Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Windshield Washer outlets.. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/windshield-washer-outlets-23604.html)

Timberman 11-30-2008 06:32 PM

Windshield Washer outlets..

Hey guys,

Well.. I have an issue with my windshield washer outlets. I recently took my Tj to Mt. Hood and found in situations where I couldn't clean my windshield to save my life.. The outlets dispense water much a kinked hose.. The passenger side works just fine, but the drivers side barely even reaches the windshield. Can you remove these and clean them, or must they be replaced? I was thinking about removing them and cleaning them with CLR or cleaning them with hot water. There is obviously some "Build-up" that must be cleaned.

Any help is appreciated.

Timber

Jerry Bransford 11-30-2008 07:07 PM

They're clogged with hard water deposits. Use a hard water cleaner like Lime Away, X-13, etc. that use a mild acid to disolve the hard water mineral deposits together with a sewing needle to help clean the nozzle. Soaking it several hours in the cleaner will help. If you have compressed air, it may help by blowing the nozzle out from the side the hose connects to. :)

Timberman 11-30-2008 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 287501)
They're clogged with hard water deposits. Use a hard water cleaner like Lime Away, X-13, etc. that use a mild acid to disolve the hard water mineral deposits together with a sewing needle to help clean the nozzle. Soaking it several hours in the cleaner will help. If you have compressed air, it may help by blowing the nozzle out from the side the hose connects to. :)

I did the sewing needle trick and it worked just fine.. It took a while to get them lined-up right, but they appear to be good-to-go now.

Thanks Jerry!

Jerry Bransford 11-30-2008 07:46 PM

I had to do the same thing last weekend Timberman. I was wheeling in a really dusty area and when I tried to use the wipers and windshield washer, it just smeared the driver's side windshield since that nozzle had just recently clogged up. It was a mess and I couldn't see out of the driver's side of the windshield the entire rest of the day. :zap:

Timberman 11-30-2008 07:55 PM

Thanks

I am just so used to my DD which has the fluid outlets on the windshield wipers, so it makes it so much easier.. I will keep a needle handy from here on out!

jp'rs_peep'rs 11-30-2008 08:04 PM

Dont use vinegar what ever you do. I tried that route, boy what a mess. Had to remove the majority of the componets and drian, rince,repeat....what a mess. On the other hand it smell'd really fresh. LOL!
Where ever did I come up with that stupid ideal.

C.

Jerry Bransford 11-30-2008 08:39 PM

Good to know, one of the guys on the trail with me when my washer nozzle clogged suggested I pour vinegar into the windshield washer tank. Good thing I didn't, thanks for that info! :)

05GT-O.C.D. 12-01-2008 08:48 AM

Careful waxing your hood. It seems I always get some wax off the edge of the pad in the squirters. :banghead: