Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Why does my 2012 Wrangler slide backward on driveway? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/why-does-my-2012-wrangler-slide-backward-on-driveway-235867.html)

Ottis 04-17-2013 10:50 AM

Why does my 2012 Wrangler slide backward on driveway?

We have a sloped concrete driveway, not hugely sloped (we live in a neighborhood), but more than mild. We've had four cars in this house, and in the Denver winters I have never had this happen until this 2012 Sport: When I back out of the garage after a snow of a few inches or less, and I brake on the driveway to be sure the garage door goes down in front of me, the Jeep slides down the driveway! :eek: Two days ago, after a couple inches of wet snow, I tried to make it up the driveway (in 2WD) and stopped briefly and the Jeep started sliding down while in drive. I couldn't get back up without a running start (again, 2WD).

I have to be very careful because we have a brick mailbox at the foot of the driveway, and the Jeep is parked on that side. So if I turn the wheel and it slides an an angle I could hit the mail box.

None of our other cars do this. You stop on the driveway, the cars stay put in any weather excepy solid ice. The Jeep worries me because if I get caught in snow on a hill and have to stop, will I slide backwards? Is it because the Wrangler is so light? For reference, I have 2012, 2-door Sport Wrangler. Bought new Duratracs last year, and Jeep has < 4K miles on it.

onetraveller 04-17-2013 12:40 PM

What size tires did you buy? Most people don't realize that by going to a wider tire, they increase the size of the contact patch and actually reduce the amount of ground pressure the tire can apply. That's why you see people having to run 25 psi in their new 12-13 inch wide tires. It's long been known that skinny tires do better in snow, but wide tires are fashionable.

Mike

Ottis 04-17-2013 12:59 PM

Same size as stock.

Scott2373 04-17-2013 01:23 PM

Tire tread is also extremely important in the winter on paved roads. I learned this the hard way at 60mph several years ago...anyway, If you're running a M/T with big smooth lugs and no siping, you're asking for problems. Get yourself a set of good A/T or winter tires.

onetraveller 04-17-2013 01:37 PM

Ok, if you are using stock size (255) Duratracs then it is probably just a combination of the light weight and wet, slippery snow. My 4 door if not very impressive in the snow in 2 wheel drive. I'm running BF Goodrich ATs with studs.

You might find investing in some dedicated winter tires worthwhile. Something like Blizzaks that are meant for snow and ice.

I love my JK, but there are better choices for driving on winter roads. A Subaru or Audi is far more sure footed on the highway.

Mike

live_slow 04-17-2013 02:09 PM

your tires are cold too.

sometimes we forget that cold tires suck, and general use tires take a long time to warm up. anyone who's had to drive high-performance summer tires through a cold winter can provide their experience with this problem :-)

combine that with less siping than most car tires and a llght vehicle, etc.

panthermark 04-17-2013 02:31 PM

You have too much gravity in Denver.....:D

Jeeps_and_Boats 04-17-2013 02:48 PM

At the risk of a slight hijack, if this tire sipping thing is so awesome, why are all tires not coming from the factory pre-sipped?

Jeeps_and_Boats 04-17-2013 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panthermark (Post 3648416)
You have too much gravity in Denver.....:D

Well played...

But wouldn't there actually be less as he's further from the core than most of the rest of us?

JKWrangler2012 04-17-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeps_and_Boats (Post 3648491)
At the risk of a slight hijack, if this tire sipping thing is so awesome, why are all tires not coming from the factory pre-sipped?

On the contrary, some are :)

onetraveller 04-17-2013 05:15 PM

Siping,
If you look at modern all season highway tires, you'll notice that they are heavily siped. The problem with it is that it leaves you with small tread blocks that don't have the strength to stand up to off-road abuse. The reason the tread blocks on a set of mud tires are so big is for strength. And playing in the rocks still often results in tearing tread blocks off.

Mike

BigManAndy 04-17-2013 05:57 PM

My JK did that once. Backed it up a snow covered, maybe 1", driveway. Came out a few hours later to the nose of my Jeep in the road and a 20 foot slide mark in the snow. This was with 33/12.5x15 Duratracs. Hasn't happened since so I'm tossing it up as a fluke.

COLOUJK 04-18-2013 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeeps_and_Boats (Post 3648491)

The sipping that tire shops do adds additional sipes. It is a process that just cannot be done on a large scale without a huge increase in price.

Mike- 04-18-2013 03:30 AM

Or ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by onetraveller (Post 3648203)
Ok, if you are using stock size (255) Duratracs then it is probably just a combination of the light weight and wet, slippery snow. My 4 door if not very impressive in the snow in 2 wheel drive. I'm running BF Goodrich ATs with studs.

You might find investing in some dedicated winter tires worthwhile. Something like Blizzaks that are meant for snow and ice.

I love my JK, but there are better choices for driving on winter roads. A Subaru or Audi is far more sure footed on the highway.

Mike

Or a Jeep Liberty!

Binx 04-18-2013 08:13 AM

How much pressure is in the tires?

asianhulk 04-18-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Mike

Subaru? You would think your from Alaska! J/K I think I will stick with the stock tire size for a bit and get some studs to run in the winter

michiganadam 04-18-2013 08:27 AM

:dance:
Quote:

Originally Posted by asianhulk (Post 3651541)
Subaru? You would think your from Alaska! J/K I think I will stick with the stock tire size for a bit and get some studs to run in the winter

Winter is exactly why i bought a jk. with stock tires its pretty amazing in the winter. i like parralel parking with one side on top of a snow bank so im not in the road...

The op needs an anchor.

BManz 04-18-2013 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ottis (Post 3647653)
We have a sloped concrete driveway, not hugely sloped (we live in a neighborhood), but more than mild. We've had four cars in this house, and in the Denver winters I have never had this happen until this 2012 Sport: When I back out of the garage after a snow of a few inches or less, and I brake on the driveway to be sure the garage door goes down in front of me, the Jeep slides down the driveway! :eek:

Bought new Duratracs last year, and Jeep has < 4K miles on it.

Has to be a problem with your particular set of tires. I've got "skinny" 265/70-17 C-load Duratracs and my JK sticks like a cat's claws on carpet in snow and almost as good on steep inclines -- about the same as a friend's Audi on Blizzaks (his opinion after driving my JK). Even on drives where it's terribly slippery for me to walk on my JK sticks fine on Duratracs.

Maybe you got a bad/old set of Duratracs where the tire compound has been weathered dry so they stay hard when it's cold?:confused: In -5F weather, my Duratracs are very flexible; I'd even say they still feel "sticky".

Ottis 04-18-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BManz (Post 3651728)
Has to be a problem with your particular set of tires. I've got "skinny" 265/70-17 C-load Duratracs and my JK sticks like a cat's claws on carpet in snow and almost as good on steep inclines -- about the same as a friend's Audi on Blizzaks (his opinion after driving my JK). Even on drives where it's terribly slippery for me to walk on my JK sticks fine on Duratracs.

Maybe you got a bad/old set of Duratracs where the tire compound has been weathered dry so they stay hard when it's cold?:confused: In -5F weather, my Duratracs are very flexible; I'd even say they still feel "sticky".

I bought my Duratracs new from Discount Tire, online. Seems unlikely they would be bad, but I suppose it is possible. This issue really bothers me because if I can't trust the Jeep in winter, there goes half the reason I bought it.

Ottis 04-18-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike- (Post 3651158)
Or a Jeep Liberty!

Haven't checked ... it has been very cold and snowy ... but did the free oil change and check at the dealer a few months ago and all seemed well. It also slid once at the end of last year, but I had chalked it up to an anomaly. Now it is every day, as we keep getting these 2-5 inch snow falls (and more at times).

michiganadam 04-18-2013 01:24 PM

I usually park mine half buried in a snow pile.

Scott2373 04-18-2013 01:45 PM

I have used Nokian tires exclusively for the past 6 or so years, ever since I discovered them. It's the best tire I've ever ran and I probably won't use anything else. How can you go wrong with a company that holds the majority of patents on tires. Not to mention, they're a Finnish company. I tend to believe they know a thing or two about snow and inclement weather in Finland.

st1264 04-18-2013 01:53 PM

2wd RWD is horrible on snow. FWD is better in that particular situation. I had a 2wd posi Dakota and like you I have an inclined driveway. There were times that I couldn't get into my driveway! Spinning, almost going sideways... I swore off 2wd pickups forever. I went to an AWD Quadradrive GC and it was like heaven. Went up my driveway that was a sheet of ice. Didn't realize until I stepped out and fell on my arse!

Unfortunately, you need your 4wd on if you want traction on snow and ice on an incline. Believe me, I know. Not sure how good the traction control is... haven't really had much snow in the last 6 weeks since I've owned my JK. When in doubt, throw it in 4wd.

h22lude 04-18-2013 08:55 PM

I have never heard of this happening in any vehicle. Once the vehicle is stopped on a hill, it shouldn't move no matter what tire you have on it.

Getting up the driveway in 2WD is another issue. Just throw it in 4WD but I don't think that is what you are worried about. 2WD or 4WD, it won't make a difference once you are stopped. I have stock rubi tires on and have a pretty steep driveway. My Jeep didn't budge an inch this winter.

Let us know what you find out. I would be shocked if tires make a difference. Duratracs are supposed to be good tires in the snow.

Quote:

Mike

My last two cars were 2007 and 2010 Audi A4s with Quattro. Loved both cars and will probably go back to Audi when I don't want to use the Jeep as my DD anymore. Before this Jeep I found the Audis to be the best cars in the snow hands down. I find the Jeep to do just as well maybe even a little better going up hills. If we are talking about sliding out while driving the Audi will probably be better because it is a car and easier to control. Normal driving in snow I found them both to be very comparable.

ztman 04-18-2013 09:08 PM

Dura Tracs are great tires. They have the open lugs so there is not as much contact material with the ground surface. Cant imagine it would be a compound problem, how much air pressure do you have in the tires? I only had one car slide on the pavement, and that was because there was a coating of ice.

coniferhi 04-18-2013 09:48 PM

I live up in Conifer, CO and currently have a TJ with a JK on the way next week. I have had YJ's and CJ's before. Living up in the hills I experience this every year especially in the spring regardless of the model Jeep. Starting up my snow covered driveway with a running start, if I don't make it to the top and loose momentum I often slide 60 feet back down to the road. My 76 Ford High Boy will do the same thing sometimes just backing out of the garage. I have always thought it had to do with so little weight over the rear wheels of my 2 door Jeeps and the pickup. My wifes Xterra does not do this even at a full stop on the drive. I think it happens more to me in spring is due to the snow having more moisture and turning to ice quickly under the tires with even the slightest of sliding friction. It hardly ever happens in deep winter when the snow is dry and crunchy. All my Jeeps have had winches to assist getting up the driveway after heavy spring snows. This also happens more often when there is very little snow on the driveways surface. It's good that the snow piles are 4 feet high on both sides of the driveway as I pinball down backwards the walls slow me down!

coniferhi 04-18-2013 09:58 PM

One other thing. This has happened to me regardless of tires (brand,style or size,except never had Blizzaks) although they are always non-studded when it happens. In winter I run the skinniest tallest studded tires I can buy but this year I put my summer tires on early. Big mistake. Took me several runs last night to get it in the garage.

SilverSport 04-18-2013 10:02 PM

Since when does the Duratrac come in the stock size of 255-75/17?

rics1997 04-18-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ottis (Post 3647653)
We have a sloped concrete driveway, not hugely sloped (we live in a neighborhood), but more than mild. We've had four cars in this house, and in the Denver winters I have never had this happen until this 2012 Sport: When I back out of the garage after a snow of a few inches or less, and I brake on the driveway to be sure the garage door goes down in front of me, the Jeep slides down the driveway! :eek: Two days ago, after a couple inches of wet snow, I tried to make it up the driveway (in 2WD) and stopped briefly and the Jeep started sliding down while in drive. I couldn't get back up without a running start (again, 2WD).

I have to be very careful because we have a brick mailbox at the foot of the driveway, and the Jeep is parked on that side. So if I turn the wheel and it slides an an angle I could hit the mail box.

None of our other cars do this. You stop on the driveway, the cars stay put in any weather excepy solid ice. The Jeep worries me because if I get caught in snow on a hill and have to stop, will I slide backwards? Is it because the Wrangler is so light? For reference, I have 2012, 2-door Sport Wrangler. Bought new Duratracs last year, and Jeep has < 4K miles on it.

I know many here love Duratrac's and claim they do well in snow but I also had issues with sliding in wet snow. I ended up getting new tires for this reason and a couple more. I slid all over the place in wet snow. Did well in powered snow but was all over the road on a little steep inclines when the snow was slushy.

st1264 04-18-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h22lude (Post 3654036)
I have never heard of this happening in any vehicle. Once the vehicle is stopped on a hill, it shouldn't move no matter what tire you have on it.

You've never heard of a vehicle sliding down an icy inclined driveway? Even with snow tires how do you get traction on solid ice? Put a vehicle on my driveway when it has an inch of wet snow on it (ice-forget about it), put it in park and it'll slide down. Whether it's an Audi or a Hummer. It's physics. Depending on how steep it is, it'll happen. Stood on my icy driveway in Feb... fell on my butt. Steep and slippery is a bad combination.

Not sure what my angle is, but I've slid down it many times. When I had a 2wd pickup, it was an adventure to say the least.