It's jeeps way of keeping the mall cruzers happy and maintenance free.

Idriveoverstuff 04-17-2013 09:52 PM

Ok so what do I do hmm you think it mite be a drive link in the front? A rock in the brakes? Can I still when this weekend? My stabilizer bolt flew off yesterday and it kinda stopped I put a new one on and it really stopped and the vibration is at a minimum and the sound is at a minimum or sometimes aswell

Idriveoverstuff 04-17-2013 09:53 PM

The underside of my rubi looks like it had fun on a slip n slide lined with cheese graders haha to put it that way

Jk4thedirt 04-17-2013 10:00 PM

They say that if you lift your jeep more than 2.5" you have to replace the front drive shaft. I'm running 5.0" and still running my stock one. I know it's going to give up the ghost soon. I figure its a 2013 JKUR with 10k miles. I should be ok another month. After that, I will look into replacing the front drive shaft.
You didn't say anything about the steering stabilizer nut coming off. I was trying to figure out why you are getting a noise at 60 mph on the freeway. You wouldn't get that noise at 60 on the freeway with a rock in your breaks. That only happens when your going slow.

JPi1 04-17-2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idriveoverstuff (Post 3645836)
Vibration about 60mph and not a solid squeak but a squeal squeak squeak when I let off the peddle/ braking ...
Ideas?

Look at your front axle u joints real close, look for fresh bare metal around the joints. Did the squeak and vib start At the same time?

Idriveoverstuff 04-17-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi1

Look at your front axle u joints real close, look for fresh bare metal around the joints. Did the squeak and vib start At the same time?

Honestly not sure i have been looking at then and they look fine but tomorrow ill jack it up and take the weight off and take a gander..

JPi1 04-17-2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Idriveoverstuff (Post 3650720)

Honestly not sure i have been looking at then and they look fine but tomorrow ill jack it up and take the weight off and take a gander..

Also, if you have the factory driveshafts, check for any damage at the spline area. This will cause a vibration and squeak too.