Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   best 3" lift kit (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/best-3-lift-kit-236172.html)

birdy35 04-18-2013 04:42 PM

best 3" lift kit
 
I have a 2006 rubicon and i was wondering what the best lift kit for it is. It's a RD so I also need to know what shocks everyone recommends

birdy35 04-18-2013 04:45 PM

Sorry RD is supposed to be DD

PStov98TJ 04-18-2013 04:49 PM

OME makes great shocks and a very good 2.5" kit.

birdy35 04-18-2013 04:57 PM

I have been looking at OME. Does it hold up well off road as well? Nice jeep by the way

PStov98TJ 04-18-2013 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdy35 (Post 3653428)
I have been looking at OME. Does it hold up well off road as well? Nice jeep by the way

Thanks! :) pretty proud of it.

I can't personally attest to holding up long term as I've only had it for about 8 months but everyone says it'll last as long as you have it on the jeep. Offroad performance is good though. And on road performance/ride was improved as well. Very comfortable ride.

birdy35 04-18-2013 05:04 PM

Thanks for the input. Would you send a link for the lift you put on your jeep please

PStov98TJ 04-18-2013 05:05 PM

Yeah give me a sec

PStov98TJ 04-18-2013 05:08 PM

Here ya go. I opted for the Nitro Shock upgrade btw. Very good stuff in this kit.

Old Man Emu Ultimate TJ/LJ Wrangler Kit | dpgoffroad.com

birdy35 04-18-2013 06:54 PM

Thanks!! That seems to be a great lift

larjeep 04-18-2013 07:22 PM

I run the 3" bds kit in my rig. It is great. Check it out.

birdy35 04-18-2013 07:43 PM

Will do. I have been liking at the zone lifts too. They have had some good reviews. I just want to have as smooth of a ride as I can while still being able to go off roading.

larjeep 04-18-2013 08:31 PM

Bds makes zone.

Steeljag 04-18-2013 08:40 PM

My2" BDS suspension lift, lifted me just under3" .....lol

Looks good, rides nice!

VaJeepster 04-18-2013 08:44 PM

Bds is what I want I think their the one with the long warranty ?

jrussblues 04-18-2013 09:07 PM

Rubicon express superflex, teraflex with 8 adjustable control arms, savvy's Currie 3" are all very good and fairly comprehensive lifts that will provide you with great durability, great off road performance and daily driving comfort.
A basic 3" lift consists of springs and shocks and will likely leave you unhappy with ride quality.
Bilstien and old man emu make some great shocks and Rubicon express shocks are also manufactured by bilstien and valved specifically for their lifts.
Expect to spend 1500 to 2500 for a good quality lift.
If you want to go all out in ride quality then you could go long arm but the cos goes up dramatically.
Plan on a slip yoke eliminator, a rear CV drive shaft and an alignment as well.
Quality lifts will provide you with the performance you would like on and off road. Quality shocks will help even more. Skimping on either and going the rough country, BDS, skyjacker, zone, etc...will have you in the same position as many of my customers...spending a lot more in the long run to undo what they skimped on in the beginning or, in extreme cases, selling their jeeps.

1320quick 04-18-2013 09:24 PM

The title says your looking for the best 3" lift so I'm going to say Savvy/Currie. Based upon my research and experience, I think they make the best 3" short arm lift on the market. That is what I put on my 03 Rubicon last year and I could not be happier.

Currie Johnny Joints Suspension TJ LJ

I hear great things about the Fox shocks but I put Rancho 9000 on mine based upon the recommendation I got from Savvy Off-Road and they work very well.

birdy35 04-18-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues (Post 3654319)
Rubicon express superflex, teraflex with 8 adjustable control arms, savvy's Currie 3" are all very good and fairly comprehensive lifts that will provide you with great durability, great off road performance and daily driving comfort.
A basic 3" lift consists of springs and shocks and will likely leave you unhappy with ride quality.
Bilstien and old man emu make some great shocks and Rubicon express shocks are also manufactured by bilstien and valved specifically for their lifts.
Expect to spend 1500 to 2500 for a good quality lift.
If you want to go all out in ride quality then you could go long arm but the cos goes up dramatically.
Plan on a slip yoke eliminator, a rear CV drive shaft and an alignment as well.
Quality lifts will provide you with the performance you would like on and off road. Quality shocks will help even more. Skimping on either and going the rough country, BDS, skyjacker, zone, etc...will have you in the same position as many of my customers...spending a lot more in the long run to undo what they skimped on in the beginning or, in extreme cases, selling their jeeps.

I plan on doing it right. the OME ultimate lift kit might be the one for me but not sure yet. If I am going to spend this much, I want to do it right the first time. Would like to stay closer to the $1500 mark

jrussblues 04-18-2013 09:52 PM

If I remember correctly the ome kit consists of a 2" one lift, a body lift, and a motor mount lift. Its a good way to gain clearance and a good ride. The downfall always comes with the re-use of the factory arms. When a suspension is flexing it will bind on the factory arms right at about the point that a 2" lift spring will droop. By upgrading to a kit with better arms you will notice huge gains in flexibility and by pairing with the correct shock you will also notice huge gains in ride quality. Mine is not top of the line but here are what I can remember of my costs
3.5 super flex - 1300
1" body lift - 110
Bilstien 5100 shocks - 300
Sye - 250
Tom woods ds - 350
Tools to install - 100
Brake fluid - $5
I drove this jeep daily 150 miles round trip because it rode better than my ltz Tahoe. I also wheeled this jeep on 4 diamonds with 0 problems.

homebrwd 04-19-2013 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1320quick (Post 3654402)
The title says your looking for the best 3" lift so I'm going to say Savvy/Currie. Based upon my research and experience, I think they make the best 3" short arm lift on the market. That is what I put on my 03 Rubicon last year and I could not be happier.

Currie Johnny Joints Suspension TJ LJ

I hear great things about the Fox shocks but I put Rancho 9000 on mine based upon the recommendation I got from Savvy Off-Road and they work very well.


This ^^

AOR 04-19-2013 09:02 AM

Rock Krawler 2.5" X-Factor Suspension System (change the frame ends from bushings to Krawler Joints for $40.00)
Bilstein 5100s

You will net a little more than 2.5" of lift. Pricing is not always what it seems. :whistling:

MILK93 04-19-2013 12:17 PM

If you want save some money
Zone 4.25 combo has a 3in suspension and a 1.25 bbl under 600$

If you want to break the bank Currie has a very nice 4 inch lift. 2000K and up.

AOR 04-19-2013 12:44 PM

^^^ True dat. $581.03 shipped for the works.

birdy35 04-19-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MILK93 (Post 3656575)
If you want save some money
Zone 4.25 combo has a 3in suspension and a 1.25 bbl under 600$

If you want to break the bank Currie has a very nice 4 inch lift. 2000K and up.

That's not a bad price. I have heard that they are good lifts. I will have to research them this weekend along with some new tires

UnlimitedLJ04 04-19-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larjeep (Post 3654175)
Bds makes zone.

no they don't.

BDS and Zone share the same parent company, and likely share some manufacturing overlap. Kinda like Procomp, Smittybilt, Rubicon Express and 4-Wheel Parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MILK93 (Post 3656575)
If you want save some money
Zone 4.25 combo has a 3in suspension and a 1.25 bbl under 600$

If you want to break the bank Currie has a very nice 4 inch lift. 2000K and up.

but don't be confused into thinking $600 gets you the same stuff as $2000.

AOR 04-19-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3657287)
no they don't.

BDS and Zone share the same parent company, and likely share some manufacturing overlap. Kinda like Procomp, Smittybilt, Rubicon Express and 4-Wheel Parts.


but don't be confused into thinking $600 gets you the same stuff as $2000.

The $600 to 2000 comparison is correct but the first statement is not. The same engineers that design BDS are the ones that design Zone Offroad. They use the same computers and desks.

birdy35 04-19-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AOR (Post 3657539)

The $600 to 2000 comparison is correct but the first statement is not. The same engineers that design BDS are the ones that design Zone Offroad. They use the same computers and desks.

I work for a steel mill and supply lots of steel to these companies. I understand the manufacturing side of it. I'll do some research and see which one uses the best material for their products

Huelsmma 04-20-2013 09:37 AM

Ive come to realize that my local "jeep" shops are useless for the whole lift researching thing. They all want to peddle their product or the one they get the most kickback on. I just had a jeep shop/dealer who does a good amount of lifts tell me theyve never heard of OME. Then I tell him Im going with 15x8 wheel and he said, why would I want to do that? Why not a 17"?? Thats when I realized I needed to leave.

jrussblues 04-20-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huelsmma (Post 3660105)
Ive come to realize that my local "jeep" shops are useless for the whole lift researching thing. They all want to peddle their product or the one they get the most kickback on. I just had a jeep shop/dealer who does a good amount of lifts tell me theyve never heard of OME. Then I tell him Im going with 15x8 wheel and he said, why would I want to do that? Why not a 17"?? Thats when I realized I needed to leave.

Wow, true in some cases but not always. I always try to talk someone into the set up that is right for them, give them the benefits and drawbacks of any kit as well as associated costs and I'm always willing to show how a lift performs. The last thing I would want is to ruin reputation or see someone out on the trail unhappy with something I sold them...unless they were adamant about a product regardless of advice. Then again there is a very tight knit off road community in Louisiana.

Huelsmma 04-20-2013 10:20 PM

Speaking of Louisiana...I see your Duck Dynasty boys are running skyjacker setups on the otherwise bada** trucks.

spencerlj 04-22-2013 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrussblues (Post 3654529)
If I remember correctly the ome kit consists of a 2" one lift, a body lift, and a motor mount lift. Its a good way to gain clearance and a good ride. The downfall always comes with the re-use of the factory arms. When a suspension is flexing it will bind on the factory arms right at about the point that a 2" lift spring will droop. By upgrading to a kit with better arms you will notice huge gains in flexibility and by pairing with the correct shock you will also notice huge gains in ride quality. Mine is not top of the line but here are what I can remember of my costs
3.5 super flex - 1300
1" body lift - 110
Bilstien 5100 shocks - 300
Sye - 250
Tom woods ds - 350
Tools to install - 100
Brake fluid - $5
I drove this jeep daily 150 miles round trip because it rode better than my ltz Tahoe. I also wheeled this jeep on 4 diamonds with 0 problems.

I hear what you say about the Control Arms. Stressing the stock arms past the 2" suspension lift is the issue. On your setup you added a body lift with the 3.5" RE Superflex kit. I suppose that was because the RE Kit included new Arms whereas the OME Kit does not? Would adding new Arms to the OME Kit work just as well? Adding a JKS Control Arm kit for about $275-300 would work with the OME Kit? or does that not make sense. I am not a mechanic nor do I claim to be one. I am trying to make the right decision for myself.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 AM.