Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Soft door options?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/soft-door-options-235971.html)

dropzone 04-17-2013 06:47 PM

Soft door options??

I have full steel doors on my '03 and want full soft doors. I've seen them from Bestop but the best price I've seen is still outragous...about $440. I want them to cerry in the back when I go doorless so that I have something for when I run into rain. That would be the only use they would see so $440 is more than I care to spend, but will if that is my only viable option.

Anyone else know of another option that would serve my purpose for a reasonable price? Just looking to keep the rain out from time to time...nothing real fancy, but let's keep the suggestions a step above a rain suit. :)

(I've been keeping an eye on craigs list for a few months with no luck so far)

AlexS 04-17-2013 07:15 PM

Drive so fast that the rain cannot enter!!!!

dropzone 04-17-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexS (Post 3649501)
Drive so fast that the rain cannot enter!!!!

That's what I used to do but I ran out of nitrous and it's too expensive now. :D

somis 04-17-2013 07:46 PM

In my honest opinion, I would just keep your full doors on. I love my half doors for summertime, but that is all I have. I would kill for a real hard top and full doors after driving my 97 as a DD for 5 years now. My plastic windows are hardly visible to see through no matter how well I clean them, the zippers bust off and get stuck constantly. They are a pain in the ass to deal with. I understand you dont plan on running them all the time, but I would never recommend anyone ever spend a dime on soft uppers. On the other hand I love my steel lower halves, really cool for summertime

dropzone 04-17-2013 07:59 PM

Keeping the steel doors on during the nice months here is not an option...that would defeat the purpose I bought the jeep for. I would rather get wet every so often or pay $440 for Bestop soft doors than keep the steel doors on all the time.

In a perfect world someone would post a link for some cheapo soft doors. Don't need high quality since they won't get used much. :thumb:

T2000J 04-17-2013 08:08 PM

I have been looking for about a year . I'm done looking i am ordering them this weekend from bestop not going another summer without them.

joebarlow65 04-17-2013 09:43 PM

I'm in the same boat you are dropzone. I am tossing around the idea of trading my full doors for a set of halves with soft uppers. I'm also tossing around the idea of buying the soft upper kit and making my own sheet metal half doors. they are honestly super simple to make. But once you factor in the time needed to make them, and have them function correctly, your probably money ahead just paying the 400+ for the full soft door.

n00g7 04-17-2013 09:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Half doors + soft uppers and throw it all in the back when you don't want to use them.

sinepome 04-17-2013 09:58 PM

I feel your full door pain. I too had only full doors at first. Wait for a good craigs list deal i got 2 sets( 1 2 piece soft, and 1 1piece softs) for $50 each Cj door will probably work with a little modification/fabrication to your latches if you get the right style handle ( paddle or flap i forget which i have.)
I have a yj with cj soft door frames. Cj skins on the lowers and tj skins on the tops. They don't match and the upper skins are a little loose. But when it rains there way easier to throw on than the 175lb steel doors. And they didn't cost $440. GL.

joebarlow65 04-17-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somis (Post 3649611)
...after driving my 97 as a DD for 5 years now. My plastic windows are hardly visible to see through no matter how well I clean them, the zippers bust off and get stuck constantly...

5 years is a long time to have the same soft uppers. i think replacement skins are only $100. shoot $100 bucks every 5 years, even at 2.5 years is a drop in the bucket compared to what we spend on other aftermarket parts, that's less then half a new tire.

XTRyan 04-18-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dropzone (Post 3649400)
I have full steel doors on my '03 and want full soft doors. I've seen them from Bestop but the best price I've seen is still outragous...about $440. I want them to cerry in the back when I go doorless so that I have something for when I run into rain. That would be the only use they would see so $440 is more than I care to spend, but will if that is my only viable option.

Anyone else know of another option that would serve my purpose for a reasonable price? Just looking to keep the rain out from time to time...nothing real fancy, but let's keep the suggestions a step above a rain suit. :)

(I've been keeping an eye on craigs list for a few months with no luck so far)

With our Exclusive Wrangler Forum Discount, we can get you the doors for a decent price. Also, we offer free shipping on all order over $75.

I ran the Bestop Full Soft Doors on my JK for a little while. I really liked them, and can't wait to get them back on. I only use them during bad weather or cold mornings during the summer.

Shoot me a PM and I can get you a quote on the doors, or answer any questions you have!

-Zach

All Terrain JK 04-18-2013 12:05 PM

Ok I got a question. On the bestop two piece doors, will the uppers also fit on the factory half doors? I'm in the market for uppers and planning on getting the bestop sliders. If the two piece upper will fit my factory lower, I will buy that.

T2000J 04-19-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtremeTerrain (Post 3652019)
With our Exclusive Wrangler Forum Discount, we can get you the doors for a decent price. Also, we offer free shipping on all order over $75.

I ran the Bestop Full Soft Doors on my JK for a little while. I really liked them, and can't wait to get them back on. I only use them during bad weather or cold mornings during the summer.

Shoot me a PM and I can get you a quote on the doors, or answer any questions you have!

-Zach

Pm sent thanks

XTRyan 04-19-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All Terrain TJ (Post 3652286)
Ok I got a question. On the bestop two piece doors, will the uppers also fit on the factory half doors? I'm in the market for uppers and planning on getting the bestop sliders. If the two piece upper will fit my factory lower, I will buy that.

I don't think that the uppers will work with the half doors. They will fit in the pins, but the fabric will flap because they use Velcro to attach the lower to the upper.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be happy to help!

Quote:

Originally Posted by T2000J (Post 3655750)
Pm sent thanks

Replied! Check your inbox.

-Zach

joebarlow65 04-19-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtremeTerrain (Post 3656121)
I don't think that the uppers will work with the half doors. They will fit in the pins, but the fabric will flap because they use Velcro to attach the lower to the upper.

If that be true then all you would have to do is put your own sticky back velcro where the upper velcro meets the door.

All Terrain JK 04-19-2013 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtremeTerrain (Post 3656121)

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be happy to help!

Replied! Check your inbox.

-Zach

PM sent.

All Terrain JK 04-19-2013 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joebarlow65 (Post 3656146)

If that be true then all you would have to do is put your own sticky back velcro where the upper velcro meets the door.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

T2000J 05-21-2013 03:08 PM

Thanks Zach

I should have got soft doors years ago. quick and compact way to close up a hole